The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking that I should add a tire change and tire balance machine to my garage. Does anyone have any advice on what to get?

I don't need professional grade, I just need something that gets the job done properly. I would estimate that I would only do 4-12 tires a year so very low volume.

:shift:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't need the best, roadforce not needed at all in this case.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I'd advise against it.

I'm part owner in a Coats 220 motorcycle tire machine and static balancer. I never use it any more since it's such a PITA to use. A pneumatic machine would have represented a significantly higher investment and taken up more floor space.

My .02.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I purchased my lift and roller cabinets from Greg Smith Equipment (www.gregsmithequipment.com). They have tire changers and balancers. I don't know anything about that stuff, but their prices were fairly competitive on everything I shopped for there.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I'm using a Harbor Freight touchless tire changing machine ($1,000 new) and an older Hunter computerized spin balancer ($300 used). The Harbor Freight machine works well, but I am not sure I would want to work on ultra low profile tires or tires with very stiff side walls on this machine--too little margin for error with a resulting bent/damaged rim. The most aggressive tires I have done on this machine were some 235/40-17s on some reverse drop BMW rims and it was a little touch and go for awhile but it handled them. The old Hunter spin balancing machine was state of the art 10-15 years ago, and still does a great job. Hunter balancers are worth every penny and are very nice high end pieces of equipment. I use this machine whenever I remove a wheel from any of my cars for any reason and I no longer have any wheel balance problems with any of my cars including the Elise. It is also great for checking your tires/wheels for out of round or run out conditions. I use this machine much more than my tire machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts