The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok expert detailers out there. What do you recommend for tire dressing? Something that looks good and lasts. I am not particularly fond of the super wet look though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well, everybody's got their favorites...

Personally, I like using Meguair's #40 vinyl/rubber cleaner. This stuff really cleans the rubber, getting rid of the brown "bloom" without creating shine. Basically makes the tires look like you just bought a new set.

I've also recently tried the orange-colored Eagle One tire/wheel cleaner. The Eagle One product is okay if you're looking to minimize the number of products you keep on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Stick with good quality tire gels as the cheap ones turn brown after a while and look terrible. I recommend Meguiars Endurance, 303 Aerospace Protectant, and Forever Black Tire Gel Kit. If your tires are very dirty clean them with tire cleaner like Eimann Fabrik Tire cleaner or Blackfire Tire Cleaner. Most times just a good washing with your car wash will do it though and you can put on the tire dressing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
We like Stoner's More Shine Less Time. You just spray it on and it's not super shiny or messy to use.

Clicky

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yokohama recommends against tire dressing

Some years ago, Yokohama came out and specifically recommend against tire dressing.

The tire sidwall is a critical element of the tire and adding chemicals should be considered carefully. While the recent problems Kumho had with the ECSTA 710 was not caused by dressing, it does show the critical nature of tire construction.

Yokohama published a notice that suggested tire dressing may cause problems with tire sidewall and recommended strongly against their use. I do not have the original notice and do not remember exactly how long ago it was published.

Me, I will be careful and will not sacrifice the integrity of my tires for appearance purposes. Of course time has passed and both tire rubber and dressing formulations have changed and it may no longer be a problem.

Michael

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm not a big fan of a lot of dressing, but admit I do use a bit of rubber protectant on it like 303.

Whatever school of thought you come from, keeping them clean will still prevent a lot of the browning and discoloration. I use this guideline in other areas that I don't wish to treat (detailing wise).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow, I haven't heard of any warnings from tire companies before, nor have I heard of any failures related to tire dressings. I did a search of Autopia and there is nothing about dressing related failures there.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I did read something cautioning against using silicone based protectants on rubber, saying that it leaches out the waxes the are used with the rubber compound to improve longevity and protect against UV.
Chris

·
Registered
538 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I did read something cautioning against using silicone based protectants on rubber, saying that it leaches out the waxes the are used with the rubber compound to improve longevity and protect against UV.
Chris
Yes, I think they were only focusing on silicone based dressings.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Don't many products in the Meguiar's consumer line have silicone? One of the main differences between it and the professional series.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The elise tires are going to wear out so fast I don't think any tire dressing will have enough time to effect the performance or reliability of the tires. It's an interesting piece of info for long term situations though. Thanks to all those who put in their two cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts