The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally gotten my Elise back on the road after meeting a tire wall at Sears Point 3 years ago. I took that opportunity to install a BOE hinge kit but have some concern about the amount of heat that is now being absorbed by the rear clam fiberglass without the aluminum "waffle" shield in place. I have fitted a panel eliminator, actually a Sector 111 version, which provides an opening to facilitate the escape of exhaust heat. But the hinges prevent me from fitting the original shield and wonder if any of you have modified it to provide an extra heat barrier, and if so, some details of that mod?

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
I have the infamous BOE claim hinge and had removed all the heat shielding besides the bit that is adhered to the clam itself. TBH, there has been nothing of note regarding deformation of the fiberglass and it appears to be cooler than stock. Having said that, I also have a BOE exhaust with their license plate bracket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moor,
Thx for that input. The reason I am concerned is that I have observed the fg getting VERY warm around the license plate lights, of course I never noticed that area before. Guess I'm still looking for someone that's modded the stock heat shield. That or more opinions that it doesn't matter. I'm going on a GGLC run up to Dave Bean Engineering this Saturday so I will arm myself with an infrared temp gun and get some real world comparisons between my car and other Elises of various configurations.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Moor,
Thx for that input. The reason I am concerned is that I have observed the fg getting VERY warm around the license plate lights, of course I never noticed that area before. Guess I'm still looking for someone that's modded the stock heat shield. That or more opinions that it doesn't matter. I'm going on a GGLC run up to Dave Bean Engineering this Saturday so I will arm myself with an infrared temp gun and get some real world comparisons between my car and other Elises of various configurations.
Hi,
I had the same concern after installing the hinge and removing the heat shield. I am using the BOE rear delete, and have the Stage II exhaust. The body panels do get quite hot, especially the low rear left quarter. Most of the time I drive it <30 minutes in stop and go traffic. I drove it to the LOG33 this past August (5 hr. drive). I checked the temperature by touch (body panel) every hour or so. It was quite cool for the entire trip. My conclusion is that the air flow at highway speed is enough to draw the heat away from the body. The stop and go traffic I'm frequently in lets the head soak in. I've had the hinge on for a year now and my concerns have diminished. However, I kept the shield should I change my mind about a modification.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's precisely my concern, when in stop and go that would magnify the heat soak condition. Saturday's drive should be a good evaluation setting just not much s&g.

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
I look forward to your results Jab...I am most interested in the temps around the u bend before the exhaust. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You could wrap the exhaust which should help with those temps.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
There are many hundreds of those kits out there. 95% of them have the heat shield removed. Not one issue resulting from this even on track cars where heat is many times greater than on the street...

That said, if really worried about it, no problem :D

Simply cut the corners out of the heat shield where the hinges rest. Also, you'll need to cut the rear of the heat shield off to allw the heat to exit the rear delete and for cosmetic reasons of course. It's not hard. I've seen it done, but its certainly not common.

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts