The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious when you guys think the Elise/Exige is going to switch over to a different engine. It seems Toyota and others have stopped using the 2zz, and the VVT-Li technology and moved on to something newer.

Does Lotus have some kind of agreement with Toyota to use the 2zz for x number of years or could we see the 09's with a different engine?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I imagine the cost of certifying a new engine would be so high that Lotus would do everything in their power to avoid it with this generation of the Elise.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Most likely Toyota already knew they were going to replace the 2ZZ when the deal was made with Lotus.

They get to use the 'new' engines in their own products and keep selling the 'old' engine to Lotus.

Very good deal for Toyota.. making more money from the obsoleted engine design.

And unless any new engine fulfills some major new (emission) requirement they have to meet in the near future or is cheaper then Lotus probably won't see any need to change anything.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I guess the logical question is, "What's wrong with this engine?" It's not the perfect engine, but it does everything very well. It's reliable, makes decent power in NA form and even sufficient power in FI form.

There's no reason for Lotus to switch right now other than for the mere sake of upgrading, which isn't really a strong enough reason IMO.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
the problem with the 2ZZ is it was designed for a $15,000 car. the high cam duty cycle was designed to be less than 5%. in the lotus it gets much more high rpm-cam use. not to mention with a 11.5-1 CR + 6psi boost = 17.5 CR diesels run 16-1. any other manufacture would go inside the engine when adding FI, not just slap a blower on it. carl

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely Toyota already knew they were going to replace the 2ZZ when the deal was made with Lotus.

They get to use the 'new' engines in their own products and keep selling the 'old' engine to Lotus.

Very good deal for Toyota.. making more money from the obsoleted engine design.
Toyota can't really use an engine like that anyway... they need something with a broader torque range for their A to B cars...

What happened to Toyota? They have nothing exciting at all in their lineup in 2008. No Supra, no Celica, no MR2. Just Corollas and Camrys...

Anyway... my June 08 issue of Automobile Magazine speculates that Lotus will use the Camry's 268 HP V-6 in the Eagle. Because "All US-Market Lotus cars use Toyota power".

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyway... my June 08 issue of Automobile Magazine speculates that Lotus will use the Camry's 268 HP V-6 in the Eagle. Because "All US-Market Lotus cars use Toyota power".
Wait a minute.... did I hallucinate this or didn't lotus announce (a while back) they were going to use the VVT-i V6 engine (currently in the Lexus IS 350) for project eagle?

I know I read this some where & have been trying to locate it online (with no success).

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
the problem with the 2ZZ is it was designed for a $15,000 car. the high cam duty cycle was designed to be less than 5%. in the lotus it gets much more high rpm-cam use.
I think this is being borne out by the breaking rocker arms and the scored cams.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Wait a minute.... did I hallucinate this or didn't lotus announce (a while back) they were going to use the VVT-i V6 engine (currently in the Lexus IS 350) for project eagle?

I know I read this some where & have been trying to locate it online (with no success).
With it being a mid-engined car that will likely have a transverse-mounted engine, chances are it will be coming from a front-driver, not unlike the Elise.

Here's a relatively recent article I found: Lotus "Project Eagle" prototype [Spied again]

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
the problem with the 2ZZ is it was designed for a $15,000 car. the high cam duty cycle was designed to be less than 5%. in the lotus it gets much more high rpm-cam use. not to mention with a 11.5-1 CR + 6psi boost = 17.5 CR diesels run 16-1. any other manufacture would go inside the engine when adding FI, not just slap a blower on it. carl
Actually Toyota was the first one to supercharge the 2ZZ. It was in the 218 hp Carolla Compressor sold in Europe. It was non-intercooled.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I guess the logical question is, "What's wrong with this engine?" It's not the perfect engine, but it does everything very well. It's reliable, makes decent power in NA form and even sufficient power in FI form.

There's no reason for Lotus to switch right now other than for the mere sake of upgrading, which isn't really a strong enough reason IMO.
:up:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
August 14, 2010 afternoon....( about 3 pm GMT )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts