The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished reading a billion threads on tire pressure and all things tires after using Search and Advanced Search and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here goes...

I just had BFG R1's put on in the rears and have stock Yoko's up front. I haven't found any threads on this tire combo - is this some massive automotive sin that I don't know about? I read about different tire combos on another thread and there were mixed responses on the topic.

Question - what tire pressure to run on the R1's? Stock is 26 F, 29R so should I just go with this? I am using them for daily driving use, not track, and in a warm climate. I noticed on the other tire pressure threads (of which there is like 25) that some people run lower psi's. I didn't see any comments on R1 tire pressure, however, so is it any different for R1 or no?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :bow:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Since you did not post a size I would recomend about 2/3 of the way between what you run your A048's and what people recomend for RA-1's. 225's I would guess 34 cold, 235's 32 cold, 245's 30 cold
Good luck and post what you end up with.
Enjoy massive understeer when pushed hard.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops...size is 225/45/17.
So 34 is a big jump up from 29 - and then you compile that with a bunch of threads where people suggest going under 29. For someone like me who DD's the car it is confusing. I guess I can just try out different pressures and see what feels best too but I just don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As a general comment about tire pressures for daily drivers, I find as long as I keep it over a certain minimum pressure, it works well, and gets me better gas mileage. For autocross, I might lower it a little bit, but I'm not good enough to notice a difference. I usually go with 27F/28R.

I recently put on the bridgestone re01r's. And, I plan on going to an autocross this weekend. I'll try to see if I can notice anything about tire pressures. I think I should be able to run them with a little lower pressure, because they have such stiff sidewalls. I'll see in a couple days. :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is a GUESS but I would think 32psi would be a max
I think about 28 to 30 is about where you will want it.

Some tire mixes can work out OK, but I’m not to hip on mixing tires.
Off hand I don’t think this was a good mixes. But I’m thinking the harder tire is up front so you will end up with a bit of push (turn wheel but go straight). I also don’t see the BFG’s in a size for the front, if the push is bad enough you may end up getting all four new tires any way.

Well good luck with the new tires and be careful figuring out how that tire combo works.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts