The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read 100 posts about tires and got myself more confused than I was previously.

I need to replace all the rubber on my Exige.

I do not track the car and I am not looking to change the wheels or anything.

What tires would you suggest? I am not a particularly aggressive driver, but I do not want to cut corners on performance by putting some cheap POS on it.

Are there better tires than what the car came with?
Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area.
Kevin

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
There are much better tires for street use. Tons of threads on this and a few choices.

My personal rec is the dunlop starspecs for warmer seasons. You will need something different if you drive the car in the winter in edmonton though.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Get either the Dunlop Star Specs, Bridgestone RE-11 or Yokohama AD08.
205/45-16 in the front and 235 or 245/40-17 in the rear.

From what you describe they would all fit your driving style better than what you currently have, which I assume are the original Yokohama AO48

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I put Bridgestone G Force KDW on my Elise and LOVE them.

I went from sliding all over the place to have a nice amount of grip in the wet. I'm no longer concerned about rain.

I'm on the road so would have to check on exact sizes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

From what you describe they would all fit your driving style better than what you currently have, which I assume are the original Yokohama AO48
I just put Toyo R1R's on and love them!! 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. No rubbing and rides better than the stock tires.

In the OP it said:
"Not an aggressive driver"
"keep the standard wheels"

How does 245/40-17 and 205/45-16 fit in with that?
I thought it would be 195/50-16 and 225/45-17?

·
Registered
277 Posts
In the OP it said:
"Not an aggressive driver"
"keep the standard wheels"

How does 245/40-17 and 205/45-16 fit in with that?
I thought it would be 195/50-16 and 225/45-17?
245/40-17 - 205/45-16 fit the exige wheels, which is what it appears he has. The R1R is slightly less aggressive than the stock Exige tires, but handles better in the rain. This is a great street tire IMO. It's also a lot cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I will throw in a vote for the toyo proxes R1R tires, if for no other reason, their excellent grip in the wet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Please pardon the partial hijack. I'm looking to replace tires on my LSS Elise for aggressive street, no rain, minimal winter driving but would see temps below 32F. Would R888 heat up for street use or am I better with the Dunlop Star Specs? I have an alternative set of wheels for track use (but not a way to get them to the track - that's another story).

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Ok, I've read 100 posts about tires and got myself more confused than I was previously.
See, now after reading thru all those 100 posts and creating your own you finally have a definite answer about the one and only type of tire which fits your bill -poke-

·
Registered
277 Posts
Please pardon the partial hijack. I'm looking to replace tires on my LSS Elise for aggressive street, no rain, minimal winter driving but would see temps below 32F. Would R888 heat up for street use or am I better with the Dunlop Star Specs? I have an alternative set of wheels for track use (but not a way to get them to the track - that's another story).
unfortunately, you would need an all season tire to work below freezing. R888's have no chance at that temperature.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I just put Toyo R1R's on and love them!! 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. No rubbing and rides better than the stock tires.
Based on your stated usage case, I would suggest Toyo T1-Rs, but in the stock sizes.

+1 on the Star Specs, RE-11 and AD08, but I'd encourage you to look into the Toyos in Stock sizes. Given your intended use, I'd imagine you do not need to upsize to 205 / 235-245. This seems to me a rare case when more isn't necessarily better.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Where are you guys finding front tires in these sizes? I can't find any of the good tires like Star specs or AD08s in a 195/50-R16 or 205/45-R16

·
Registered
277 Posts
Based on your stated usage case, I would suggest Toyo T1-Rs, but in the stock sizes.

+1 on the Star Specs, RE-11 and AD08, but I'd encourage you to look into the Toyos in Stock sizes. Given your intended use, I'd imagine you do not need to upsize to 205 / 235-245. This seems to me a rare case when more isn't necessarily better.
Where are you guys finding front tires in these sizes? I can't find any of the good tires like Star specs or AD08s in a 195/50-R16 or 205/45-R16
They don't make Star specs in stock sizes. If they did, I think almost everyone would be running them. The 205/50-16 are taller than stock and have been know to rub depending on suspension setup. You can't find the RE-11 or R1Rs in stock sizes either. AD08s in stock sizes are hard to find now. They do make T1R's as Frank suggested. T1R's are 1 performance level below R1R's, or 2 levels of performance below the stock A048s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
just got an entire set of continental extreme contact dw. did not have the time to really test it to its limits, but so far i'm satisfied.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, everyone. This helps narrow things down for me.
Kev

1 - 18 of 18 Posts