Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Anyone going with HoD on 1/31?

Thanks!

S.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Little too soon for me to do a trackday yet, else I would. Have fun!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'll be there as a coach, but after two back-to-back race weekends, my car will be getting a well-deserved service. Look for me by the coaches "tent" with what most people call the "Captain America" helmet.

Steve

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'll be there as a coach, but after two back-to-back race weekends, my car will be getting a well-deserved service. Look for me by the coaches "tent" with what most people call the "Captain America" helmet.

Steve
Cool I'll make sure I say :wave:

I'll be in my red 2005 "HOT ELIZ" FF275 :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys - yep, I'll see you there cstetter and Steve...

Hm, Sunnyvale and San Jose? I'm up in San Mateo... When are you guys heading up? I was thinking Friday afternoon/evening... Anyone up for caravaning?

Thanks!

S.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, where are you guys staying... I've heard some really bad stories about the Travelodge that HoD recommends - they used to be Best Western but lost their franchise because they were shut down by inspectors!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I always call (can't get the rate online) and get the Days Inn Willows Thunderhill Race Track Special.
Decent rate (64.99), clean room, and morning Continental Breakfast.

See link: Days Inn Willows Thunderhill Race Track Special

I know others stay at the Baymont Inn (which is former Travelodge/Best Western).

Don't get too tied up in where you are staying, you'll likely only be there a few hours for some zzz's. Have fun at the track!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'd always stayed in Baymount Inn. For the first time (in Nov.) tried out Days Inn. Both are fine for a track day stay.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Baymont is the best, by far. It is the most modern/refined, easily. I would say Day's Inn is my second choice. I don't like the Golden Pheasant, which is where HOD stays. Stayed there once, and the room was just plain ghetto. There's no better way to describe it.

At any rate, I am trying to clear my schedule to attend on the 31st. Let's see!

·
Registered
685 Posts
yea, baymont is my choice hotel when i'm up there. i did stay at the days inn for the 25 hour weekend and it was fine too. call and they usually will give you a better rate, just ask for the AAA discount even if you don't have one! :D

i'm available for private coaching :wave:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Also, where are you guys staying... I've heard some really bad stories about the Travelodge that HoD recommends - they used to be Best Western but lost their franchise because they were shut down by inspectors!!
i've never had any problem at the golden pheasant / best western / travelodge / whatever the current name is. not as nice as the baymont, but still serviceable. i stay there when i bring my dogs, very convenient yard area.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
i've never had any problem at the golden pheasant / best western / travelodge / whatever the current name is. not as nice as the baymont, but still serviceable. i stay there when i bring my dogs, very convenient yard area.
Well, FWIW, everything from a fit-and-finish standpoint was just cheaper/dirtier/older in the Golden Pheasant room I had. Also, the Golden Phesant room didn't have a fridge, and the bedding was less comfy. And if you want a second floor room to get away from people shouting directly outside your window, you have no options at the Golden Pheasant. But the thing that sorta "cemented it" for me was the fact that behind my bed, I could actually see the foundation of the structure; for some reason the flooring wasn't in place back there (that was the truly ghetto part of the room). Now, granted, the Baymont is no Bellagio or Four Seasons (I've had problems there too!), but it's an echelon better than the Golden Pheasant. But who knows --- maybe I just got the hooptiest room in the whole Pheasant complex. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
baymont is the former amerihost (or is it vice versa). a different hotel than the travelodge.

baymont is the nicest hotel there.
Ahh ok, with the name changes I got confused which was which. One of the reasons I like the Days Inn is you get a mini fridge, which makes it easy to prebuy and precool your drinks for the track. I put my slightly thawed gel packs in the freezer, drinks in the fridge and just throw it all in a collapsible cooler when I head out.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ahh ok, with the name changes I got confused which was which. One of the reasons I like the Days Inn is you get a mini fridge, which makes it easy to prebuy and precool your drinks for the track. I put my slightly thawed gel packs in the freezer, drinks in the fridge and just throw it all in a collapsible cooler when I head out.
Both Day's Inn and Baymont (formerly Amerihost) have fridges. I believe some rooms (but not all) at Golden Pheasant have fridges. And fridges are essential for those 106 degree Willlows summers. :)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Both Day's Inn and Baymont (formerly Amerihost) have fridges. I believe some rooms (but not all) at Golden Pheasant have fridges. And fridges are essential for those 106 degree Willlows summers. :)
Good to know. :bow:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys...

So, anyone up for the caravan from the San Jose/San Mateo area? :)

Thanks!

S.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys...

So, anyone up for the caravan from the San Jose/San Mateo area? :)

Thanks!

S.
I was going to drive up Friday night from San Jose but I was planning to stay in Sacramento - I am re-thinking that idea.

What time is everybody planning to leave for the drive up?

·
Registered
658 Posts
they have put fridges into some of the GP rooms. but take it from me, you don't want to use them. they must have done something to them to make them extra noisy. even louder than the rickety air conditioners. after about 3 minutes i unplugged it and threw my food away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts