In prelim stages . Making mold.
What do you guys think ?
(Flame suit on)

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,572 Posts
A couple of questions.

What are the front and rear wheel and tire specifics?

Are you going to extend the front fenders to envelop the wheels and tires (and mate up with the very wide front of the side sills)?

What are the front/rear fender extensions, side sills and rear diffuser/extension going to be made of? It better be tough stuff, or you'll be seeing it in the rearview.

Do you think you can get enough heat into the tires (front and rear) to take advantage of the width?

No flame suit needed. I'm curious, and in no way mean to seem disrespectful. Best of luck and keep us apprised.

San

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great questions.
Yes, the front fenders will be extended to match the sills. The front spoiler 3.0 is going to be re-made now to again match the width also.
This will all be carbon fiber.
I run the car at air temp of 30-36 degrees centigrade. Power level 400whp +, I might even try high torque again in my next engine rebuild.
Magnesium alloy wheels. 10.5 rear 20lb in weight, Hoosier 275 width. 9 front Hoosier 225 - Hoosier are wider than my Toyo 888 for same width.
I'm quite sure I can get enough heat into the tires for them to do the job.
I'll need to drop the car lower too....

·
Super Moderator
6,572 Posts
Great questions.
Yes, the front fenders will be extended to match the sills. The front spoiler 3.0 is going to be re-made now to again match the width also.
This will all be carbon fiber.
I run the car at air temp of 30-36 degrees centigrade. Power level 400whp +, I might even try high torque again in my next engine rebuild.
Magnesium alloy wheels. 10.5 rear 20lb in weight, Hoosier 275 width. 9 front Hoosier 225 - Hoosier are wider than my Toyo 888 for same width.
I'm quite sure I can get enough heat into the tires for them to do the job.
I'll need to drop the car lower too....
I think it looks very promising. I was really hoping you were going to say carbon. I'd guess you might have one more mock-up?

Go big or go home! Who makes the magnesium wheels if you don't mind me asking? If you do mind, PM me. Private messages are private.

San

·
Registered
892 Posts
Make sure you have enough clearance from the top of the tire to the inside top of the fender/flare extension to accommodate full compression. It looks tight.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Do you have access to a wind tunnel?

Check out some videos on Youtube with exiges and elises in wind tunnels. Side sills don't appear to do anything besides get in the way of your feet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are ReDRuM Race wheels. Zen 1.0 design. For my next set I might adjust the offset since I wanted to go a little wider and so here I'm using a 12 mm spacer. Here's a picture with the center caps

Yes, go big or go home philosophy.

No access to wind tunnel. If nothing else the sills look cool I think.

Gonna make some funky looking louvres over the front wheels...

·
Registered
549 Posts
In prelim stages . Making mold.
What do you guys think ?
(Flame suit on)

That's some serious 935ish fender extension.

I know I'm being a backseat designer, but if you can bring the height of the extension aft of the wheel well to the same height and contour as the OEM rear deck - IMHO will give a more cohesive and less add-on look.

Nice work.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes , could match the deck , but that might create unnecessary drag. Aiming for a tad more function than form really. I reckon this will look the biz once it's in carbon fiber.
We've looked at multiple race oriented cars and we're mimicking the same lines.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Cool project, I image you enjoy doing this kind of work.

Question for you. Did you consider buying a more turnkey GT3 wide body kit, saving yourself the effort, and using a tested aero body style?

BTW: The last wind tunnel analysis I read on the Exige proved the rear diffusor outter most fins need to be at most 40mm off the ground for maximum effectiveness. Your's look too height, assuming that's your final ride height.

·
Super Moderator
6,572 Posts
I have the straight version and not the version that contours with the body, maybe that is the difference. My tablet takes bad photos (and sideways it seems) but this is several track days without a wash.
I have the Reverie ones. They're a veneer of carbon top and bottom and then a honeycomb middle. Stupid light.

San

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool project, I image you enjoy doing this kind of work.

Question for you. Did you consider buying a more turnkey GT3 wide body kit, saving yourself the effort, and using a tested aero body style?

BTW: The last wind tunnel analysis I read on the Exige proved the rear diffusor outter most fins need to be at most 40mm off the ground for maximum effectiveness. Your's look too height, assuming that's your final ride height.
Yup. That would be too easy and boring. Without experimentation, there's no innovation. Personal preference on the lines.

We can also make copies and repair a quarter panel if need be .

The diffuser fins are within 40mm from the ground and will be lower still . Ride height is yet to be properly dropped.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm curious what you have in store for the front splitter. Are you integrating diffusers that channel air into the now-vented wheel wells? Are you going to vent the top of the fender arches?

Making the diffuser outer fins extend forward more is also of benefit... getting the leading edge in front of or even with the forward surface of the tire likely helps prevent turbulent air coming off the tire from corrupting airflow in the outermost channels of the diffuser.

I did some crude wool tuft testing using a stock Difflow diffuser and some cardboard modifications:
Diffuser Tuft Testing

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that info. These will be similar but using foam core. Little thicker carbon fiber sandwiching the foam core. These will need to be sturdy since their going to be quite wide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts