The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a pair of the Tillett B5 seats from Smitty. They arrived via FedEx Friday afternoon and I installed them over the weekend. The seats are well constructed and have much more pronounced side bolsters than what I expected from seeing other photos. They should make a big difference for track and autocross events!

The installation really wasn't difficult, but took several trial fittings using different combinations of the spacing washers to get the offset and brackets lined up to match the car. I figured different seats would be tricky to fit, but now I have a greater appreciation for how tight the cockpit space is for seat hardware/mounting!

I can't say enough about Smitty's customer service and follow up advice. He sent photos and installation tips, and called two or three times during the ordering process to clarify questions and suggestions. I tried to take a couple photos that will show the side bolsters.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Very nice seats!
Do they use the factory rails?

Chris

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tillett makes optional seat mounts that are engineered for the Elise/Exige. The passenger seat mount is fixed, just like the stock one. For the driver's side, I bought the mount that fits into the stock slider base. So, I guess to answer your question, yes and no. I can't imagine having to fabricate seat brackets from scratch to fit the Elise, so it is handy to find a manufacturer that offers the correct size seat plus mounting options.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much? Did you have to wait long for the seats? How large is your waist?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those are badass. how comfortable are they really?
Ask me in another week or two. First impressions are that they are at least as comfortable as the Probax seats, but with greater support.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much? Did you have to wait long for the seats? How large is your waist?
Contact Smitty (forum member) for pricing, as I don't know if the fluctuations with the exchange rate might affect pricing. I ordered these in mid-February and I believe he said this was the last pair in stock but he is ordering more. I have a 34" waist and the seats fit great, but I don't know how big a person they would accommodate.

See this post for more info: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/new-lotus-specific-carbon-fiber-seats-65200/

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tillett Racing Seats - Home

Prices are on the website above, but you'd be ordering from the UK. With that said - the exchange rate is VERY good right now. ($1.41 to the pound)

Without shipping (which would be a lot), looks like they're around $640 each. Not bad for what you're getting - I've always liked Tillett stuff.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Did you get the "B5 Back GRP Race Car Seat with Dinamica Suede Trim"?

Any idea what "GRP" stands for?
I'm guessing that GRP is Gel coated Fiberglass...

I believe his are the 3/4 covered Carbon Fiber that go for £544.00 or $766 ea at the current rate, not including shipping and import taxes.

That being said I would love to have a set of these. :eek:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Did you get the "B5 Back GRP Race Car Seat with Dinamica Suede Trim"?

Any idea what "GRP" stands for?
Glass Reinforced Plastic

Scott's and the ones Smitty sells are the Carbon/GRP (with Dinamica Suede Trim) not the all GRP version that jturrell priced.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They look great. When are you heading out to H2R next? I'm very interested.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
2nd, would like to see how they fit with my wide ass if possible. :) Look a bit tougher to get in and out as well, but could be wrong. Then again I'm not as limber as I used to be so that might be the problem, not the seats. lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Scott. Your comments about the support of the seats echo the comments I've heard from everyone else that has one insofar as photos don't do a great job of showing just how much support they offer.

I'm sure you'll come to love them as much as I do. Being held firmly in place really changes the driving dynamics of the car.

...not including shipping and import taxes.
Ugh. US Customs seems to have it out for carbon fiber imports. They inspect every single shipment of mine that contains a scrap of it. When I receive an order, it's typically a couple of pallets with large boxes stacked on each. They charge me to transport the pallets to the Customs facility, they charge me for storage until they get around to inspecting them, they charge me to inspect them and they even charge me for the fuel they use to transport them to and from their facility. On top of that, all they do is cut two of the four bands holding the lid on the top box, pry open a corner of box's lid and close it.

A friend of mine who imports raw fiber goes through the same hassle. I'm convinced Customs inspections are a racket.

Customs rant aside, those asking questions about fit should know that the shape of the seat is a little different than the factory seat and allows for those with wider waists to fit comfortably. Where the factory seat transitions from seat bottom to seat back, there is a small bolster that pinches those with wider hips and waists. The Tillett seats are cut down and angled outward, proving more room and thus are a better fit for those with wider waists.

Scott also received a pair of brackets for mounting his anti-submarine belts. I wasn't happy with the current offerings on the market and I know a lot of folks aren't too keen on drilling holes in their floor, so I've had brackets manufactured that fit under the seat brackets:

As Scott and a few others can attest, they are a stout part and help make installing anti-submarine belts a no-brainer. Scott brought it to my attention that I need to supply slightly longer bolts for the driver's seat bracket and I'll be doing so for future orders.

I'm not yet a Lotus Talk vendor, so I cannot go into pricing, but if anyone has any questions about Tillett seats, feel free to contact me via email or Private Message.

Scott, thanks again for your business and I'm confident that you'll be happy with the gear.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2nd, would like to see how they fit with my wide ass if possible. :) Look a bit tougher to get in and out as well, but could be wrong. Then again I'm not as limber as I used to be so that might be the problem, not the seats. lol
I will probably go to the Houston Tour (solo event) the first weekend in April. Not sure if you're near the Gulf Greyhound Park, but swing by if you can.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope to get out to H2R either this Saturday or the following weekend. I'll let you know. I also need to get a couple things done to the car at Lotus of San Antonio, so I'll be down there one day this month.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, I also got the tillett b5 seats from Smitty, I plan on posting a full review soon but here is a preview:

Those seats look familiar! Now that I've had mine for a few weeks and a chance to test at the track, I'm very pleased with the difference over the stock Elise seats. The Tillett design really does hold you in place.

One note for others installing the Tilletts--the seats are very sensitive to small adjustments in the height adjusting holes in the brackets. My driver's seat was originally leaning back too much for my taste. I pulled the seat out last weekend, moved the back adjustment up one notch and it solved the seating position. I also discovered that you can't lower the front settings or you'll end up binding the seat slider release mechanism. The seats also come with an assortment of spacing washers to help set the side-to-side position relative to the seat rails (and the center console). I think Smitty has suggestions on positioning these spacers, but I'd be glad to offer advice to future installers as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Those seats look familiar! Now that I've had mine for a few weeks and a chance to test at the track, I'm very pleased with the difference over the stock Elise seats. The Tillett design really does hold you in place.

One note for others installing the Tilletts--the seats are very sensitive to small adjustments in the height adjusting holes in the brackets. My driver's seat was originally leaning back too much for my taste. I pulled the seat out last weekend, moved the back adjustment up one notch and it solved the seating position. I also discovered that you can't lower the front settings or you'll end up binding the seat slider release mechanism. The seats also come with an assortment of spacing washers to help set the side-to-side position relative to the seat rails (and the center console). I think Smitty has suggestions on positioning these spacers, but I'd be glad to offer advice to future installers as well.
How comfortable are they for daily driving?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got my Tillets on Sunday and wow, they freakin rock. You sit ON the factory seat, you sit IN the Tillet. Will post pics soon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts