The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the really smart people on this site, someone must know the answer to this.... a co-worker bought a new Toyota Matrix (on my recommendation.) I have a 2006 and have a second set of wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the Northern Wisconsin winters. The car is an awsome snow and ice driver with these tires. My friends new Toyota has all season radials and is almost undriveable on snow and ice. He attempted to order a set of wheels and snow tires but was told he would have to order wheels with internal pressure senders and then have them calibrated to the cars ECU. Needless to say this is very pricey and inconvenient. What happens if one mounts an older set of wheels (assuming they fit) with no senders? Does one just get an alarm message from the ECU? If so can it be disabled with a scan tool? Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I can only imagine it'd be a warning message, it'd be chaos to make it limit the car. I'm sure it could be defeated easily, but its part of the new regulation, all new cars will have it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
my Exige has the pressure alarm system

My 2008 Exige S 240 has the pressure sensors. They are built into the valve stem.

I am most interested in defeating the light in the dash as I plan on frequently changing the wheel and tire combination between events.

The manual seems to indicate the car can tell which sensor is in each wheel well. Swapping wheels around will not confuse the system and it can still indicate which wheel has low pressure.

Get ready to work some more magic, Charlie, as I am sure we are going to need it.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts