The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking the Thunderhill High Performance driving school on 1/16 with my elise.
Elise owners in the Bay Area might want to think about it.
For $198, you get a 1.5 hrs of lecture, and 5 20-min sessions of track time w/ an instructor next to you.

http://www.thunderhill.com/school.html

I don't see any school schduled in Feb / March / April on the Thunderhill wbe site. It's going to be a while if you miss this one.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm signed up with my M3... want to get as many thunderhill days in before the weather hits the 100s... I'll seek you out...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does anyone know if the Elise qualifies for use on the track since it does not have a roll bar?? By what I was reading on their web site it would not.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Best is to contact them directly... but, the Elise has a Targa top, not convertible (since the backlight - aka rear window, is fixed).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
beinmymirror said:
Does anyone know if the Elise qualifies for use on the track since it does not have a roll bar?? By what I was reading on their web site it would not.
I suppose it could also be argued that the Elise does, in fact, have a rollbar. I mean, there is a substantial bar that attaches to the chassis at four points & goes under the rear seaction of the roof with.

note the rearward cross-braces (don't know if they are considered cross-braces or butresses or supports, but they seem to be there for support) ;)

Has anyone been to one of these events and can comment on them? I'm pretty interested in going even though my Elise will *still* not be here, but might opt out if someone has had a bad experience at one of these events (put on by this group, I should say), i.e. too many cars, not challenging, etc.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
svllotus said:
I don't see any school schduled in Feb / March / April on the Thunderhill wbe site. It's going to be a while if you miss this one.
There are other schools that you can join at THill. I'll be there in mid April with the NorCal Shelby club.

Speedventures, Trackmasters, PCA, BMWCCA are all fine groups to drive with.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
BrianK said:
II'm pretty interested in going even though my Elise will *still* not be here, but might opt out if someone has had a bad experience at one of these events (put on by this group, I should say), i.e. too many cars, not challenging, etc.
I did this same scca school at t-hill last month. 3 run groups; maybe 70 cars total; surprinsingly few freight trains. in all, there was less traffic per run than my various bmw school days at sears. each group got 5 20-minute runs, plus advanced students could run in the one instructor run at the end of the day.

not challenging? Well, it wasn't timed, and it's not a race, and i don't think t-hill is as challenging as sears... also, the skill level of students is lower than the bmw ggc chapter.

overall, it was a timely and perfectly organized event. if you're fast, and run in advanced you'll have plenty of space to push your car.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
FYI: Just heard back from Thunderhill people:

All convertibles must have a rollbar. Targa top type cars are ok with the
top on.

Sorry but this is currently the rules. Your new car has a roll bar so it
should be ok.
:D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I removed my interior trim panels (unneeded weight) and found, guess what! A rollbar!
The Elise does have a steel four point rollbar.
I will be at Thunderhill on the 8th and 9th instructing for the Audi club........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts