The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that there will be a start button and a tire pressure monitoring kit. Nobody seems to be mentioning these things since the show. Any new info?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
There are several pictures detailing the start button... it is located to the left of the steering wheel.

As for the tire pressure monitors, I haven't heard anything about that but maybe someone else has...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, there will be a tire pressure warning. Apparently it is a requirement, but it worked out nicely that the ABS system can serve that function.

A minor detail, but seems useful. I don't have further- it was mentioned to me in passing at the LA show whe I was there on Sunday. btw the folks were excellent and I learned a lot about the car. too many random posts going on right now to figure out where to summarize the info.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Jay said:
Yes, there will be a tire pressure warning. Apparently it is a requirement, but it worked out nicely that the ABS system can serve that function.

A minor detail, but seems useful. I don't have further- it was mentioned to me in passing at the LA show whe I was there on Sunday. btw the folks were excellent and I learned a lot about the car. too many random posts going on right now to figure out where to summarize the info.
Oh just start a new one, we can take it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
tire pressure monitor is usually associated with run-flats. maybe a
run-flat option is in the works as an
'either- or' selection?
Yeah, but after the whole Explorer/Firestone mess, there was talk of making them mandatory for all cars (sheesh). Personally, I think it's usefull when using low profile tires, as underinflation is not very apparant on those due to the very stiffer sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I could always forget about the Elise and
ask Julian Thomson what he wants for his Ferrari 246 GTS 'Dino'. The Elise does share DNA with that car and the Dino
does come with a spare!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I read somewhere that a tire pressure monitoring system is mandatory equipment for all cars in 2005. The good news is, it doesn't add much weight. Basically, if one tire starts rotating at a different rate than it had been, the computer assesses it, and decides it's a flat. Then the dash light comes on. The MINI and most BMWs already use this system. Virtually no weight to it, as it's integrated into the onboard computer.

Cade

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My mother has a Buick LeSabre with a tire monitoring system.

However it only tells you if one of the tires is rotating faster than one of the others. She never checked her tire pressure for about a year and I noticed that they looked low, all 4 tires only had 15 lbs of pressure, but the light never came on since they all were loosing air at the same rate over the year. 9000 miles and the car needed 4 new tires. The tie rods came loose last week when I was driving and then the pressure warning light comes on and all of the tires were inflated!

I think the Corvettes monitor each individual tires pressure.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That's exactly the flaw, xxxotic. The system only notifies you if there is a sudden change. There's still no substitute for careful maintenance. I have forced myself into the habit of doing a walkaround check of my car at least once daily. I look for debris in the radiator, tire inflation, any fluid leaks, and any potentially imminent equipment failures. Takes all of about 30 seconds.

Cade

·
Registered
592 Posts
A web search finds this article outlining the requirements for tire pressure monitors:
http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stories/081403/bus_081403071.shtml
I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Now there is no federal requirement for the start button and I personally do not like it. If cars normally used the start button and someone invented a key that turned to start the car, it would be viewed as clever design. Since you have to put a key in, the second step of rotating it is simple (and natural if you've been driving for years). I could see a button for cars a la MB that use a bluetooth type system. This just seems 2Fast 2Furious (or maybe I'm just 2Old.;))

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the starting system on the Caddy XLR is pretty cool. If you have the system fob keyring in your pocket, the system allows starting soley by the start button.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That's pretty sweet. I wonder if it's possible to fit it to the elise. If it doesn't weigh much, and isn't TOO expensive, I may give it a shot. It would keep me from scratching up the steering column with my keys, or having to listen to them jangle on corners. Plus it's cool. :D

Cade

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My M5 has the BMW warning system that is based on tire rotation and I can tell you it is very sensitive. The loss of 5 psi will set it off, I know I had a slow leak and got the warning. I pulled over and could not see the difference and had to check tire pressures to figure out which tire was low.
It is a good system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to add some information about TPMS. Below is the government’s final rule for TPMS (executive summary):
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/execsum.html
Basically what this says is that there has to be a system in place to detect a tires pressure and to see if it drops below 25% of the RCP (Recommended Cold Pressure) and a warning has to be shown to the driver that one or more tires are low. There is also a phase in schedule for automakers.
2004 MY- 10% of the fleet
2005 MY- 35% of the fleet
2006 MY- 65% of the fleet
2007 MY- 100% of the fleet
Since the Esprit will be gone in 2004 the only Lotus will be the Elise so this really doesn’t apply.
NHTSA is to have a TPMS meeting in February with representatives from the automotive industry to determine the final direction for the phase in schedule and to determine if only direct TPMS systems should be used. Currently the government leaves it up to the manufacturers to determine what system to use (direct vs. indirect) but it may change to only direct since the effectiveness of detecting a low tire with a direct sytem is not really good according to NHTSA’s early testing. See below:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv18/CD/Files/18ESV-000259.pdf
NHTSA is currently doing more testing with direct vs. indirect systems and these results should come up in the meeting in February.

Just wanted to add some info. I would like to know what the Elise would be getting though. Does anyone have any information if the Elise will get direct or indirect TPMS?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts