The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get over there around mid- november for a tour/scare yourself sensible day. Can anyone give me some recommendations of lodging, transportation from the best airport etc. or any other tips that might make the trip go more smoothly? I got some ideas from Patricko, but any others would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Stansted is the closest ~1.5 to 2 hours away. Hard to get a flight from the US to Stansted. Normally US flights land in Heathrow or Gatwick. Doesn't matter, they are all relatively close. Stay anywhere near Hethel would be well, boring. It's farm country. Better to stay near London until maybe the night before. If you are getting a rental car don't even bother staying near Hethel. Find a place NE of London or in London, it's only a 2 hour or less drive. You need to be there by 8:30am or so, that time of the morning traffic tend to be very light, extra so since you're going out of the London area. Hethel does have a "downtown" area with some hotels & B&B's. The Lotus factory is easy to find.

London has absolute TONS of stuff. If you're a dork like me the the British Musuem is amazing. That's a whole day right there. Tons of great pubs, retail areas (Harrod's rocks), great old stuff to look at.

For a side trip I HIGHLY recommend Bath, England. It's way on the west of England but it's awesome. And on the way you can stop off at Stonehenge.

And expect crap weather there, even more so at that time of year.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zvezdah1 said:
JD,
Does the factory run scare yourself sensible in November, I was thinking Sept was cutoff.

Chris
Lisa told me the 10th and 16th are open.:)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
No, she just coordinates the driving school stuff. She runs the part when your waiting for your drive. You go out in groups of 2-3 and sit in the upstairs of the driver's building while you are waiting. It's got a lounge area with an outside balcony. Cool to watch cars and tv for people that aren't interested in the cars. I think that it is also used for receptions as there was a small bar/serving area there too. There also is Lotus Sport stuff there for sale that's not for sale in the main tour shop.

The guy I got for the last tour was a shop manager. Knew tons, looked like a soccer holigan in a nice shirt. I think that if you do something wrong on the tour he pulls a beer bottle out and smashes it on your head. I didn't try it to see if it really happened...

It runs like this - 1/2 goes on the factory tour and the other goes driving then you switch. Might different with the a smaller number of people.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Christian,
My car is scheduled to be built around that time- is it just wishful thinking to be able to see my car in the process on being glued together?

Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The last time I went to Hethel to do engine development work, I stayed at Dungston Hall (011-44-1508-470-444). I flew into Heathrow and took the train north. It's about a $60 train ride, but it is definitely the way to go. The train will drop you right downtown.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'd hire a car. Do not rely on English public transit. It's expensive and always late. And Hethel is out in farm country. Not too bad a drive though. As said before, a couple hours from London if you leave early in the morning (which you'll have to anyway to get there). At ~6-6:30am, I had no traffic on the M25 or M11. Just watch out for speed cameras.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
_JD_ said:
Christian,
My car is scheduled to be built around that time- is it just wishful thinking to be able to see my car in the process on being glued together?

Thanks again,
Jim
Maybe. It doesn't take long to assemble the car but it sits in the back lot til it gets shipped. Each car has a "Build Book" with the customer's name. If you're luck and you know what you ordered (color, options, LSS or not) you MIGHT be able to figure it out.

One place that would be fun to go to is Wells-Next-The-Sea. It's north of Hethel and is sort of like Cape Cod. The North Sea is cold and crappy but the area is beautiful. Best place in England to get Fish & Chips. Not a full day's adventure but nice to stop at after visiting the Lotus plant.

Lotus is located by the bottom of the "C" in Norwich. I stole the map from another web site. Do a google seach for it and there is alot of informantion on it.

Hiring a car would cool for taking trips. But if you're staying in the London area I would use cabs and the Underground. Parking is extrememly expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I might want to drive the rental to get used to rhd which I've never done- any special requirements to rent and drive the rental?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
They will just through the keys at you and tell you to have a good time...

I would recommend that you spend the night in Norwich the night before as it is at least a 2 hour drive each way and the price of a hotel in Norwich is about 1/3 the price of a hotel in London.

Patrick

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I'd hire a car. Do not rely on English public transit. It's expensive and always late.
But, you do meet the nicest people ! (Seriously).

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Patrick- It looks like I'll be doing the Driving Experience now on Oct 30th instead of the Scare yourself sensible which is on Oct 10th or 16th.

·
Registered
88 Posts
_JD_ said:
thanks Patrick- It looks like I'll be doing the Driving Experience now on Oct 30th instead of the Scare yourself sensible which is on Oct 10th or 16th.
Hi Jim,
We my get to meet. I'm on Richard Parramint's tour, the 27th of Oct. thru the 1st of Nov. Must be the same drivers training day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts