The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently using a the a048 tires with the lss wheels, but i am not using my car so much in the track anymore. maybe one or two times per year.so uselless to have them on.

so i am between the abovementioned tires. has anyone had any experiences with any of them...

by the way i am looiking into a supercharger as well...so good brakes mean a lot now !!!!the problem with a048 is i dont get the car to stop . roads here in Greece, athens wheere i leave are not in the best state....:panic::crazyeyes

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and i am not interested in rain conditions because i don;t get the car out with rain....

any ither tire recomendations are welcome as well....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Why cant you stop if the road is dry? The a048s are the stickyest tire I have ever driven on. I cant even break traction when I want to!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why cant you stop if the road is dry? The a048s are the stickyest tire I have ever driven on. I cant even break traction when I want to!
as i ve already said, our roads REALLY SUCK !!!!!
-eek-

a048 are perfect for track but i cant stop the car and ABS comes in immediately when i brake unfortunately.this is why i need new tires from september...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I hear you! I have an 05 LSS and ran the A048's on the street for 3 yrs. Just finished off original fronts (had 10000miles and still had 5/32nds tread out of original 6/32nds even with a half dozen hard track days- I'm in advanced groups always wore out rears at ~7800miles ie down to 2/32nds bars). That means that by the time you do a track day, your A048's are already half shot via heat cycling and A048's heat cycle quickly anyway. Always heat cycled out before the tread wears out unless you're some kind of enduro racer. Cost me a bent front rim at NHIS last yr as after 3 warm up laps, tires were still useless. I just bought a set of stock rims and tires (AD07's LTS) Fronts had 7/32nds left and rears had 5/32nds left. :crazyeyesWHAT A DIFFERENCE ON THE STREET!!!!!!! I've always suspected that the front A048's were essentially running cold all the time unless it got above 80 degrees outside. It is spring in CT and I routinely drive to work mornings in 40-60 degree temps. :coolnana:HUGE DIFFERENCE IN FRONT END BITE!! Much lighter steering feel. Only downside is I seem to be able to light up the inside rear tire more, but these aren't exactly new tires. Considering that at the Tire Rack the 4 tires sell for 925 and 4 stock rims must be at least 1600 ie 2500tires/wheels new, and I got the set for $1100 I now realize that Lotus did a phenomenal job setting up the base Elise for street use!!! Use whatever rims you like , but if you can get over the skinny front tires, you'll quickly realize that on the street they are AWESOME!! The light front end lets the smaller front tires contact patch be loaded more effectively. Now my aggressive track alignment really shines!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm partial to the tires I have in my sig. They're a lot like the AD07's, only wider. So, they provide more grip, and will fit on wider wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
We both agree that Dot R's suck on the street. I just understand why Lotus went with the small fronts. The front end is so light, its hard to get adequate pressure on the contact patches. Alignment is so key on these cars. The -1.6 degrees of front camber I run is awesome with these OE tires. To get this, you need to modify the plinths which is easy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think one of Jean-Paul's questions (and mine) has been answered yet.... What is the difference between a $266 "Lotus" AD07 and a $199 "regular" AD07?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't think one of Jean-Paul's questions (and mine) has been answered yet.... What is the difference between a $266 "Lotus" AD07 and a $199 "regular" AD07?
The "W" .

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was just quoted 2 different prices and don't know what the difference in tire is, can anyone help? I use my elise as a DD and don't need much in the way of extra performance as I don't get it into the canyons much, so if the difference is negligible I don't want to throw extra money at tires:

AD07 91 WOE - $357 per
AD07 91 W - $252 per

TIA!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Assuming the OE suffix above refers to "original equipment" i.e. the sidewall is stamped "LTS" for Lotus Tuned Suspension, then most (all?) have not noticed a difference.

The Lotus specific version of the tire is different and does cost more, but my last set or rears were the non LTS and the only thing I noticed is that they seemed to last longer.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you very much! Saved me $200!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts