The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a thread of minutae about the functioning of your car that every new owner should know? These are the small details that you may not be aware of, or that are easily overlooked in the manual. Like:

- There's a pocket on top of the battery cover for the owner's manual binder, and on the side of the battery cover for your tool kit. (Not sure why there's velcro on the tool kit -- it fits in the pocket.)

- When you lock your car, you can turn off the alarm motion sensor by pressing the small fob button TWICE within 20 seconds. (Do the presses slowly -- it's slow to respond. It beeps after each press.)

- According to the manual, when installing the soft-top, you should start with the driver's side, to avoid damage to the cables.

There are a million more, of course. Anyone care to throw a few in?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Watch out for friends & family trying to shut the trunk lid by just pushing down on it. I've had 2 people bend the rod because they just assumed it was a hydralic type. The rod is so thin and light that it isn't a big deal to bend it back but...it's never going to be perfect again.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
There's a great pocket in the trunk, rear driver's side, which will perfectly hold a six pack of beer.

Make sure you hand straighten the front and back of the soft top when putting it on the driver's side (the start). Otherwise you might not have a perfect looking fit when you're done.

Standard cup holders found at KMart work great for drinks. Who need a big center console?

I already mentioned that you can remove the top while sitting at a light in under 10 seconds, storing it on the passenger floor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wait a minute now. You guys get a tool kit ??????? Now that REALLY separates the S3's from the S1's !! Seriously, what do they give you in an Elise tool kit ???? A wheel brace ? No, no spare wheel. Errr, a jack ? No, see previous. An allen key for tightening the soft top ? No, only the S1 needs that. So what do they give you ?

Reason I am interested is that Elise owners tend to go minimal for their cars in every respect. I have a (self provided) mini tool kit - one mini crescent, one 13 mm wrench (battery terminals), one mini torch (flash light ?) about 2 inches long. One tube silicon (for windscreen leaks - Don't ask !!). 2 allen keys (for door trim and luggage rack). And a Leatherman. That is it, and in 5 years all I have ever needed for on the road. And everything attaches to the carpet in the boot (trunk) with velcro strips to stop it moving around.

Interested to hear about your tool kit !!

Giles.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's really small. Has the key for the wheel locks, and a few other small parts. I'll need to look and see just what's in it.

But YOUR post has me interested -- WHAT LUGGAGE RACK???? I want a luggage rack! Please send pics/info!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The lower right corner, the long shaft is the torx for taking off the wheel bolts you use in conjunction with a socket/torque wrench.

The little small bit next to it is the key for the wheel lock nut (it has a different shap to prevent thieves from steeling your wheels) Tho, I don't think they fit on anything else in the US.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
First mod... dump the wheel locks. Buy 4 more regular bolts. :)

I only found one shorter allen key in my kit.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I only found one shorter Allen key in my kit.
I one Allen key is used to remove the front covers (behind the radiator vents), I have no idea what the other Allen key is for (yet)...

The car also comes with the box for the radio, and it includes the special "tools" for removing the radio from the dash, and a case to hold the face plate.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
TimMullen said:
I one Allen key is used to remove the front covers (behind the radiator vents), I have no idea what the other Allen key is for (yet)...
The big allen key is used to remove the 2 large bolts that hold the engine undertray (as well as the two main bolts that hold the diffuser) when you have removed the small M5 (8mm head) bolts along the edges.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Are the bolts standard, or do you have to visit your local parts counter?
Definitely not "standard" bolts. They are Torx head lug bolts for holding on wheels. You are probably going to have to get them at the dealer...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
YOu have to be careful when washing the car on an incline as the water rushes to the back of the rear deck lip and overwhelms the gaskets. Haven't had a problem even in heav rain however.
Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
yeah we got rained on coming home, I dont think any water got in. When I washed it I put a garbage bag over the vents to keep water from draining through onto the motor and leaving water spots. I had to do that with my monster miata which had hood louvres...it left unsightly water spots whenever I washed it otherwise. I put the bag over the vents and used very little water back there to minimize the spill through which is why it suprised me when I discovered the water in the trunk.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
TIGHTEN DOWN YOUR CARPET RETAINERS! Those round grey coin sized things on the floor with the slot across their face. I vaccumed my carpets today and before I knew what had happened one retainer had suddenly vanished into the quarter operated vaccuum at the local gas station. What the...

Oops!

Luckily the lower compartment of the machine was accessible so I could retrieve the widget. At first the gas station guy was telling me that it was not his machine, he didn't know how to open it and that the vacuum's owner stopped by every 2-3 months to check on it and take out all the quarters He told me he'd be happy to give him a note about it. Uh, no thanks...I want my part right NOW. That's when we figured out how to open the thing. Got it back on and found one other that was not snugged down.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Another thing I learned from the tech at the 1000 mile checkup is that rocks can get up into the vent holes in the bottom of the aluminum sheeting under the car. These rocks do not damage anything, but can make a racket sliding around and banging on the sides when turning. The only way to get them out is to take off the rear portion of the plating...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
TimMullen said:

The car also comes with the box for the radio, and it includes the special "tools" for removing the radio from the dash, and a case to hold the face plate.
The larger allen wrench loosens the bracket hold-down on the battery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts