The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone tryed to carjack one of my co-workers yesterday.He just got a new Dodge Magnum a few weeks ago. He was at a light and someone came up, pounded on his car and told him to get out of the car and give it to him. The person didnt
show a weapon, so my friend ran the light and went down a one way street the wrong way and managed to lose him. The guy I work with is about 6' 7" and weights about 350lbs, but I guess they couldnt see that.

My brothers girlfriend was in a mall parking lot a few years ago and had just gotten a new car and 2 guys grabbed her trying to get her car keys. One guy broke her arm but she was able to swing around and break the other guys nose, and this scared the first guy off because there was blood all over the place and it was causing a scene with her yelling at them. This was kind of dumb because she was outnumbered, but she said that she was so pissed that she just just went crazy when they went after her.

I see that some people on this forum drive Porches, Benzs and BMWs, which are high theft targets and might have had similar experiences. I refuse to deal with crooks and just give then the car, But then it would be funny as hell trying to see someone who is not familiar with the car trying to get into it! I know a lot of people that carry guns in their cars all the times, but I know that I dont have enough self control to not shoot and kill someone. I probably can outdrive someone, but then I risk the chance of running into an innocent person which is not something that I would want to do either. Since we will be driving a high profile car, does anyone have any tips to avoid this, or do you think I am being overly paranoid?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
wow... you have had some unlucky friends. I don't know anyone that this has happened to.

I guess all i can add is that be aware of your surroundings. And this would apply to people who will maybe hunt you down to ask you questions about the car. Like mikester who was able to get us some fabulous pics of chrome orange. He chased after that guy. You just have to see (if you can) who it is chasing you and make a judgement if the guy is shady or not. Most of the time you can totally tell that the guy is shady in some way. If the guy is in a broken down car or dirty with more than one person, then maybe i would be suspicious. But if it were a Benz or nice car, whatever, I would be less suspicious. Sorry but first impressions are everything. Especially when you are talking about your beloved Elise and even your life.

Even at an intersection if you're stopped. I always leave enough space in front of the other car so i can get the hell out if I have to. So think of simple things like that. Think as you are driving, if something were to happen how would i be able to make a move or what could i do to protect myself.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Simple... if you can escape, do so. If that means that you can drive away and leave them behind... then great. But if you're stuck, then get out of the car and let them take it. The Elise is an awesome little car, but it's not worth you life. And there are lowlife scum who seem to think that a human life is worth less than a car.

I will probably put an internet tracking device into the Elise somewhere. Yes, it'll add a few pounds but at least I can track where the car is all the time via the internet. And I can shut down the motor whenever I want. Great for handing this information over to the police, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'd get out of the car and let them have it. If they didn't immediately get into the car and drive away but instead continued to threaten me they would probably get to see my gun.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
it's a crap shoot, even if you cooperate their liable to shoot you.

As someone else said, I always leave plenty of room in front to get away if possible, also look around for potential threats, pretty much the same behavior when riding a motorcycle, whether it's an armed thug on foot or a 120 pound soccer mom in an escalade.

Chris:(

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I don't see the Elise being the same type of target as say as Magnum or even BMW. Lets face it, if you just stole a Lotus, what are you going to do with it. Sure a joy ride is possible but really, how the heck are you going to avoid being noticed? You can't part the thing proactically because the parts are so specialized and the market is very limited. SO an educated theif would stay away just based on that.

What scares me, not just in this senerio but also just in general, is the idiot. the one that doesn't follow reason or thinks thiings through fully before acting on something. Lojack will recover your car as will a GPS based internet service. In the end, if you can get away, do. It is always the best alternative because a crack head could shoot you even if you do give the car up, just as Chris said.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Re: Re: Tips to avoid Carjacking

roadrunner said:
I believe this is the recommended approach:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/232777.stm
I remember reading about that. the inventor said, it's not lethal, but most likelly will blind the agressor for sure.

I'm all about protecting my property. But what if it's someone that needs help or just someone that comes to tell you, nice car I have one on order too.

Just get a lowjack or something like that and let them have it. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but "it's just a car"

Miguel

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Here's my story:

About 2 years ago, I was driving home from playing basketball (worn out!!!) and just driving casually, when this guy came flying up behind me and tried to change lanes and pass me on the right (in his pickup truck) as I was changing lanes to let him by on the left, So I swerved back to let him pass on the right, and he almost hit me. Then he pulls up on my right side and rolls his window down, screaming at me: "F*CK you, you little faggot!!!" He was a big old redneck - he looked like Paul Sr. from American Choppers, so I screamed back, "F*ck YOU, you old redneck!" Not smart. We exchanged several more shouts back and forth, before coming to a stop in traffic. He proceeded to get out of his pickup truck, at which point I realized the extent of my error in judgement. He was about 6'5" and 300 lbs of muscle. His biceps had to be 22" around, no lie. He looked like a 50 year old professional wrestler coming my way to smash my head in. I had no chance whatsoever. Even if I didn't just play 3 hours of basketball, my only chance would be to run. Anyhow, just as he started towards my car in rage, the traffic picked up again, and I darted out of there, swerving through 4 lanes and getting on the highway. That's why I'm here to tell you guys about it and that maniac isn't serving life in prison.

If someone tried to carjack me with a gun, I'd give it up. Otherwise, I'd try to run, or fight if I had to.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Driving around the bad parts of baltimore, I always make sure that I don't drive myself into a corner. For instance at a light, I leave a car length between me and the next guy up, and stay in the left lane. If anyone approaches the car I can swerve out and away.

Of course staying out of the bad parts of town in a nice car can be a good plan as well.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You are asking about how to prevent someone attempting suicide? If that is what they what, we oblige them here in Texas.

Suicide is what they call it when someone wants to die, then creates a situation where it is likely to happen, right?

Greg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tips to avoid Carjacking

MOKOSpeeD said:
Instead of fire, a burning (but not deadly) gas might work more efficiently.
I can't see where a gas that creates a burning sensation (i.e. Mace which is not effective on everyone or pepper spray which must hit mucuos membranes to work) can be more efficient than actually burning someone which will absolutely create the pain which is likely to stop an illegal action. However, I can see where mistakes would not likely create a permanent effect. That would be desirable.

The "James Bond" Lotus alarm system (the car explodes) would be very effcient in preventing repeat offenders or others thinking about stealing a Lotus, but would be hell on your insurance.

Greg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips to avoid Carjacking

Racer X said:
I can't see where a gas that creates a burning sensation (i.e. Mace which is not effective on everyone or pepper spray which must hit mucuos membranes to work) can be more efficient than actually burning someone which will absolutely create the pain which is likely to stop an illegal action.

Greg
Maybe efficiency is not what I meant, but rather excessiveness. B/c from the looks of the pictures, that fire causes permanent damage to people, 3rd, 4th degree burns, or death. If one doesn't think that's excessive than I can't really say more.
Yeah, mace may be out-dated. Perhaps a neurotoxin in the form of a gas is best. It's also a matter of delivery. The gas could be absorbed through the skin causing temporary paralysis :) or the aggressor could simply inhale some of the gas, which is sprayed at to create a large inescapable cloud.
If that's not enough, maybe a gatling gun operated via computer and camera can be mounted on the car. It can pop up out of the roof. :clap:
Martin

·
Registered
3,577 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips to avoid Carjacking

MOKOSpeeD said:
Maybe efficiency is not what I meant, but rather excessiveness. B/c from the looks of the pictures, that fire causes permanent damage to people, 3rd, 4th degree burns, or death. If one doesn't think that's excessive than I can't really say more.
It may be excessive, but I can understand why someone would create such a anti-theft prevention tool. Car jacking in South Africa is often followed by kidnap, torture, rape, and death. If cars came equipped with such devices that would permanently injure a criminal, then that criminal may think twice before approaching his next target.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips to avoid Carjacking

Modern Wedgie said:
It may be excessive, but I can understand why someone would create such a anti-theft prevention tool. Car jacking in South Africa is often followed by kidnap, torture, rape, and death. If cars came equipped with such devices that would permanently injure a criminal, then that criminal may think twice before approaching his next target.
Hmmm okay. I didn't see it that way. I see the fire and its purpose now. Thanks MW for the insight
-Martin

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
While in the UK, I read an article in the paper that stated that authorities in South Africa were telling women that if they are carjacked and given the options: a) come with them and live or b) die on the spot, to choose option b), because with option a) you are guaranteed to die anyway but under much more terrible circumstances :eek:

I've been told South Africa is a very beautiful place, as long as you dont go to the wrong parts of the country.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts