The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inlet of my Ti exhaust muffler was damaged; I tried to get a replacement part from the manufacturer in Japan with no luck.

I'm thinking about cutting off the broken portion, and then use a flexible connector like the one pictured to bridge the gap and to prevent similar future damage -
Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
S-Pops,

1) Was this not posted 1/2 year ago?

Titanium welders are not too common.
But in SoCal they might be with the aerospace, and then also where there are bicycle frames.
Going to Boeing etc, will not result in any good outcome as they will sick the guard dogs on you near the lobby.
I would not believe that "any performance shop" can it, even if they could, they do not likely have the materials.

So you will need the replacement tubing.
And welding rod if you can happen to find a TIG welder that is willing to try.
You will also need a back purge, so at the minimum some bungs, assuming that he has a multi-regulated system for "back purging" and "trail purging".
Since one would really only have the set up if they were doing titanium, you will need someone who specifically can do (read does) titanium.
Personally I would have him do a practice piece, on some extra tubing.
The set up for the regulators should be like the out of focus blue part in the picture... (The blue part with the three flow regulator)

So I would contact Santana Bicycles somewhere off the 10, or maybe the 57, as they will be able to steer you to who can weld it... If anyone can

I would suggest Titanium Joe (google) for the tubing.

I would use the flexy part. It is a good idea.
It is easier to replace that from over flexing that the muffler from overflexing... And they are made to flex, whereas a pipe/tube is usually not.
If the flexi is not lasting then there are probably issues with needing another one somewhere else down the pipe, or controlling the engine movement with mounts.
But the exhaust should be able to cope with the engine movement.
You should have the flexi close to the center of the engine's rotation on the mounts, which may be difficult with the manifold. It is easier on a Rover engine where the exhaust goes under the engine. On the Toyota the exhaust would need to come forward (aka blown diffuser style - which is clearly not viable), so I suspect that you need a flexi as close to the manifold as possible (not sure which side of the cat I would go though)... and maybe one closer to the muffler to take out bending moments.
There is a place in Laguna Nigel or Newport that does specialized motorsport bellows...
(wow I found it):Reid Washbon Racing | Inconel Bellows - Stainless Steel Bellows
I would start with them, and I would probably contact Santana cycles as well to find a welder.
If you to Reid Washington, see if they have V-Bands for titanium. One on the Muffler side and then a regular steel or inconel one of the other side would make the job much easier, and very clean. I am interested to know if there is such a thing as a titanium V-Band??

Alternatively my offer of taking if you throw it away still stands from 6-12 months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Holmz:

Yes, this Ti 15lb wonder was on my S240 until I sustained permanent hearing loss, I put the OEM boat anchor back on it because I wanted to sell the car. I just sold the 240 last week, and I’m planning on repairing this Ti exhaust to be installed on my S260. Thanks again for your offer, help, and information.

I lived in Laguna Niguel in the 70s when Crown Valley parkway was a two way steet with only one stop sign at Nigel road.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hi Holmz:

Yes, this Ti 15lb wonder was on my S240 until I sustained permanent hearing loss, I put the OEM boat anchor back on it because I wanted to sell the car. I just sold the 240 last week, and I’m planning on repairing this Ti exhaust to be installed on my S260. Thanks again for your offer, help, and information.

I lived in Laguna Niguel in the 70s when Crown Valley parkway was a two way street with only one stop sign at Nigel road.
I was in Huntington Beach (at Marina High) at the latter part of the 70's.

I think there should be enough info in my post above to get you going, and I am keenly interested in the V-Bands. You might be able to get some turned on a lathe...???
By the looks of it, I think Reid Washington is you best bet, but I have only emailed and phone chatted with them.

As for the hearing loss, I hear what you are saying...
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/holmz-skoolin-lesson-noise-spl-60235/ , and few people are interested in the noise level over the coolness factor of a sporty exhaust. But foam ear plugs are cheap and they provide a viable solution which I use often.

All the best,
~Holmz

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Hi Holmz:

That exhaust isn't light (especially for titanium). I wouldn't spend much trying to fix it. You could buy a new exhaust that's much lighter for less than you'll spend to repair yours. Every exhaust BOE sells is lighter than 15 lbs.

San

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Let me know if you find a solution. My Arqray isn't broken *knock on titanium* but I love the unique sound no other exhaust makes, and would definitely wanna fix it if this happened to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know it's a long shot but I would look into the little world of motorcycle where aftermarket Ti exhaust and headers are quite common.

California based Company "Double Dog" (Welcome to Double Dog Moto) is pretty damned skilled when it comes to Ti welding.
If they cant do anything for you, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kimgt
If you haven't already solved this, I know of a guy who can weld Ti, and is local to the Torrance/Carson area. Please let me know and I can put you in touch with him.
Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated; Harry at A1 had given me a referral to a guy named Jose at Kaizen Motorsports. However; he’s inland and I’m in West LA, the South Bay is much closer to me geographically, therefore I would welcome your referral (Kimgt).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts