The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Elise Sport with 195 50 16 on the front and 225 45 17 on the rear. The car has 7000 miles on it and has the original Yokohama ADVAN A048. They rear tires are pretty loud.
I need new tires and would like to go to something a little less track like, and quieter, without giving up anything on the handling of the car. There don't seem to be many choices in the stock sizes mostly because there are not a lot of high performance 195 50 16 tires out there. I have noticed that some folks have increased the fronts to 205 50 16 and the rears to 235 45 17.

Was wondering what others have done for replacements.

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
IMO those are opposite goals. Any more comfortable, quieter tire will sacrifice handling. I'd consider looking into the Toyo R888. Grip lasts longer into the life of the tire and I've never had any complaints on the noise. I also don't feel like the tire requires as much time to build heat into the tire. The major bonus though is that they're also cheaper. Many here have found satisfaction with this choice and it's what I always run.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
This will probably get moved to "suspension" btw, but if you check that section out then these options are discussed as nauseam. Also, for what it's worth, I run R888s.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
IMO those are opposite goals. Any more comfortable, quieter tire will sacrifice handling. I'd consider looking into the Toyo R888. Grip lasts longer into the life of the tire and I've never had any complaints on the noise. I also don't feel like the tire requires as much time to build heat into the tire. The major bonus though is that they're also cheaper. Many here have found satisfaction with this choice and it's what I always run.
That's pretty good advice. You can't keep the superior grip of the stock tires and expect to negate all the other aspects you don't like.

San

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got a few hundred miles on a set of r1r and I'm quite happy so far. I'm a novice and I'm coming off of original hardened ao47. I switched wheels to LSS size.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Tire rack just got hankook RS3s in stock last week in 205/45/16 sizes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a few hundred miles on a set of r1r and I'm quite happy so far. I'm a novice and I'm coming off of original hardened ao47. I switched wheels to LSS size.
LenMcC.........what size tires are you running?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Do you run the car on the street? Concerned about traction in rain?

I've used KDW2s on my last two Elises and like them a lot. Nice mix of performance/handling, but still not scaring the shib out of me if I get caught in rain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ended up picking up Bridgestone Potenza RE11's. Had them installed this weekend. They seemed to be the best solution for a street car that can still autocross and track.

I am looking for a separate set of wheels for the track--but first I really need to get to know the car and get a few more driver education sessions under my belt.

So far seem really good; tons of traction, quiet, very progressive. Steering feel not quite as sharp as I would like, but that may be going up to 205's since 195's are so rare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts