The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's been fun, but, alas, I can't afford to keep my Storm Titanium anymore. The payments on two cars are killing me (and parking AND insurance, etc).

The car has 2,300 miles and (obviously) the break-in tune-up has been performed. It's been garage kept and most of the miles are from the long drives on weekend get-togethers with other Lotus enthusiasts over the Summer. It is Storm Titanium with the Red touring package. I also have the Star Shield option (but no sport or hard top). It’s an amazing car and I’m really going to miss all the fun and attention it attracts EVERYWHERE I go. I am asking $52,900/obo on this board and if I don’t sell it by the end of the weekend, it'll be in AutoWeek, Washington Post, etc (probably at a higher price).

Feel free to PM or call me with questions, showings, etc: 202-339-8112. I’m in the Georgetown section of Washington, DC. I am a Realtor, so I can show the car pretty much at any time.

Check out some previous threads with pics of my car:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4952

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6204

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4905

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5280

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5278

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sean! Man.. that really bites.

This worries me.. the #1 guy on the list and already selling. :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wonder if he just hates the car - seems fishy - or he planned on filpping it from the beginning, but then why run up any mileage on it? Seems like bad planning IMHO

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Earth to Sean. Wake up, guy. You are selling a used car.

People could buy a brand new Elise with your specs for around $49,000 out the door. And if people look around, there seem to be cars available for MSRP or a modest premium.

You may not think that it's a big deal to put 2300 miles onto a car, but it is to many people. The car is no longer new.

Sorry that you plan to sell the car. It would appear that you are getting rid of the wrong car, but that's up to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
m100 Sean said:
I am asking $52,900/obo on this board and if I don’t sell it by the end of the weekend, it'll be in AutoWeek, Washington Post, etc (probably at a higher price).

Wow, we should feel so lucky. He is offering the car to us enthusiast at a lower price than the general public. Only if I hadn't spent 50K on a better spec'd car, I would be all over this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Just testing the waters. Last I heard, there's a 2 year waiting list.

I love the car, just can't afford it. I ordered it over 2 years ago, hoping I would be able to keep it.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Good luck selling the Elise, Sean. However, I'm afraid you may not be able to make much of a profit. Probably just MSRP and the taxes you paid for it. Maybe a $1,000 profit for your troubles.

The problem is, yes there's a two year wait, but those how really want a car and are willing to pay $5K to $10K over MSRP have either 1) gotten their cars by now; or 2) have bought new cars from dealers who had customers drop off or switched order (ie: Scottsdale has a similarly equipped Magnetic Blue advertised).

Also, posting it here won't generate a popular response since most people are a "aware" of the price and wait situation. I think people here may be more interested if they knew you weren't making $5K profit.

Then again, you may just get that one person who really needs to have one this weekend. But my suggestion, try a price under $50K. There a perceived difference between a $49K car and a $53K car.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I think for $3-5k premium, it would be pretty easy to find a brand new Elise. I agree that you might be able to sell it at MSRP or a slight profit.

Perhaps you would have better luck on ebay?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I think for $3-5k premium, it would be pretty easy to find a brand new Elise. I agree that you might be able to sell it at MSRP or a slight profit.

Perhaps you would have better luck on ebay?
Ebay is not doing much better:

$45,290 (Reserve not met) no bids yet only 8 hours left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6312&item=4501986444&rd=1

This one has a buy now for $46,500, latest bid $40,500 only 23 hrs to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6312&item=4502138183&rd=1

Last one that went through ended at $46,640 (HT/Touring) only 20 miles and looks exactly like mine other than no StarShield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2498053878

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
sorry to hear you're selling your Elise, Sean. Can't you sell your other car? I'm sure you'll buy another, maybe you should put another deposit down so that in a year or so you could swing the extra payments.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Just my opinion but for some reason I don't mind giving a premium for a hot car to a dealer that has OVERHEAD.
BUT, it doesn't sit well for me when guys that roast dealers for being jerks that manipulate the market quietly sit and wait for their car to arrive at msrp and then say (even though I've had a year to prepare for this transition) "I now can't afford two cars"and am selling the car. And, by the way, even though those nasty dealers should never charge over sticker, I AM :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I paid 54K at Hunting Ridge Motors and had no waiting for all this:
Chrome orange/black, 300miles, Touring, Sport, Starshield, Stage II exhaust,painted center console, painted wheels, AND striping.

If you want to get a car now just call Mark Starr. You will get a car with no miles and probably more options than this one for the same price or probably less.

Sean,
I would list your car in Autoweek and hope for some uneducated guys to call. Don't worry there are plenty of them out there....
Good Luck...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Amen. Just bought a very similar car to what Sean is selling, but silver on red, touring and starshield with 12 miles on it for a small premium, no waiting. But like Perry says, there are lots of people who are unaware that they can buy one right now for significantly less than he's asking. This was just kind of the wrong group to offer it to at that price.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
perryeyges said:

If you want to get a car now just call Mark Starr. You will get a car with no miles and probably more options than this one for the same price or probably less.
I'm sorry but the fact that this is a true statement is unpleasant.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
perryeyges said:
it doesn't sit well for me when guys that roast dealers for being jerks that manipulate the market quietly sit and wait for their car to arrive at msrp and then say ... "I now can't afford two cars"and am selling the car... over sticker
I personally don't recall sean ever roasting any dealers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, didn't realize it'd be such a big deal...

Yeah, as someone pointed out, between the taxes and stuff, I'm not really making much. I got the price by looking at what's on cars.com and what I've got in the car. I was hoping I could use the money to buy a new exhaust and a boost gauge for my Audi so I could still hang with my Lotus friends.

Unfortunately, due to the business I'm in, I need a 4 door.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
perryeyges said:
Just my opinion but for some reason I don't mind giving a premium for a hot car to a dealer that has OVERHEAD.
BUT, it doesn't sit well for me when guys that roast dealers for being jerks that manipulate the market quietly sit and wait for their car to arrive at msrp and then say (even though I've had a year to prepare for this transition) "I now can't afford two cars"and am selling the car. And, by the way, even though those nasty dealers should never charge over sticker, I AM :rolleyes:
Plus he managed to zoom around for 2300 miles before deciding to sell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts