The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Tire eating Evora?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  LEAD2CRM 
#1 ·
I just got my oil changed at 9,000 miles and the mechanic confirmed what I already knew...my rear tires are worn to hell. The front ones are ok, but what gives? I bought the car with 4,000 miles and didnt really inspect the back tires (stupid, I know) so I guess they were worn down a bit, or does this car eat tires?

#2 ·
Happens often. Which model, NA or S? How hard have you driven her (really)?

I'm 4500 miles in. Gotta start considering options. The Corsas are awesome, but quite a bit of change.

#4 ·
I think the Corsa's are really sensitive to tire pressure and alignment in terms of wear. I had my pressures at 35/38 per Lotus' specs for the first 3K miles, and ended up with excessive wear in the centers of the rears. Dropped the pressures a little, and now the rears are wearing on the inside. At a little over 5K, I need to replace the tires, and will have an alignment done as well. Trying to decide about another set of Corsa's vs. Pilot Super Sports.

Anyone else notice that 3 of the first 6 threads on this page are about tire issues?

#5 ·
+1 on the alignment.
But that wear is probably close to average. Mine were just replaced at 9.5K miles--yours were probably half gone when you bought the car.
The OEM tires have a relatively poor wear rating (because of the "soft" compound), and the rear tires are worked pretty hard on a mid-engine car, no matter how you drive it. :D

#10 ·
You want traction you get wear. Try putting some green tires on and see how much traction you have. seriously. It'll corner like the roads are wet

#13 · (Edited)
i am using my second set of conti sport contact 3s in rear. i did not need to change fronts as they seemd pretty ok. i can suggest continental - at least for NA cars- it has amazing grip. but its the rule. if it grips, it not long lasting..

btw i drive evora real hard. i drift daily and go to trackdays like once in a month.

#14 ·
What is the wear pattern?

Outside - you're driving hard or doing lots of twisties with low tire pressure
Inside - alignment, too much neg camber
Center - alignment again. Most likely too much toe-in (pretty common)
Cupping & feathering - check wheel/tire balance and or dampers

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

#19 ·
Another way to look at tires is age. I have no problems replacing tires at 3 years on my sports cars because at that point the rubber is past its prime anyway. Based on that you can be happy you wore them out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.