The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Exige in for window tints this morning and thought I'd share the result. I had 20% on the side windows of the Elise and loved it - but I drove with the top off most of the time so it didn't seem very dark. Was never hassled by the cops.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/window-tint-pictures-94776/

Maybe I'm just getting older and becoming a little less ballsy, but I decided to go with 35% this time. Overall, I wish it could have been a little bit darker. But I suppose it's a fair trade-off for the risk of getting a ticket. During the day, 35% really doesn't seem that dark - you can still see in the cabin fairly easily. The 50% on the windshield is barely noticeable unless it's pointed out, but makes a big difference from the headlights of oncoming traffic at night.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Graham, congrats on your beautiful white Exige - a great upgrade from your old orange Elise. Almost said ***********, that didn't come out right! Again, very nicely done!

·
Registered
686 Posts
For full effect you should of went darker :p

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
That really does look fantastic, I love the simplicity of the two tone effect. Generally not a fan of white cars (my first car was a white Honda Accord so I think that biased me) but that's about the best looking white car I've ever seen. Maybe save for the white 12C Sypder I saw yesterday.

I'm not sure what I think about 50% tint on the windshield. I know that doesn't mean it cuts visibility by 50% but that still seems a bit exceissive. I'll try not the trash you since I haven't seen it in person and won't throw stones too hard as my side windows are 20%. For my car I almost never drive it at night but when I do I pretty much have to have the windows down. On the track the windows are always down so it's never been an issue for me (and while I've been pulled over a few times I've never gotten a ticket or any hassle over it).

Again stunning car.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I have the same combo. You did right, Graham.

Ross, visibility is not an issue.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I have the same combo. You did right, Graham.

Ross, visibility is not an issue.
Yeah, fair enough - like I said I'd want to see it in person first before I start throwing sticks at you guys - as you know I'll throw them if they are necessary!

Is it more like a softening of the light - sorta like wearing very lightly tinted sunglasses? I suppose I have a tinted shield on my helmet and while I do swap to my clear one when I do things like carting yesterday I forgot my clear one at home and drove with the tinted one. Was definitely a little too dark but not nearly as bad as I feared.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what I think about 50% tint on the windshield. I know that doesn't mean it cuts visibility by 50% but that still seems a bit exceissive. I'll try not the trash you since I haven't seen it in person and won't throw stones too hard as my side windows are 20%. For my car I almost never drive it at night but when I do I pretty much have to have the windows down. On the track the windows are always down so it's never been an issue for me (and while I've been pulled over a few times I've never gotten a ticket or any hassle over it).

Again stunning car.
Thanks, Ross! I was also worried about visibility - but after getting it on my Elise, it was pretty much unnoticeable unless it was pointed out. I've had it on my DD, as well - even though I was pulled over for tinted side windows (20%), the officer never noticed the tinted windshield. From the inside, you would barely notice it was tinted. It's just a very slight bit darker, not by much. However, it makes a HUGE impact on reducing cabin heat.

Is it more like a softening of the light - sorta like wearing very lightly tinted sunglasses? I suppose I have a tinted shield on my helmet and while I do swap to my clear one when I do things like carting yesterday I forgot my clear one at home and drove with the tinted one. Was definitely a little too dark but not nearly as bad as I feared.
Exactly like that. If you wore very, very mild light gray sunglasses, it would have a similar effect. At night, the difference is negligible. If anything, it's easier to see because you have less headlight glare from oncoming traffic.

Ara - I completely forgot you did the windshield! How is it holding up? Hamid did a stellar job.

plastique999 - Definitely, I'll see you guys there!

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I've had it on my DD, as well - even though I was pulled over for tinted side windows (20%), the officer never noticed the tinted windshield. From the inside, you would barely notice it was tinted. It's just a very slight bit darker, not by much. However, it makes a HUGE impact on reducing cabin heat.

Ara - I completely forgot you did the windshield! How is it holding up? Hamid did a stellar job.
Holding up well! Yep, I had him do the tint on my new car also. Same spec as your DD.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tint looks great, where did you get that done?
I must have not seen this earlier!

Sunshield Glass Tinting:
4704 Van Nuys Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 906-8468

Talk to Hamid - he's excellent.

bugman56 - Thanks!

Lotuscupcar - Do it! I think the Lotus looks so much more stealth with the tints!

Looking bad on this thread, I wish I had gone a bit darker on the sides. 35% is pretty light - next time around I'll be doing 20's. But no tickets yet..knock on wood.

Graham

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm not sure what I think about 50% tint on the windshield. I know that doesn't mean it cuts visibility by 50% but that still seems a bit exceissive. I'll try not the trash you since I haven't seen it in person and won't throw stones too hard as my side windows are 20%.
That is what it means.
There is tint and visibility, the opposite.
So 20% vlt is 80% tint, on top of any loss to glass and tint already.

Anyone using the 3M with about 80% heat blocking?
Really looks good in low tints.
Still pricey.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts