The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I think I have a new one after searching forums. I was taking the car out for a nice Covid distance drive. After a hard pull to the next light I went to accelerate and at 5000 rpm the car just lost all power. Well you know my first thought was oh F___! check engine light went on immediately but solid. I pulled over checked code and was 0122. I opened engine lid and sure enough TPS was hanging by a thread on only the lower screw. Well I pushed it back in and taped it and screwed lower one in by hand. Got home and cannibalized an old carb for correct screws and reattached. Well after restarting as soon as I touch the throttle it wants to die. So I took off the throttle body and ordered a new TPS sensor. Question is do I need to do anything else with regards to sensor when re-installing. Does the ecu need to re-learn the new sensor? The throttle body is super clean. FYI 2005 cable with VF1 s/c. I guess with hard motor mounts everything needs to be checked. Hahaha. Tommy

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I wouldn't buy a new one quite yet. They are analog devices, so it is easy to check if it works. Plug it in and see if you can use a needle-like probe to measure the voltage at the three wires. One pin should be 0V, one should be 5V and one should be somehwere in between depending on throttle position. You should be able to measure these with the engine off and move the throttle with your hand

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Just looked at the service manual. Pin 1 is ground (black), 2 is 5V, and 3 is signal. It'll either be from 4.5-0.5V or 0.5V-4.5V. I think it should be high at idle and low at WOT, but it'll be obvious which it is

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man. Yeah checked that and signal was erratic at best. I installed new one after leaving battery disconnected overnight and reinstalling throttle body and all other hard pipes it runs 100%! I will run some other diagnostic tests on original TPS but it must have been like this for some time. I made sure to use 242 threadlocker when re-installing and used better fasteners. Not so bad a job as I have coolant lines bypassed on throttle body. Thanks again Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts