The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting, though I'm a bit skeptical:

FOXNews.com - Ticket Insurance Could Mean Never Paying Another Speeding Ticket - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Don’t like paying speeding tickets? Now you won't have too, if you buy into a new service called Traffic Care.

Founded by retired police officer Troy Simpson, Traffic Care works as a ticket insurance that picks up the tab for ticket fines and for subsequent increases in insurance premiums, MyFOXKC.com reported.

“A ticket is written every 2 seconds in America,“ Simpson told the TV station, “I knew that the traffic ticket industry — and it is an industry — is a billion-dollar-a-year industry nationally.”

Simpson now taps into that industry, by offering to cover ticket costs for a monthly fee of $12.95. Traffic Care members are allowed up to seven moving violations per month, including “speeding, red light, seatbelt, stop sign, yield sign, illegal lane change, anything considered hazardous,” Simpson said. Parking tickets aren't included.

At $156 a year, some drivers may question the service’s worth. One Traffic Care customer told the station, however, that she’s never gotten a ticket but pays for the peace of mind. Traffic Care says 80 percent of its clients never get tickets, the station reported.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Anyone else read this as $12.95 tax to drive without due care?

I drive fast, but I put a lot of thought into safety first. This kind of a service worries me. In the wrong hands, it's just a license to be an idiot.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
It sounds to good to be true and also scary. I agree, in the wrong hands, this is bad news.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't understand the business side of this? How will they ever make any money?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't understand the business side of this? How will they ever make any money?

The same way regular car insurance makes money. The only flaw to their idea is that they have to be able to convince the non speeders that it's the thing to do.

The speeders over time who have coverage will speak highly of the insurance program once they get their first ticket paid no questions asked. This will then fortify their position that they did the right thing and paying the premium is worth it. They will then convince other people that it's "worth" it.

Over time, it could make lot's of money. Insurance is gambling..... you bet you WON'T get into an accident or that you WON'T speed. The insurance gambles that you WILL speed and that you WILL get into an accident.

The result is most of the time Customers are right. They DON'T speed or get into accidents. Hence the insurance company makes money.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Seven moving violations per month? Pretty sure your license would be suspended before then. IMO, this program creates an issue with morale hazard, which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Seven moving violations per month? Pretty sure your license would be suspended before then. IMO, this program creates an issue with morale hazard, which is not a good thing.
Indeed - especially since they're just paying the fines and your license still gets the points.

Much better off just finding an attorney, IMHO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting thought, but money and time lost via losing your license doesnt outweigh the cost of "well my ticket was at least paid".

·
Registered
744 Posts
Why do people think people getting this insurance would start driving recklessly? I'm sure there are few that would see this as a license to do so, but most people will still drive safely.

Also, you guys act like the tickets issued are always with safety as the #1 priority in mind. Is failure to do a complete stop at a empty intersection a hazard to anyone? Going 10 over in an empty freeway dangerous? Yet there are tickets issued for these supposed dangerous acts.

Saying having this insurance will make people do dangerous things is like saying having regular auto insurance will make people start randomly running their cars into things because they have insurance.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If I could do this I would drive 100mph plus all the time. I am sure it carves out violations over say 10mph or 15mph over.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why do people think people getting this insurance would start driving recklessly? I'm sure there are few that would see this as a license to do so, but most people will still drive safely.

+1

Study after study have shown that speed limits are set far too low (really) and that regardless if they set the speed limit at 15 or 150, people will still drive the same speed. For the most part, people completely ignore the speed limit and drive at the speed that they feel comfortable at for the traffic, weather conditions, the vehicle, and the road. Tickets are simply a money making scam. (always fight them trial by declaration)

·
Registered
31 Posts
So what if you live in a area with Speed Cameras? You could just drive though those areas w/o a care.

I have received 2 in Wash DC at $ 50.00 each.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Also, you guys act like the tickets issued are always with safety as the #1 priority in mind. Is failure to do a complete stop at a empty intersection a hazard to anyone? Going 10 over in an empty freeway dangerous? Yet there are tickets issued for these supposed dangerous acts.

Saying having this insurance will make people do dangerous things is like saying having regular auto insurance will make people start randomly running their cars into things because they have insurance.
I think that the reason people have this opinion is that, other than points on your license, there are no penalties to be paid. So as you point out if, because of the fact I have auto insurance, I decide that I'm going to run into other cars: I still have to worry about the ticket, I still have to worry about paying my deductible, I still have to worry about potential injuries I might sustain, I still have to worry about the next three years of higher insurance premiums...

Then I look at the clientele likely to purchase such insurance. The 10-over person probably won't be the one. It'll be the habitual offenders who generally take it to the next level.

FWIW, I think speed limits are set too low (for a reason we all know), especially given the performance of today's vehicles versus the vehicles that were on the road the last time it was set at 70 (mmm...bias-ply tires, drum brakes, no ABS, leaf spring suspensions, no crumple zones, no three-point belts, no airbags, etc). They are supposed to be set at the 85th-percentile speed for the flow of traffic. From experience, I can tell you that a lot more people are over 70 in a 70. I try to keep it within reason; generally, I like to go just a bit faster than the flow of traffic, but not to the point that the speed differential creates serious problems or screams pull me over.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think that the reason people have this opinion is that, other than points on your license, there are no penalties to be paid. So as you point out if, because of the fact I have auto insurance, I decide that I'm going to run into other cars: I still have to worry about the ticket, I still have to worry about paying my deductible, I still have to worry about potential injuries I might sustain, I still have to worry about the next three years of higher insurance premiums...

Then I look at the clientele likely to purchase such insurance. The 10-over person probably won't be the one. It'll be the habitual offenders who generally take it to the next level.
Actually, there would still be penalties to be paid similar to that of an accident with automobile insurance. You still have to deal with points on your tickets, and excessive points means you lose your license. Also, even though you don't have to deal with the rise in premiums, too many tickets may results in losing your insurance. So it's not really a free lunch. It's just a precaution so you don't have to worry about those chicken s*** tickets that has nothing to do with safety.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Actually, there would still be penalties to be paid similar to that of an accident with automobile insurance. You still have to deal with points on your tickets, and excessive points means you lose your license. Also, even though you don't have to deal with the rise in premiums, too many tickets may results in losing your insurance. So it's not really a free lunch. It's just a precaution so you don't have to worry about those chicken s*** tickets that has nothing to do with safety.
Not the same thing, really. Excessive points with or without this insurance and you lose your license. The only other disincentive would be, as you point out, losing your insurance. Now at that rate, perhaps you get a non-standard carrier to write you, based on what has been said this insurance pays for your premium increases (unless there are conditions in the contract that must otherwise be met that we don't know about). So, while it's not a free lunch, you're eating from the value menu.

Believe me, I sell insurance and I think that speeding is WAY overrated as a risk-determining factor and I recognize that it's a great revenue generator for the jurisdiction in which one is caught. The thing is, the day I have to take insurance out against speeding tickets (or traffic fines, in general) is the day I may need to re-evaluate how I'm driving. If I'm one of the 10 over variety, chances are there will be very little benefit realized on my end, since we're not talking about losses potentially in the thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
291 Posts

+1 Well said.

While I agree that with this insurance people will be more likely to cut loose a little more it's not like they're going to just go crazy. They aren't going to act any differently when they see a cop. They aren't going to want to get a ticket. This is a 'just in case'.

How do they make money? From the article: "Trafficare says 80 percent of its clients never get tickets, the station reported."

Where do I sign up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts