The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Done on used Yoko S01 (on OEM wheels) I got dontated last year (june/july) at Laguna Seca LC USA event, no idea how many heat cycles prior and I've put three race weekends on them. I have a new set of Hoosier A6's on my prefered Monolite wheels, but never used them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07RqpdACTE

ACR/NCRC race results:

Race 1: pole (ahead of Radical and Formula Mazda), but spun lap 1, raced back to a 3rd spot finish
Race 2: late to grid so started dead last, but won ... passed the Radical but I think he was having mechanical issues

More video later

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Nicely done. I wasn't expecting to see a spin so early in the race.

How many races/weekends before the transmission needs a rebuild?

It must be awesome for the Miata drivers to see you and a Radical go by them like that. Impressive.

It would be greatly appreciated if you also posted your videos here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120041

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicely done. I wasn't expecting to see a spin so early in the race.

How many races/weekends before the transmission needs a rebuild?

It must be awesome for the Miata drivers to see you and a Radical go by them like that. Impressive.

It would be greatly appreciated if you also posted your videos here:
Post your track videos here! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

Thanks

It's hard to get heat in very old Yoko S01's ... usually takes three laps, I know this and should have adjusted entry speed accordingly. Obviously the Radical and Formula Mazda should handle better in the corners so I was trying to hold them off until I got some breathing room.

Not sure why you want my video in a thread that is 30 pages long? I find it that most people rarely make it past the 1st page before they lose interest.

Cheers, Rob.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
It's hard to get heat in very old Yoko S01's ... usually takes three laps, I know this and should have adjusted entry speed accordingly. Obviously the Radical and Formula Mazda should handle better in the corners so I was trying to hold them off until I got some breathing room.

Not sure why you want my video in a thread that is 30 pages long? I find it that most people rarely make it past the 1st page before they lose interest.

Cheers, Rob.

They should start with the last post?
Which would be yours.
It's mostly visited by drivers looking to improve, so videos of good drivers are important for the thread.
They also don't have to jump from thread to thread.
Thanks again,
Great driving.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's stupendously fast. Nice job. I wish I had both the car and the skill to drive like that.
Thank you sir. Turbo setup is holding up very well, 20 hours so far, Quaife transmission has 38.5 hours on it.

I'm probably going to do a rebuild on the Quaife soon, typically don't want them to go beyond 40 hours without some TLC.

I sorta wish I had used my new Tires on my good monolite wheels to see what it could really do ... next time (which I think is June with LC USA).

Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does your car weigh, how much power does it make, and do you have aero?

My street-car Elise, mostly stock except for reliability improvements and Nitrons, is good for about 2:02 over the bypass, and I'm running out of room to improve with this car, I can pick up maybe one more second if I pull off each turn with absolute perfection, but that kind of consistency is difficult. I'd love to know what it takes to go 11s faster :)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1974 lbs with my girth in it and 3 gallons or so of fuel ... keep in mind it's a race car with a bunch of safety equipment in it. Power is 320 wHP - 249 TQ. Aero is Reverie front splitter and Reverie rear wing with extensions to bring it up higher.

I never feel I pull off every corner to absolute perfection, even more so when I review my video and data. I know a good lap from a bad lap, but hitting a perfect lap never. In this particular 1:50.9 lap I got pretty close to my PLAP which was a 1:50.6 so I'm certainly happy with the lap, but it's not perfect. On new tires and good weather conditions I'm certain the car is capable of 1:46-1:47 range.

When I raced shifter Karts I used to practice A LOT (3 days a week) and it made a huge difference in lap performance ... wish I could do the same with my Lotus but cost to practice that much are well beyond my financial motivation. I recommend anyone that wants to go faster, get a shifter Kart and go practice/race it ... it is by far the best learning tool I've ever enjoyed (better than Race schools BMWCCA, better than SCCA, better than track days).

My car still has a good long list of items I want to upgrade ... for the most part I'm a garage hack but have some good support from DRS, DMC, Dietsch Werks to help me continue racing/development. I do a lot of my own work but I also know my limitations on tools/equipment so engine build is DRS, turbo setup is DMC, transmission assembly and suspension setup is Dietsch Werks and I do a lot of other fabrication to put it all together in a reliable package.

So if you are looking to find time in the car in terms of hardware/setup then I'd recommend you contact the folks I listed above and practice, practice, practice.

Cheers, Rob.

·
hello
295 Posts
This looked like a lot of fun :)

Out of curiosity, what camera are you using? Albeit the car vibrations you get very crisp images and a good sense of speed and distance.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This looked like a lot of fun :)

Out of curiosity, what camera are you using? Albeit the car vibrations you get very crisp images and a good sense of speed and distance.
GoPro Black Edition

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not as often as I'd like. Still haven't been out this year. The fact that most Laguna days are now at 90db makes Laguna even rarer. I also have a hard time doing weekday events.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Congratulations

Rob;

Great time!

Looks way too easy. You are not going fast enough! :)
I think, 1:47 is in sight... except for the spin-out.

Anton

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not as often as I'd like. Still haven't been out this year. The fact that most Laguna days are now at 90db makes Laguna even rarer. I also have a hard time doing weekday events.
Lotus Cup USA do have a 105db day at Laguna Seca now - give them go ... I have no problem passing that with my Turbo setup (below 103 db) ... my car is positively quiet, I watched my friend go by Start/Finish at 140 mph and I hear the brake decel noise more than the engine sound.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rob;

Great time!

Looks way too easy. You are not going fast enough! :)
I think, 1:47 is in sight... except for the spin-out.

Anton
Thanks Anton ... sure is, new set of tires and tidy up a few spots here and there.

I'm really enjoying my Pilbeam AP dual masters setup with balance bar, just so so much more brake feel now without ABS and that crazy brake servo/booster setup Lotus use -- I hope they don't put that junk in 2-11s.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Lotus Cup USA do have a 105db day at Laguna Seca now - give them go ... I have no problem passing that with my Turbo setup (below 103 db) ... my car is positively quiet, I watched my friend go by Start/Finish at 140 mph and I hear the brake decel noise more than the engine sound.
Hey Rob,

Just an FYI: no 105db weekend for Lotus Cup -- it's back to 92db for 2014. :(

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that's sad to hear Jack, guess it's Thunderhill and Sonoma for me ... too bad, was looking forward to Laguna.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Well that's sad to hear Jack, guess it's Thunderhill and Sonoma for me ... too bad, was looking forward to Laguna.
Yeah, I agree -- no Laguna for me either. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts