The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... was originally planning to convert my little miata to run in spec miata, but my jeep is playing games with me again, and I need the miata as a daily driver for a little bit longer. Anyone have any suggestions as to some good tires for AutoX? I'm running the 14 inch BBS rims that came from the factory on some of the miatas. I know there's a few miata nuts out there....what have ya'll been successful with? Thanks for the help,

Cade

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Falken Alzenis are cheap, good for street, and pretty sticky.

I would also consider the Toyo RA1s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kumho Victorace is what the local Miata Club drivers have used for both Autocross and Track days . The new Kumho is supposed to be as good. For pure autocrossing Hoosiers and for a combination street and autocross/track tire I've heard nothing but good things about the Falken Asenzis. I've used the Kumho Victorace and Hoosier, have a friend who has used the new Kumho and know no one who has actually used the Falken. The Yoko A07s suck as do Nittos, have used these, too.

John Lefcourte. '00 Miata with Sports Package (and Koni adjustables), '90 Caterham Super Seven

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much obliged, ya'll!

I just put some Falken Azenzis on, and so far I love em. I picked up some serious time on the autoX, and I felt like I could have pushed a bit harder still. They're also much better in the wet than what I had on there.

I may give the Kuhmos a try next time I'm buying tires. Couldn't hurt to experiment a bit.

Thanks,

Cade

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cade, You will find the azenis to be an excellent all around tire. If you have to pick one, it is a good one (I had come down the azenis or RA-1 as a replacements for my T1-S). They do get greasy when hot, but you can help that with a spray bottle.

I have run virtually all the competitive R compound tires on my M1 miata, and here is how I would rank them (in my opinion):

1) Hoosier A
2) Kumho V700
3) Hoosier R
4) Kumho Victo

I have been running 1 & 2 this year, in the same size, and the Hoosier definitely is worth .5 sec on a 60 sec course. I found the 3 initially had nearly the grip of 1, but after a number of heat cycles fell off to be worse than 4. The grip was gone long before the tire wore out. 4 is definitely the best bang for the buck, and you can get decent street mileage from them too. They are excellent in the wet - possibly the best of the bunch.

You definitely have the best rim - the BBS is the choice at 8+ lb each. The rims alone can be worth a significant chunk of time on the course (~4 lb per corner). I know my hoosier / BBS combo is 26lb each - I doubt many others can claim that!

I am curious how your azenis perform as they age - do they keep their grip and wet weather performance?

Steve
05 Elise
94 miata CS

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, great info!

I'll keep you posted on how the Azenzis do over the long term, with both street and autox use.

I also really like the BBS rims, I got the set of four at a junkyard for 40 dollars each, and while I haven't weighed the rims I had on the miata, they definitely feel heavier than the BBS.

I picked up more than a second on a 45 second course with the tire and rim swap. (Now, my old tires were really worn out, and I'm sure that was a negative factor, but still... big change.)

So far, haven't had much problem with the Azenzis getting overheated and greasy, they don't have much chance to heat, and have some time to cool between runs. Maybe on a longer course, or as I push closer to the limits of this tire, I'll see differently.

Cade

·
Registered
274 Posts
I purchased a set of Azenis' for my WRX this year and have had OK luck with them. At the same time, I purchased a set of Kumho Ecsta MX tires for my Miata. The MX tires seem like better tires overall for street driving due to their better wet weather performance. The Azenis' were great at first, but seemed to have gone down hill faster than I expected. Grip now is significantly less than initially and wear was much more than anticipated. Since I only autocross the WRX on ocassion (Miata is primary atutocross car), I can't really attribute the degraded performance to overly agressive tendencies.

I have about 8000 miles on them and a couple of autocrosses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts