The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a while since I did my timing belt and as I've said before it's not a job for someone who has never done this before.

Now I'm going deep and down into the motor. A by-pass coolant hose blew and spit
coolant all over my timing belt which in this case is automatic replacement.

I'm going for the dirty and replace the water pump since she's hitting almost 70k.

Should I buy those expensive cam pulleys think called 'Green Dot'?
my car has enough power for me.

Robert

·
Registered
576 Posts
Robert, I am not exactly sure what year your car is, but you likely have a green dot pulley on the oil pump that you can swap with the intake cam pulley. Doubt it is worthwhile to add a green dot to exhaust cam.
You want to rebuild the water pump rather than replace it to save some serious $$. Also would check tensioner and consider replacing.
Randy

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,944 Posts
Robert has an '87.

For sure, rebuild yourself, or have someone like JAE, rebuild the water pump. And since removing the WP requires removing the auxiliary shaft pulley (oil pump/distributor), put that green-dot pulley on the intake. JAE includes a different WP bolt for that one trouble-maker behind the aux pulley so that you wouldn't have to remove the pulley in the future.

If you feel like doing the WP rebuild yourself, JAE has the tools available for loan, or you could see if Randy's friend Tom M has any more of the tool his machinist made up for the purpose.

The Green Dot (104 MOP) pulleys make the car more drivable, providing more torque down low. They do NOT provide MORE POWER.

Last I heard you could get another 104 MOP pulley for about $100 for the exhaust cam, this is worth it IMO.

X2 on Randy's advice on replacing the timing belt tensioner.

(Since I've been bitten by the Shipright's Disease virus, you probably don't want my advice on what you should do "while you are in there".) rotfl

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys, I did purchase a seal tool from Tom M.
Sorry I forgot to mention the year of my Esprit :thwack:

Cheers,
Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts