The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure the "new" LotusTalk allows people to mention what projects they have been working on but I figured, I have been a member for a while, I am super excited that all of my work is finally getting out there for everyone to see and I want to share it with all of you... so what the heck, lets see if they let it go or delete it from the site!

Dave

I am very happy to announce the beta launch of TidalTV! As most of you know, my coworkers and I have been working hard on this new online TV destination. Whether it’s your passion for fashion or your love of a good crime caper that motivates you, TidalTV has something for everyone – with top-rated, top-notch network television series and enthusiast programming from CBS, NBC News, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TV Guide Network, The Weather Channel, Sports Illustrated, Vogue.TV, Wedding TV and more.

Best of all, it's totally free (no cost, no download, no registration required) and as easy to use as your TV at home. Just turn it on, sit back and enjoy!

And this is only the start. We are adding new shows every day while continually enhancing our site to ensure the best possible experience – taking feedback directly from you the viewer to build a better destination for the people, by the people! So check it out, let us know what you think – and tell your friends!

TidalTV | Beta

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Sweet I like the format a lot I cant wait for more shows and channels! Keep it up

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
very cool! good luck

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Very very cool Dave!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words all!

We are adding more content daily. The live section is updated on a regular basis as is the featured section.

The development team takes every recommendation to heart and updates are made to our player to help make the experience better for the viewers.

Anyhow, glad you like it!

Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am REALLY impressed with this.

A couple of nitpicky suggestions: using a lighter blue on text with the gradient backgrounds (Featured Programs), right now it's a little tough to read with so little contrast.

And can I get a type-ahead search function (a-la Outlook) to filter through all the avalable shows?

I'm sure the feedback graphic area will be switched adverts eventually, but in the mean time, it feels waay too big and in the way. Make the video larger to fill that space and put the feedback bottom right, or under the featured program list.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
It's safe to say this is a site I could throw my support behind. ;) :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I like it! Better resolution would be preferred (I know it's a work in progress and that's not helped by the fact that I rarely stray from my HD channels). Still, great idea! :clap:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!
Resolution, yes, tough balance. The main thing to consider is what datarte a viewer can handle.
We do have some plans to improve this and very soon. The best part is that we can do this without sacrificing bitrate.

The technology of it is amazingly cool. I find myself learning something daily.

Thanks again for all the kind words and great advice!

Dave

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
How is the trend by HSI providers to charge high usage users a premium and/or shut them off once they exceed their usage limits going to affect this? Is the bandwidth usage relatively high?

·
Registered
145 Posts
This site gets a big thumbs up! :up:
If you have content that rivals basic cable, it's a sure-fire hit. My in-laws get all their Russian television/movies via internet...I like it a lot!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
How is the trend by HSI providers to charge high usage users a premium and/or shut them off once they exceed their usage limits going to affect this? Is the bandwidth usage relatively high?
You're speaking of net neutrality, I believe. My Partner recently testified in front of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on the issue, which is vital to the future of content delivery.

Here's her statement. For those that are interested, it's a good read:

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, right now the Internet Service Providers are just testing metered services, but they are aiming at a 5 gig limit. Our half hour programs for example, are in the 90-100 megabite range in size. So I guess to answer your question, the bandwidth usage is relatively low. Should you be faced with limits, we should have little impact on your service.

That is the balance I mentioned, it is a balance between file size and quality. HD would be doable, but with huge file sizes and possability of more annoying buffering. Tiny files would look and sound horrible, but would load lightning fast!

Dave

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You're speaking of net neutrality, I believe. My Partner recently testified in front of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on the issue, which is vital to the future of content delivery.

Here's her statement. For those that are interested, it's a good read:
Thanks for the link, and yes metered internet is rearing its ugly head and fast.

·
Registered
582 Posts
AWESOME-O!
For the interface it is VERY Fast, props (or was that cache :D ).

Request: Little Britian, the whole series :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts