The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback on installing a tilting rear clam kit? I am thinking of this as my next mod. Ideas of a kit? Feedback either positive or negative? I just heard someone say that it is less than ideal and I would be disappointed. Can anyone who did the clam tilt verify? And who makes the superior kit? Thanks for the info.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Some don't like it because at the track they want to stand behind the car to work on the engine but the clam is their.

I'd say u would b ok for just street use no prob.

I got the clam removal kit from radium but still have not put it on.

In other words in not much help ;)

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I did the BOE Clam Hinge install back in May of this year. The instructions made it manageable for me as a novice mechanic. I wanted easy access to the engine where ever I was without having to pull the clam off and setting it somewhere. I don't track it so I don't face the problems FistHammer noted. While I know a single person can open the clam, I've enlisted my wife to help so I'm less likely to damage something when opening/closing. I'm glad I did the conversion. Sooooo much easier to work on the engine and accessories. PM me if you want to chat about it more.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
No rattles at all... on the plus side, I was able to install some sound-proofing (already have touring package) that actually lets me hear the stereo with my Stage II muffler. I use all eight hand fasteners that came with the kit, and Velcro as instructed as some touch points.
Opening it with one person takes some effort. Closing is OK. With two people very easy. Just need to make sure to follow the hinge motion (lift from the rear of the clam as tilting).

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
The kit is strait forward and very easy, no added rattles as long as you follow the directions. The hardest part for me was going "further" and extending the washer bottle hose, central brake light, and trunk release lever. Overall it's a no brainier, buy it and be happier later when it's time for service. My clutch job would have been a disaster without the hinge!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Unless you are doing a lot of work back there my opinion is skip it. I can take my rear clam off in about an hour if I need to, it's really not that hard. I'd much rather spend $1k on something else. If it were $200 no brainer.

But realize it's not that easy to use as you have to remove the top (many never do that) to open the rear. And while it can be done by one person my friend who has it always needs help opening/closing it. Don't think of it as the rear of a GT40 where you're going to pop it open at Cars and Coffee. Think of it more as if you do a lot of work back there and want easy access then it's fantastic. Not sure what FistHammer is talking about, I can't imagine anyone not preferring this (at least to clam on - sure there is more access with the whole clam off but that's not what we're discussing).

At the end of the day I skipped it, many things I'd spend $1k on before that...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I just took my clam off. It's really not that bad. I had to remove the seats to get at some of the bolts behind the inside bulkhead cover. I'm going to drill holes in it, so I don't have to do that part again. With that, future clam removals should only take 30 minutes, maybe less. And like the poster said above. I'd rather have the clam completely out of the way and not blocking rear access.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A month ago, I saw Phil pull into a local 'Fast Fridays' car get-together with a CO street car. He opened the doors, removed a couple bolts, opened the trunk, removed some bolts and had the clam tilted back in a very short time. Might have been 2 minutes maybe 4 - didn't time it but it was quick.
This mod is on my list.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wish I did my tilt clam as first mod... If you work on your car or track the car I believe a must mod. After all track events I tilt and inspect clean car and also if issue at track makes it easy to get at everything easy. I have no issue and open tilt up at least 100 times last two years. Does take me about 5-10 min to tilt when I have hard top on, less time if top already off or canvas top on.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A month ago, I saw Phil pull into a local 'Fast Fridays' car get-together with a CO street car. He opened the doors, removed a couple bolts, opened the trunk, removed some bolts and had the clam tilted back in a very short time. Might have been 2 minutes maybe 4 - didn't time it but it was quick.
This mod is on my list.
Yes !
Best mod ever. It's one of those " I wish I had done this sooner "
It's impossible to describe effectively how convient tilting the clam can be.
(sorry about the grammer)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not really thinking about this to work on the car. Just thinking about show purpose and the wow factor.
When I tilt my clam up at the track I get many WOWs and crowd around my car:)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Phil did mine during the sc install. I was told to start with the 2 people tilt technique - safe and easy to ensure the hinge is going thru the range of motion nessescary for proper operation, but soon after learned/ adopted the 1 person technique shown on Phil's utube video. Mostly because i do not have people around to help all the time. To me - the one person method is easier than the two person method, but if you are still recovering from your injuries, i'd say start easy, with the two person method. I love mine, it was installed perfectly by the guy who designed them, so it fits perfectly and operates flawlessly. I am NOT dissapointed. Allows you access to everything in the bay, and in a pinch - you can completely remove the clam too by disconnecting the hinge!!!! (if you really needed to) As far as noises, I found some unrelated noises occuring related to my charcoal canister delete, that the tilting clam allowed me to fix because of the increased access. I am only using 6 attachment points ( 4 thumbwheels in the trunk, and the two in the roll bar cover/roof mount brackets. I takes me 4 minutes to tilt if I take a break for lunch and walk the dog. I never have to add in the extra step of removing the top because i never use mine. You do have to open the doors to tilt.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
As Walter told me at Intermeccanica, considering time it takes to pull off and put clam back on, when I had my thermostat replaced last week, he said it would have been done in half the time. It makes everything easier from service to, belts and hoses to SC installet. You pay for it the first time and you save on every job thereafter. Should have been standard on every car or at least an option! Mine is getting done this fall!! His job is custom and better than BOE's!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
his hinge is better than BOE's? Or his install is better than BOE's? I find either hard to believe, but it's nice someone on the east coast is doing great installs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I pulled my clam for the first time to install the Radium kit. As is warned ahead of time, the interior is well over 50% of the job. With the kit installed, instead of the 3 hours it took for me to remove (a good hour and a half for the seats alone), it's 20 minutes with the washer bottle, battery and inner liners in stock configuration. At some point, I may move all those to make it quicker, but I don't see myself constantly removing the thing. I replaced the thermostat while doing this. The $200 Radium kit is also a lot easier to swallow for me than would be $1000 for a tilting clam.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I set my Aussie clam hinge up to work with the stock exhaust. I told my mechanic that he should tilt the clam to do some work and he kind of said that he really didn't need to, etc. etc. The next time I brought it in, I tilted when I dropped it off. He was pretty amazed and even called someone over to see it. It saved me a lot of money just on that one trip alone.
I don't know about the other kits, but for this one I am planning on making a brace to tie the bonnet hinges together. Just a small piece of aluminum so that when I put the little rod on to keep the hood up it doesn't twist the one side.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts