The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just over 9,000 miles and I'm still on my first set of pads. The service manual says the front pad min thickness is 2.5mm (appox. 3/32nds of an inch). It looks like I'm down to just about 1/8" (or about 3.2mm)... I feel that it's time for new pads... (inner pad has a bit more material, but similar)

Anyone want to second that for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the harder to see inner pads frequently wear faster too...

if i can make a reccomendation - suck it up and buy the stock pads :up:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the harder to see inner pads frequently wear faster too...

if i can make a reccomendation - suck it up and buy the stock pads :up:
My worst pad is the right rear outer pad :shrug:

BTW, why stock pads? I was considering Pagid Blue (RS4-2)...

EDIT: Corrected Pagid Blue part # as per jhnmdahl

·
Registered
852 Posts
My worst pad is the right rear outer pad :shrug:

BTW, why stock pads? I was considering Pagid Blue (RS14)...
Pagid RS14 are black, and are probably a little aggressive for street driving (they use them in NASCAR, for example). Maybe stick with the RS4-2...

John

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think you need to get new rotors too. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
rotors look good to me, but hard to tell.

the stock pads have the best combination of low temp and high temp performance, combined with great inital bite, and consistant performance, easy on the rotors... but not cheap

everything else seems to be a compromise one way or another - i have the porterfield street - and i fdon't really like them - "glassy" is not a term i think of as a positive in pads :huh:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you track the car - replace the pads

If not watch them and go with the blues when it's time

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
and from the looks of the rotors, if you DO replace them, i'd like to buy the old ones in your pictures.
i'd run them another 15,000 miles, probably.
if they are smooth and clean, they don' t need replacement.
my 2 cents, and bid.
sam

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and from the looks of the rotors, if you DO replace them, i'd like to buy the old ones in your pictures.
i'd run them another 15,000 miles, probably.
if they are smooth and clean, they don' t need replacement.
my 2 cents, and bid.
sam
I haven't taken a caliper to them (I'll do that when I swap the pads), but they look fine to me too... so I'm keeping 'em

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick question... how difficult is it to screw the rear brake piston back down without "special tool T000T1242"? The front pads seem fairly simple to change, but the service manual says to remove the rear rotors and "screw the piston back down the parking brake mechanism screwthread until fully bottomed". For those of you that have done it, how difficult is this to do without the official "special tool T000T1242"?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quick question... how difficult is it to screw the rear brake piston back down without "special tool T000T1242"? The front pads seem fairly simple to change, but the service manual says to remove the rear rotors and "screw the piston back down the parking brake mechanism screwthread until fully bottomed". For those of you that have done it, how difficult is this to do without the official "special tool T000T1242"?
It is easy, and has been mentioned in a few threads. Some people use needle nose pliers to fit into the two holes on the piston, others have said a brake retraction tool (a cube) from Harbor Freight works (I bought one, but haven't used it yet). I used the pliers last time, but you MUST be very careful to not let them slip and nick the rubber boot around the piston.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ive replaced my pads 3 times now. as to the rear, needle nose pliers work just fine. as to which pads are best... plenty of threads about that. i have used the stock pads, ebc pads, now im using hawk 9014 blue pads. next time ill be trying out the pagid. the ebc were ok, though not great. the hawk, so far have been very good.

from the pic, you have plenty of time left in those pads! no rush

·
Registered
912 Posts
Why do you say that?
I believe that the stock thickness is 26mm and Lotus recomends replacing at 24.9mm.

Im sure it is extremely east to shave off 1.1mm with the stock pads no matter how easy you drive.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe that the stock thickness is 26mm and Lotus recomends replacing at 24.9mm.

Im sure it is extremely east to shave off 1.1mm with the stock pads no matter how easy you drive.
All the rotors were between 25.5mm and 25.6mm... so I'm good for awhile... I think the service manual says 24.0mm is the minimum serviceable thickness...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Green stuff pads

Hi

Has any one tried the pads from Green Stuff?

Since you can't see the dust from the pads, you don't have to clean / wash the rims so often.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Rotors were $1200 service after the pads wore out befroe I could change them. (Missed by 8 days.)

Change the pads.

A whole lot less money.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi

Has any one tried the pads from Green Stuff?

I liked the Green Stuff Pads. I could only find the rear pads in the US though so I ran the Satisfied pads in front. Great for street and occasional track use. I now run the Yellow Stuff all arround and have no desire to change to another pad.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
All the rotors were between 25.5mm and 25.6mm... so I'm good for awhile... I think the service manual says 24.0mm is the minimum serviceable thickness...

24mm is correct for the minimum rotor thickness. Check the rotor and you can see it is stamped right on the hub. As long as your rotors aren't terribly scored or have runout, you should be fine with just some new pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts