The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on tinting my windows. Even though my AC blows cold, driving in sunny hot weather here in southern california isn't fun.
I'm not a big fan of tinted windows, especially at night. What else can one do?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Timely; I have been thinking about this too.

There is a 3M crystaline tint (I think that is the name) and it comes in clear.

its $$$

I stopped by a stereo/tins shop the other day and they have a lower cost alternative (90% effective 40% the cost I figure) that say claim works great. I was going to have the front window done - they said that is very common and does not effect vision.

My side windows have a light tint already so I thought i would see if the clear on the front helps. Its cheap enough that I can call it an experiment. The 3M - not so much.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Check with your local DMV about tinting. Some States are very particular about which windows and how much tint you can apply. If you have the sunroof maybe try the solid panel or tint the sunroof. Have the A/C checked, maybe something is clogged up or you may be low on refrigerant. If you converted from R-12 you lost 10% of your capacity. Consider adding insulation to the rear firewall and floor. Park in shade? Some States will not allow ANYTHING on the front windscreen other than the factory tint on the upper portion of the windscreen.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
802 Posts
I dont have a contact, I looked at it on google or something a few months ago and it was 3 or $400 for just the front window.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had my side windows done by a local shop when I was going through the rebuild. I had removed all the glass from the car prepping it for painting so I just took the door windows to them. They said they couldn't do the windshield except for a top mounted "sun strip" because Florida law does not allow windshield tinting below the manufacturers mark. Eventually I found a shop willing to do it and had them install their equivalent of 3M Crystaline. It was about $150 as I recall. They said the law had been changed and you could get a windshield tinted provided it was less than a certain percent of darkening. The tint on mine is hardly noticeable, I've never had any hassle from cops, and Florida has no vehicle inspection. So don't anticipate I'll end up in jail for having a tint on the windshield. The change is very modest as far as color and no one except my son has ever noticed the change. It is worth doing, at least in a hot and sunny climate like Florida.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had my side windows done by a local shop when I was going through the rebuild. I had removed all the glass from the car prepping it for painting so I just took the door windows to them. They said they couldn't do the windshield except for a top mounted "sun strip" because Florida law does not allow windshield tinting below the manufacturers mark. Eventually I found a shop willing to do it and had them install their equivalent of 3M Crystaline. It was about $150 as I recall. They said the law had been changed and you could get a windshield tinted provided it was less than a certain percent of darkening. The tint on mine is hardly noticeable, I've never had any hassle from cops, and Florida has no vehicle inspection. So don't anticipate I'll end up in jail for having a tint on the windshield. The change is very modest as far as color and no one except my son has ever noticed the change. It is worth doing, at least in a hot and sunny climate like Florida.
Did you feel a significant difference in the heat transfer after the windshield tint was applied? Was it a noticeable difference?

Adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts