The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the threads and came across the thread regarding the Stormtrooper Elise. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/stormtrooper-elise-not-56k-friendly-55150/

I was wondering if anyone had instructions on how to do this. It says it was done with a paint. I would like to know which paint it was done with and if it is done on the outside of the lights or inside. I have an Aspen White Elise and the Stormtrooper looks great. I could not find any other information when searching for tinted tail lights.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. If anyone else has any tips that are Elise specific that would be much appreciated, but I think this will be enough to attempt it on my own.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was browsing the threads and came across the thread regarding the Stormtrooper Elise. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/stormtrooper-elise-not-56k-friendly-55150/

I was wondering if anyone had instructions on how to do this. It says it was done with a paint. I would like to know which paint it was done with and if it is done on the outside of the lights or inside. I have an Aspen White Elise and the Stormtrooper looks great. I could not find any other information when searching for tinted tail lights.

Thanks for any responses.
He had his done at CarNutz, it was painted. I did mine as well with PPG paint.
These are not tints but painted then using clear coat.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/painted-tail-lights-windshield-frame-headlight-bezel-56019/

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wouldn't recommend painting your tail lights unless you are professional. I had one of my sidemarkers painted and it was done in a dust free environment. That is crucial with paint. The rest of my lights have stickers, I had them done professionally, but I imagine those you can do on your own if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have pics of the tails with the tint spray instead of paint? I am very hesitant about using paint, and would like to use the VHT instead, but I really like the look of the cars with the painted tails. I am concerned about the visibility of the tails when driving, the last thing I want is someone to slam into the back of me if they cannot see my brake lights.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
My friend used the VHT stuff linked above and was done in half a day on a non elise... looks great

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm scared of tinted tails, I have them on my mustang and get pulled over all the time.
My friend also had his tails tinted and got rear ended. He ended up beeing charged for the damage on both cars because the police came and saw his tails and the driver of the other car claimed that the brake lights weren't bright enough. I may end up doing them on my elise, but I'm just a little frightened.

If I were to do them on an elise I would paint around it like this....

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I'm scared of tinted tails, I have them on my mustang and get pulled over all the time.
My friend also had his tails tinted and got rear ended. He ended up beeing charged for the damage on both cars because the police came and saw his tails and the driver of the other car claimed that the brake lights weren't bright enough. I may end up doing them on my elise, but I'm just a little frightened.

If I were to do them on an elise I would paint around it like this....

A friend of mine with a blisteringly hot Mustang got pulled over for tinted tail lights.

It ended up being a $2900 ticket total for all the modified parts on his car...:eek:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Why do people in california put up with that nonsense?
I thought it was a car state?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
You know, I personally draw the line at taillights, especially in a state where half the people behind you are drinking their double decaf half caps while applying eyeliner and talking on the cell phone. Not to mention the fact that once one of these geniuses slam into you, they can claim they didn't see your illegally tinted tail lights.:shrug: No thanks.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
....especially in a state where half the people behind you are drinking their double decaf half caps while applying eyeliner and talking on the cell phone.

And that's the men......

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
For some time I've wanted to add brighter brake lights and turn signals that shut off at night when the lights are turned on.
I wouldn't tint anything without doing that.
What is proper for sunlight is far too bright at night.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand the possibility of the tails being too dark and being a problem, that is why I was inquiring about the elise mentioned in the first post. It appears that the lights would not be affected by the paint. I was wondering what was involved in doing that. I am more hesitant to tint the entire tail light section, since I drive the car at night quite a bit. If anyone has done it similar and would like to share the steps involved and what is needed, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I would think it would be more of a problem in daylight, especially with direct sunlight on the lenses.

On my wagon, I'm adding a lightbar under the car for backup lights and I've thought of adding some auxiliary lighting there for day only.
I plan on a clear chmsl on the top of the window with LEDs.
With three across the top of the window, the outer two could be used for turn signals or dual use brake/turn signals.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Why do people in california put up with that nonsense?
I thought it was a car state?
They do the same thing to EVOs all the time.

Pull them over and make the driver jump through hoops. :shrug:

Sometimes no ticket for all the mods, just alot of wasted time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
PM sent

1 - 20 of 20 Posts