The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a bit of research on tires lately since I will probably be buying an entire new set of tires before spring. I have decided to explore some other options, mainly the Toyo T1-Rs and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

Right now I am weighing two options:

Option 1:

185/50-16, 225/45-17 Toyo T1-Rs on the stock rims. Has anyone mounted these in the 185/50-16 on the base wheels before?

Option 2:

195/45-16 or 205/45-16, 225/45-17 F1 GS-D3s on aftermarket or sport rims.

I would like to get some impressions from people currently using either of these tires, particularly the T1-Rs since I haven't heard a lot about them. I know the GS-D3s are good tires, I am just trying to determine if it's worth buying a set of wheels so I can use them (I am guessing a 195 isn't ideal for the base wheels).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Before you make yuor decision, you should realize that neither of those tires is going to provide the crisp handling feel of the stock Advan Neova tires. Both are rather soft, being optimized for a smooth quiet ride. I was very unhappy with the Goodyears on my Miata, having been accustomed to the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position. If I had wanted to feel like I was driving a Buick, I wouldn't have bought a Miata.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
In September, I fitted 195/50/16 and 225/45/17 Toyo T1Rs on my factory Exige wheels for street use, and put the Yokohama AO48s on another set of wheels for track use.

All in all, I am very pleased. The Toyos are quiet, compliant, and...yes...they do NOT deliver the same crisp and hyper-responsive feel of the Yokos. That is okay and expected that; my goals were a street tire that would provide better traction in the wet (safety), better durability and lifespan (cost), high performance when needed, and would be as similar as possible specification-wise (size and rotational dimensions, and weight) to the stock AO48s. The Toyos have provided that for me. The AO48s now go onto the car for track days, only, and deliver performance appropriate for the track.

The Goodyear F1 is a better tire, overall, as demonstrated by a Car & Driver test. However, it required "plus" sizing for the front, as 195s are not available...and the possibility of rubbing (depends on ride height) and (further) speedo inaccuracy as compared to the stock tire size.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
****'s running T1R's on his car with even larger sizes, and seems to like them.

I saw a few comments elsewhere on the web about out of round Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I had the F1 GS-D3 on my previous car (Subaru). They are excellent tires. Especially if it rains a lot where you live, their wet performance is outstanding. But John is correct, their sidewalls are fairly soft. It's not too bad if you use them on relatively wide wheels, and run high enough air pressures. But if crisp steering response is your primary concern, they would not be a good choice.

Other good tires that are available in Elise sizes: Hankook R-S2 and Falken FK-451.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have had the F1s on other cars and found the sidewalls to be too soft, although their wet weather traction is amazing. I decided to go with Toyo T1Rs because the sidewalls are significantly stiffer, and according to my tech friends at the tire place have the least returns and require the least weight to balance out. I have only had these for a few days but going with slightly larger sizes (225/45/16 and 255/40/17) on wider wheels don't feel a lot of loss in the response department and until I go to the track would presume I probably have lost adhesion at the edge (which is fine for the street).

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I like to keep up with threads like this....I know I will have to replace my set late next year or the driving season after.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lotusmotion said:
All in all, I am very pleased. The Toyos are quiet, compliant, and...yes...they do NOT deliver the same crisp and hyper-responsive feel of the Yokos. That is okay and expected that; my goals were a street tire that would provide better traction in the wet (safety), better durability and lifespan (cost), high performance when needed, and would be as similar as possible specification-wise (size and rotational dimensions, and weight) to the stock AO48s. The Toyos have provided that for me. The AO48s now go onto the car for track days, only, and deliver performance appropriate for the track.
Good comparison to the A048s. I'm wondering if anyone with the AD07s has tried T1-Rs and if so how do they compare in terms of responsiveness? The quick responses and good feedback are definitely some things I like about my current AD07s.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to go with the T1-Rs and mount them on my base wheels. I ordered a set from tiredeals4less.com for $429.69 shipped to my door (185/50-16 and 225/45-17). For less than the price of 2 rear AD07s, it was hard not to at least give the T1-Rs a shot. I'll keep this thread updated with my experience.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The T1Rs have a little bit of tread squirm when new, but after a few hundred miles the response is noticeably improved- I expected this from reviews on other forums so it was not a big surprise. I'm pretty happy with my T1Rs after the Dragon run Sunday (especially at half the price and better cold/rain performance).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got the T1Rs mounted today. I have only driven a few miles on them, but I can tell the car rides much better than before. It doesn't crash as much over bumps and feels more refined. I haven't done much cornering with them yet, but I can tell that they feel a little squishier than the AD07s. I also understand that they are brand new and will take a little while to break in. I plan on taking it out for a longer drive on Saturday to evaluate the tires more. I will post again after that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a set of A048's on SSR Comp wheels for more spirited driving, and T1-R's for cooler, wetter driving. Plus the base wheel/tire combination gathering dust in the shop.

I am using the T1-R (205/45/16, 245/40/17) on RAC's. They make a good street tire for my uses. Based on past experience with T1-R's and F1 GD-S3's, the T1-R's are particularly sensitive to profile ratio - especially when new. But as they wear, they get better and better.

When new, the T1-R's have a generous coating of mold release (that washes off with a good citrus degreaser), and the tires feel a bit loose compared to other tires. This changes greatly with 500-100 miles.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Anyone have experience tracking with the T1-Rs? If so, how do the shoulders wear / hold up to heavy cornering?

Due to possible wet weather, I may run a track event this Sunday with T1-Rs on the car instead of AO48s.

The T1-Rs are my Exige's street shoes, so I prefer to not chew them up on the track...that is what AO48s are for!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took my T1-Rs out for their first serious run on Saturday. They performed pretty well in the twisties, although they seemed to lose grip a little sooner than the AD07s. I only have about 200 miles on them now, but I'll update this thread again when they get some more wear on them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
How are the t1-R's in the rain?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rei - Once you get the mold release off the T1-R's, they are pretty nice in the rain, but I have not pushed them hard around corners in the rain on the street. Starting and in a straight line, and breaking, they have proven to be surprizingly sticky in the rain.

I use a citrus degreaser to remove the release compound when they are first installed (I do this to all of my new tires). I have never seen a tire than has this much mold release on it from the factory. When I first had them installed, I nearly drifted out of the tire shop's drive. I got them home and scrubbed them down immediately - big difference.

Lotusmotion - I would not consider the T1-R's a great track tire for dry conditions - especially when new. It is a good tire, but there are better choices for a tire IF you want to run them occasionally on the track - although some have done this on the T1-R. If you run an aspect ratio higher than 45, you may not like this tire. Most of the complaints with the T1-R seem to be low mileage, higher aspect ratio sizes.

I seriously considered the F1 GS-D3. But I have had issues on ballance with them in the past, and some claim they do not do well on lighter cars. The T1-R is a lighter tire (my 245/40/17 is actually lighter than the A048 225/45/17), which surprized me. I don't normally trust manufacturer's weight claims.

Just my .02, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Devious, thanks. I would not typically run T1-Rs at a dry track event...I keep a set of Rota Slipstreams with A048s for track use. I asked since there is always the chance that, if I leave the T1-Rs on for a track day expecting wet conditions, I may end up running them dry if the rain gods flake out.

I considered the F1s but chose the T1-Rs due to weight and sizes closely matching factory specs for the Exige.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Same here. I'll be at Willow. If weather turns to wet conditions, I have my set of Michelin PE2s ready to go.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Everyone here seriously considered the F1 GS-D3, but chose the T1-R. I have to make the choice between these two in the next weeks. Is there someone that has the F1 GS-D3 installed and would recommend them for a daily driver Elise ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts