The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well.... the time has come (waaaayyyyyy over due) for some new tires on my car.

Before I make the purchase (or before they explode on 95) am I correct at saying the only tire to fit OE spec is the Yokohamas Advan AD07?

This really sucks. I am not thrilled at forking out $345 a tire for the rears and even more for the fronts...

I've check the search bar and have seen several conversations... I'm just wanting to see if anyone knows something that I don't.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Personally speaking, if you do nothing but drive the car for canyon runs/weekends and during the week, my vote is the BF Goodrich KDW NT T/As.

If you do Autocross/Track Days I have heard the Toyo R1Rs and the Toyo R888s are Great tires for these two events, as well as the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. However make sure your alignment is spot on, especially you toe. If your toe is off, you will go through tires FAST!!! I went through my Star Specs in the rear in almost 6k miles, but my fronts are wearing AMAZINGLY well. Sure, our cars eat rear tires fast, but I think toe has a major part of that as well.

Sizing for the front (most common people run now) is a 205/50/16 and in the rear you can run a 225/45/17 or 235/45/17 or 245/45/17.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
?
Yea in the grand scheme of things lotus tires are cheap as hell. Just don't buy the stockers, lots of other options which have been discussed to death.
Hell, yes. Try keepin a 'Vette in tires.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Star Specs are half the price - great tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i dig the options...

However, guys, my situation is wanting exact match tires. I didnt plan on buying the fronts for a little while longer. So, if i switch brands, i figure ill be jumping to a 185/55/16.

You think thats acurate? Once again, ive read numerous threads that danced around answers im looking for.

I daily drive mine for at least the next 2months

·
Registered
2,612 Posts

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
According to the ware, you are running with too much air pressure in the tires and too much camber.
According to the wear, you are running a Lotus with a little too small of a budget.
Your tires should have been replaced a couple of thousands of miles ago :thwack:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Shoot, for the price of a new set of AD07 tires i was about to buy new Rota wheels in 16X7 and 17X8 sizes(probably should have done 15X7 and 16X8 but hindsight is always 20/20) and some new R888 tires, ok so it was about $300 more but, thats a steal considering I could have bought a less expensive set of tires too. You gotta pay to play and those tires are WAY overdue to be changed, plus don't forget to get an alignment.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
goto tirerack.com, and enter your car model and year. It will show you a lot of options that fit. I personally like street tires over track tires, so i get the cheap General tires. They are about $120/tire. They work great for what I want, and its no strain to buy a new set. Other people on this board will groan about generals(because they are cheap), but they have never actually tried them.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
G Force T/A KDW2 - great street tire and grip very well in the wet.

Not expensive at all. Maybe like $130 for the 16s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
G Force T/A KDW2 - great street tire and grip very well in the wet.

Not expensive at all. Maybe like $130 for the 16s.
I run those on the RX-8. Great tire...but holy crap are they loud. I guess that wouldn't matter in the Lotus, but just so the OP is aware.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
According to the wear, you are running a Lotus with a little too small of a budget.
Your tires should have been replaced a couple of thousands of miles ago :thwack:
+1... although I gathered that from the thread title.

All ribbing aside, if you want a matching set you can likely buy four of the tires that people mentioned for the price of 2 OE rear tires.

My vote is on the Star Spec that komiko mentioned.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
For street I've had the

Nitto NeoGen (ok grip, great wet)
Nitto NT-05 (good grip, descent wet)
Falken Azenis RT-615 (good grip, terrible wet....seriously terrible)

I had the Azenis for a while, I just could not stand the lack of traction in any amount of rain. The Azenis then went up in price. Went to NeoGens on the front and NT-05's on the back and have been satisfied. Think I will try NT-05's all the way around next.

My fronts usually last about 3x as long as the rears. Not that I'm killing the rears, just the lack of weight on the fronts makes them last forever.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All of the guys with that gave me information, i thank you. I'm sure i'll be making a choice this week. Heck, i gotta!

To the guys who mentioned my back account, i have a '26 454 H2X Baja, a 1939 Chevy pickup hot rod, and a '63 VW buggy. I'll be purchasing a pre owned Range Rover within two months for DD. There's a reason i can afford all of them. I'm also 25.

Thanks for your assumptions, but i think i have this under control :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts