The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a silly question but.... I'm rather introverted and had planned on putting a lite tint on the side and rear windows.
Then, the thought occurred to me that the Elise was so low all people could really see is the roof.

So, my question is, when you're driving in the Elise, can you see other people, or is all you see just their door handles and tires?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yup, when you have the top on very few people can see you. I generally tint windows the day i buy a new car but this one doesn't need it at all. For some reason i don't think it would look right with tinted windows either.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i rather like the idea of a light neutral tone tint

·
Registered
714 Posts
I got my current car (non-Elise) tinted windows to help keep the sun out of the car during they day, and so bright headlights from cars behind me don't blind me.

I got them tinted 30% on the side windows, and 15% in the back. That % is the amount of light let through. It sounds really dark, but it's what was just within the legal limit.

I find it does a good job of preventing blinding from rear cars without reducing visibility, and so-so on keeping the car cooler. I could see myself doing the same on the Elise. But I'd try it for a while without it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm not concerned with who sees me in my car, however minimizing the sun's radiation effects is my main concern here in Phoenix.

I've had Huper Optik tint in my TT for 4 years and have been very happy with the results. Although it's a light tint, the amount of radiation it cuts down has dramatically increased the effectiveness of the air conditioning. I'm also sure it has minimized sun damage as well.

http://www.huperoptik.com/AutoProduct.asp?cat=NaviAuto.inc

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I almost didn't get the Elise because you have to drive with your pants on - but that's another topic :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not interested in tinting, however I think I am going to have a clear tint applied to the rear window. I understand it is quite fragile. In case of a mishap, the clear should hold it in one piece.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I'm considering tinting them as well. When I went to Petite Lemans at Road Atlanta I had people jumping in front of me to take pictures. My girlfriend and I both talked about how nice it would have been to have them tinted that day. At the same time, the car doesn't sit out in the sun very often.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I'm not interested in tinting, however I think I am going to have a clear tint applied to the rear window. I understand it is quite fragile. In case of a mishap, the clear should hold it in one piece.
Yeah, I heard someone already broke their rear window. Anyone know about this? I heard the entire rear bodywork had to be removed to replace the window!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
tinting

Allan,

Check with your local police department, a phone call should get you an officer to talk to. In California you can tint the rear and back side windows. Not the front side windows or the front window. There are additional rules like it must be done as an after market product.

I know someone that got a fix it ticket. Dealer installed and they were front side windows. Expensive.

Many may say people tint the front side windows but many out here in CA don't stop at stop signs either.

have fun

Nick

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: tinting

Nick said:
Allan,Check with your local police department, a phone call should get you an officer to talk to.Nick
Front window tints and no front plates are two pluses for living here in Arizona. Almosts makes up for the terrible heat.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Graydon said:
With as much attention as this car apparently draws, I will be tinting with the darkest tint allowed.
I have to admit I've considered tinting the windows because you're constantly being stared at. Sometimes its fun, othertimes its annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts