The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be putting the battery on a trickle charge for the winter soon. However, there is one issue. I'd rather not take the battery out. What is the best way to run the trickle charge into the trunk without having the light in the trunk? It seems anywhere I place the wire the light stays on.

Suggestions?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
How about you just remove the light bulb?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just press the trunk latch mechanism closed (while the trunk is open). This will trick it into thinking the trunk is closed and the light will shut off. No need to remove battery or do anything with the bulb.

To reopen, just press the right side of the latch and the latch will release.

It will make sense when you look at the latch.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I will be putting the battery on a trickle charge for the winter soon. However, there is one issue. I'd rather not take the battery out. What is the best way to run the trickle charge into the trunk without having the light in the trunk? It seems anywhere I place the wire the light stays on.

Suggestions?
I route my tender wire out right above the left reverse light. The trunk gasket is plenty thick enough to enable the wire to pass through when I close the hatch completely. The wire does not pinch (at least on mine) and since the hatch is latched like normal, the lights are off.

·
Registered
885 Posts
hibernation

Just press the trunk latch mechanism closed (while the trunk is open). This will trick it into thinking the trunk is closed and the light will shut off. No need to remove battery or do anything with the bulb.

I use the key (or a screw driver) to close the trunk latch and turn out the trunk light. Very easy.

Currently on battery maintainer, but still holding out hope there will be some dry no salt roads in the next week or so. If not it will sadly go under cover for the duration.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Good solutions as above. But, hopefully, you are using a battery tender rather than a "dumb" trickle charger, which could damage the battery over time.
Another trick I use is to plug the battery tender into a 24-hour lamp timer that is set to turn on the tender for 3-4 hours a day. That's all the charging you should need in a day, and you will have less to worry about regarding 24/7 current consumption in the garage.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good solutions as above. But, hopefully, you are using a battery tender rather than a "dumb" trickle charger, which could damage the battery over time.
Another trick I use is to plug the battery tender into a 24-hour lamp timer that is set to turn on the tender for 3-4 hours a day. That's all the charging you should need in a day, and you will have less to worry about regarding 24/7 current consumption in the garage.
Yes, I am using a battery tender. Just plugging the battery tender into the lamp timer would work? It would not over load the circuit or anything? Just concerned placing the Evora on a $1.00 lamp timer that I use to automatically put lamps on in the house when I am not home.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Going to try this. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,976 Posts
Just close trunk fully. No prob with wire. Been doing it for 3 years now!

·
Registered
7,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i disconnected my battery for the hibernation. did the latch thing as well so i could drop it down and it looks closed

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I run the wire out the driver's side rear corner and am having no issues.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just close trunk fully. No prob with wire. Been doing it for 3 years now!
I do the same. No issues. Just close it carefully.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes, I am using a battery tender. Just plugging the battery tender into the lamp timer would work? It would not over load the circuit or anything? Just concerned placing the Evora on a $1.00 lamp timer that I use to automatically put lamps on in the house when I am not home.
No problem. Any off-the-shelf UL-approved lamp timer (usually ~$5-$10) will handle 15A, and a typical battery tender only draws 1-2A.

·
Less is Better
2,782 Posts
That's absolutely not necessary. The battery tender keeps the battery at optimal charge level and cuts off charging when not needed. A timer would only prove to cycle the battery more often than necessary.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I run the wire out the driver's side rear corner and am having no issues.
+1, the longest I have had the car on the charger is 2 1/2 months. No problem stating it up after that amount of time.
Ron:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts