The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I was preparing my car for an HPDE on Monday. One of my tasks was to install the sect 111 Delta brace on my track-pack equipped 06 Exige. Not that complicated, right? Well, so I thought...

In removing the factory brace and bolts, 3 out of the 4 rubber bushings from the tie rod ends popped out. Hm, well, no problem, I'll just slide those right back in. 8 hours later, no luck. Those suckers aren't going back in. I attribute it mostly due to the fact that the bushings are slightly warped/stretched due to age.

My neighborhood auto parts store didn't have anything like these bushings. Most places will be closed tomorrow on Sunday. I thought about just putting copious amounts of grease in there and hoping that would be a viable short-term substitute for the rubber (neoprene?) bushings. For average driving, this might be OK. For taking it to the track, I'm less confident.

Thoughts?

In the picture, the bushing is the brown part. I borrowed this pic from someone else here. I didn't dissect the end, and my bushings don't look that good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean use the bushings as they are?

My point was that the bushings won't stay in place and keep popping out. What is their function, and is it OK to drive without them in place period?

·
Registered
392 Posts
They're not bushings, they're dust covers designed to keep dirt and grit out of the joint. The negative of not using them is an increased rate of wear.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That was my photo. The seals won't stay in. They can't stretch enough to deal with the angle imposed on them. The entire design is poor. Those slots in the gray inserts spread apart when there's later force on them. Hence you get a toe change.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I borrowed that photo from you Mike. Thanks...

So I will replace the heims with the Sector 111 ones very soon. I think I'll be fine in the short-term though.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
they hold the race in place it's a shi--y design and there junk. you will have play without them in place the car will go from toe in to toe out under braking. the car will be a hand full on the track .trust me i've driven on the track with play in the factory joints and it's very exciting. the 111 heims are the way to go ..carl

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I took the car up to 142 mph once. I was surprised how unstable it was.
I made some rods out of 7075 on a lathe, put very large Aurora teflon lined ends them, and made some 303 stainless adapters keyed for the slots in the frame. Been on there for a long time and many track days. Problem solved.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

I drove to & from the track with no issues. And I put probably 50 track miles on the car running at about 60-70% with no trouble. There is a small amount of "slop" in the rear toe, but it wasn't very noticeable. The car feel not quite as tight as normal, but still fine.

....And I'll be calling S111 to get the heim units asap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts