The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's not leaking, but when I did the radiator flush this weekend, I took off the header tank to really clean it inside and out and found that it had a crack developing around the neck.

This crack was completely invisible while it was dirty.

I am glad I found out the easy way instead of the hard way on the side of the road with an overheated engine!

New one is on the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are you going to do with the old tank?

I ask b/c I have the 94 S4, with the two metal tanks (one separate for the chargecooler system). I always wanted to convert to a single plastic tank. I would like your old one if you don't need it, to see if it would convert on a 4 cyl car. Let me know, thanks, mark j.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I ask b/c I have the 94 S4, with the two metal tanks (one separate for the chargecooler system). I always wanted to convert to a single plastic tank. I would like your old one if you don't need it, to see if it would convert on a 4 cyl car. Let me know, thanks, mark j.
You can have my old one. I won't have the new one for 2 weeks, and it will be maybe a week after getting the new one before I can ship the old one.

·
Registered
576 Posts

I would like your old metal tanks if you don't want them and get the plastic one working. Happy to pay for time and shipping.

Randy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok, Randy, let me troubleshoot the plastic tank first, not sure what connectors I might have to find/buy from JAE, and I assume the 8 cyl. plastic tank was close enough in design to the 95 model 4 cyl. plastic tank. But if I can get the plastic tank working, I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's not just close enough, it's the exact same tank used in the late 4 cyl through the end of the V8's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's good news. i will be checking w/JAE for any connections I may need. Does anyone know if this switch is possible? any ECU issues? THANKS

·
Registered
576 Posts
The only issue will be getting the fluid level sender hookup right as they are different, but I would guess it wouldn't be too hard to make it work. The dual tank has two senders. The plumbing is pretty straight forward.

Randy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Randy, i did not know the dual tank had two senders. In other words, is there a sender for the chargecooler tank? If so, did not know, I never studied my tanks. I guess I will be calling Jeff @ JAE to see what i might need. But tell me anything else you can think of regarding hook-up, I will appreciate it! mark

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mark, I never went from two to one tank. I did convert my '95 S4 to two tanks by adding a separate chargecooler tank and an electric pump. Going that direction is easy as the sender is not changed. I did that to allow different and separated fluids in the two systems.

For the plastic tank you will need a different sender that I imagine may not come with the tank, but may be available. You will then need to splice to it. You can probably combine the two wires to the two tanks, but I don't know if the resistance is the same for the warning light.
Otherwise you will need a Tee or two and possibly some hose and the plastic tank mounts on the boot wall, not on the side wall.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Took almost a month, but I have the header tank in the car. It was an easy swap out.

Do you still want a used one for testing, or should I pitch it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts