The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Throttle Response on a 2010 Evora NA with Evora S clutch and flywheel

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  invictusmaneo 
#1 ·
So long story, won't get into the details, but had some transmission woes back in Nov. Conferred with the dealer after getting the car driving again and they ordered the latest (2013) shift cables under warranty and I had those done. Badabing Badaboom.

January 6th-I drive home from work at 6 pm just fine. Park the car in my garage, shut off, normal.

January 7th, 530 AM. I start my car and attempt to put it into gear. No Bueno. I won't go into all the details, but bottom line the friction plate was stuck engaged. No burning, smoking or slipping. Just stuck.

Get it towed to Lotus of Orlando. They contact Lotus, pull my logs, agree my car has been treated well and it doesn't make sense, authorize a clutch replacement under warranty (20k miles, 18 months of warranty left)

I decide to pony up for the Evora S flywheel and clutch. Important note. This is a roughly 1300 dollar upgrade over the NA parts. The clutch cover and flywheel are the expensive parts. It isn't cheap from any source (deroure, lotus garage, etc)

NA flywheel OEM is 16 pounds. S flywheel OEM is 11 pounds. I figure with my tune etc the heavier friction plate will be beneficial in the long run.

Picked it up today. Overall it shifts the same. Clutch takeup is different, but not dramatically so, from the NA car. Pedal feel is the same to me.

The flywheel makes the car much much more responsive from idle to about 5.5k. Above 5.5k it is about the same I think. It definitely likes to rev, and starting out and throttle blips can be much more subtle now.

Still breaking it in. Here is just a quick vid that I think illustrates my above comments

Guess I can add it to my list of mods :)

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
The Evora S has a lower mass flywheel, because its engine has to accelerate the rotating mass of the compressor too. The total inertia might be about the same, as the NA without charger.

On my NA Evora the gearbox is actually out for a warranty job. I will leave the standard flywheel on advice of a Lotus field engineer who had to decide about the fault.

#8 ·
Lighter flywheels are always an acceleration benefit at the expense of normal driveibility. Thus manufacturers lean on conservative side, one must access their own needs and desires.

#9 ·
The VSA one is 7.8 pounds. I looked at going that route with Alan but since my clutch was covered under warranty, the Lotus Tech Rep was ok with me using all Evora S parts, but not any aftermarket, as long as I paid the difference, so I stuck with the S parts.

Since I don't have back to back comparisons (the car was there for 3 weeks) it is hard to say the real changes. I don't think it is dramatic, but it is definitely a change. For the better IMHO.

I am still relearning the around town pickup points (and the clutch is still building material on the flywheel) and the amount of throttle needed now to blip for downshifts. It is certainly more responsive. Shifting is a bit different under heavy load, as the revs fall faster.

It is less happy in too high a gear now-below 2k it is a bit shuddery and cranky unless you're in first or second gear, and even in second sometimes it'll be a bit lumpy. Up high it is totally fine, but the lighter mass definitely has changed some of the behavior.

Ronny I think you're right though, the combination of lighter flywheel and more "Drag" so to say due to the SC makes stock throttle response on the S and NA cars similar.

On a side note, when they got my clutch apart, there was plenty of material left and nothing appeared broken (spacer and bearing included). The dealer was miffed. Thinking maybe a finger or spring in the clutch had a bind causing it to stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.