The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note, even if you're not a travelling sportsperson, a baby stroller will get charged extra if you check one in at certain airlines! I just sent my protest via email on the link below and i did get an automated response from: [email protected] so, your voice will hopefully be heard.

http://www.elliott.org/blog/ticked-off-skiers-launch-grassroots-efforts-to-lift-new-baggage-fees/

They may be a little late to the game, but then again, the first skiers who will probably be hit by these fees won’t see them until this summer (winter in South American ski resorts like Valle Nevado and Cerro Catedral). But a group of skiers is protesting the planned second-bag surcharge that United Airlines and US Airways have announced, hoping to enlist scuba divers, golfers and parents with strollers to their cause.

The woman behind the protest is skier and travel agent Harriet Warner, who is concerned that her clients will pay extra for their vacations. But, she says, the policy change affects “all travelers who cannot possibly travel with just one piece of luggage.”

We had posted a link on our ski club web site for people to send protest emails to United Airlines. Many skiers responded and got canned responses that indicate it’s a done deal.

So Warner, who is based in New Jersey, started a protest Web site. “The site will not collect email addresses or claim affiliation to any ski club or travel business,” she says. “It will only forward the messages to the customer service e-mails.”

If United and US Airways get enough e-mails, they may exempt skis and other sports equipment from the new second-bag surcharge. But it will take a concerted effort, not only by skiers, but scuba divers, concerned moms, golfers and air traveler advocates.

Are there any air traveler advocates left out there?

Please pass the protest link http://dneba.com/BaggageProtest/ to anyone you know who travels, golfers, divers, skiers, parents who need to travel with car seats and strollers or anyone who needs to take more than 1 bag.

This site does not collect email addresses and does not have any ski club or travel agency affiliation. The first protest letter is to United Airlines to urge them to reconsider implementing this surcharge. The second letter is to other airlines urging them not to follow United Airlines surcharge policy. Please support this protest!

Thanks,
Harriet Warner
West Long Branch Ski Club

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My favorite check luggage story...

I was checking a snow board. The girl at the counter said, oh there is an extra fee for skis. I said oh thats good, but this isnt a pair of skis. She said well let me look something up....proceeds to do so.

So I asked her what she was looking up and she said she was looking for fees for snow boards. I told her "Oh, thank you, your too kind." She looked at me with a mean face and checked the board without adding any fees.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
On another note...i heard these extra fees for second pieces of luggage was due to weight and fuel issues. Lighter plane = less fuel consumption.

When do you think they will start weighting passengers. Ive heard talk about making some people have to buy 2 tickets. Never actually seen that done before.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have always envisioned a total maximum weight fee. I know it might sound mean, but I think it is fair. Imagine everyone had a 300lb weight limit total. This means them and all their baggage, both carry on and checked. With a fixed total weight target, a surcharge could be made for every lb above that target 300lbs. It is too politically incorrect for this country, but it would make life a lot easier if there was one big scale you had to stand on with all your stuff.

I think it would help lead to a solution for both the weight/fuel problem and the guy sitting next to me who can't fit in his own seat so he needs part of mine problem.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you check in a baby stroller on United along with a suitcase, you will be charged an exta $25......

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I wish they charged more for screaming babies too.
I'd pay more if they'd pack them in the luggage compartment.
It must be OK since it's what they do with animals, right?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you check in a baby stroller on United along with a suitcase, you will be charged an exta $25......
Most people take the stroller with them through security and have it checked at the gate - so they going to nail those people too? Kind of silly considering how light they are in comparison to 50lb. suitcases...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
They may be a little late to the game, but then again, the first skiers who will probably be hit by these fees won’t see them until this summer (winter in South American ski resorts like Valle Nevado and Cerro Catedral).
Those poor people...whatever will they do?;)

The airlines are going to cut costs and no one is going to feel sorry for skiers paying an extra $25 to check a pair of skis...:wave:

:shift:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

The airlines are going to cut costs and no one is going to feel sorry for skiers paying an extra $25 to check a pair of skis...
I know, the people that want the lowest possible ticket prices will instead be happy if all airlines raised the cost of every ticket by $50 to cover the cost of fuel, wages, etc. and then let people take extra luggage/skis/strollers/etc. for free like it used to be.

Or, they can lower prices across the board (or at least try to hold them low instead of raising them), and charge extra for the services that not everyone uses. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have always envisioned a total maximum weight fee. I know it might sound mean, but I think it is fair. Imagine everyone had a 300lb weight limit total. This means them and all their baggage, both carry on and checked. With a fixed total weight target, a surcharge could be made for every lb above that target 300lbs. It is too politically incorrect for this country, but it would make life a lot easier if there was one big scale you had to stand on with all your stuff.

I think it would help lead to a solution for both the weight/fuel problem and the guy sitting next to me who can't fit in his own seat so he needs part of mine problem.
So would this mean that people who weight a lot could not be considered "green" even if they drove a Prius?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not sure how that is related, but I think the Prius is overhyped too. I would rather have a small fuel efficient car that is fun to drive or a diesel any day.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The airlines are going to cut costs and no one is going to feel sorry for skiers paying an extra $25 to check a pair of skis...:wave:

:shift:
Well, this fee applies to anyone who checks in 2 pieces of luggage, not skis in particular...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, here's Delta Airlines response to the email i sent to them:

Dear Delta Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

We certainly understand the issues surrounding the addition of our new
fees as well as the increase of some existing ones. However, as fuel
costs continue to reach record levels, Delta must be prudent and run
our
business in a way that ensures we are here to bring you to your
favorite
destinations for a long time to come.

Keep in mind that if you are a Delta Medallion Member, or if you choose

to purchase a First or Business Class ticket, you will not incur a fee
for a second checked bag.

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your thoughts on
Delta's products and services and hope for your understanding as we do
our best to remain a strong carrier so that we may continue serving our

customers all over the globe.

We welcome further opportunities to be of service.

Sincerely,

Denise Anderson
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

You have a chance to pick up a large group of frequent travelers as
loyal customers,
if you can resist following United Airlines’ announced decision to
impose a $25
surcharge on all pieces of baggage above one.

I am, like thousands of others, a skier and a golfer, and obviously I
carry my skis
and clubs with me on my trips. United’s plan will make any of my
trips
on their
airline more expensive than those on other airlines, and so of course
you can
understand that, should they impose it, I will never again be willing
to
choose
United for my trips.

If you were able to refuse to follow United’s lead, you would
immediately
become much more attractive to me and many others. This is, then, a
chance to build a
loyal following, the kind of chance that does not often present itself.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email, and tell me what your plans
are.
Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Well, this fee applies to anyone who checks in 2 pieces of luggage, not skis in particular...
Yes, I get it. They are charging people for what they use. I fly more miles a year than just about anyone and I don't see the issue.

Can someone photoshop Don Quixote with a ski in place of his lance :D

·
Registered
856 Posts
Bah!!! I have been paying as much as $100 for the past 30 years every time I fly with a bike. It is really hard for me to feel sorry for other people finally paying for their own excess baggage.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I hardly ever have more than one bag to check in. I don't remember the last time I had two and I was on a plane every week for years.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Email to US Airways sent.

I have travelled all over the world with only one carry-on, and have never felt the need for a 2nd bag. The only exceptions are when I need to carry my skis, my golf clubs and my bike (not all at once, of course). They've charged me up to $100 per bike each way, even though it only weighs 18 lbs. I asked the clerk why, and she says because it's an odd size, and weighs a lot. My golf clubs weigh more than this, but it's free. My skis are "overdimensioned", but they don't charge for that either (at least, not yet). It all comes down to fairness. I would support others on this thread who say just charge a higher fare for everyone, and stop discriminating against certain sports. The airlines claim that it's the weight, or the odd dimensions, or the fuel, but bottom line is, they're short on cash. So, why not just raise the rates, instead of hiding all these extra charges.

p.s. I just came back from a ski trip on US Airways last weekend. It took me one hour to retrieve my skis from Sky Harbor airport. This airport is the head office, and main hub for US Airways, and you would think that things could run just a little better in their back yard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts