The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a nail in my left rear tire; probably has been there for a while, seems like a slow leak, so it's driveable. Anyone know a good tire shop (I;m in Libertyville, IL) that I could go to for the patch? I love FVMC but they are well over an hour away, and it seems unnecessary just for this.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've picked up a nail in my left rear tire; probably has been there for a while, seems like a slow leak, so it's driveable. Anyone know a good tire shop (I;m in Libertyville, IL) that I could go to for the patch? I love FVMC but they are well over an hour away, and it seems unnecessary just for this.
I know of an EXELLENT tire shop. It's KO Tire in Mt Prospect...or is it Elk Grove....it E-G [150 Seegers Ave Elk Grove Vlg]. Been to them at least a dozen times with all my cars and trucks --- they are a small, but VERY clean operation. Had my new Gdyr F1's mounted on the Lts wheels by them a few months ago --- can't say enough good things about them.

That said, it's still a bit of a hike from Libertyville.

john m.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, but you're right, that would be a good 45 minutes or more from me. I'll see if anyone has any closer ideas.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
RT will know.....she's from that area.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I have anything tire-related done at Discount Tire in Palatine. They are excellent. Not all that close to Libertyville either, but we're getting closer!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Tracy. I wonder if there's a Discount Tire near me, or do you just know the folks there. I just get nervous about someone who doesn't know the car putting it on a lift...may not have a choice, though.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
For a long time I had great service, always dealing with a guy named Josh....but then he went to their Naperville store. I was a little worried, since I really liked dealing with him.....but all the other guys I've dealt with here in Palatine have been fine also. They do have a huge glass window between the waiting area and the shop, so you an watch them work on your car. I would take a photocopy of the manual showing the jacking points and give it to them.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Just don't let them put it on a lift - to remove one wheel use the centre lift point that lifts one side of the car (below the rear of the door).

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
If Fox Lake isn't too far shoot me a PM. But I gotta believe there's a decent place around you. It's just a tire and the car only needs to be jacked from the side. (Mind the sticker) Waukeegan Tire comes to mind.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I ended up getting some recommendations from folks where I work (Kenosha), as a couple of them are in the auto business, and also have lived there forever. Went to Kenosha Tire, they were extremely careful (of course I was hovering like a mother hen rotfl), found the proper jack point, and took care of it. At least I think so--no leaks yet. :clap:

I can't remember the last time I had this happen...hope it's a long time before it happens again.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
And they torqued the wheel bolts??

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Now you have something to do.... :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the shock, but not everyone who owns an Elise is mechanically inclined, and I definitely don't qualify. It didn't occur to me that there would be a specific torque requirement; never had a car before that specified one. I've now read the manual, and see the 77 number (along with the dizzying discussion on the no-longer-included coded lugs), but I certainly don't have a torque wrench (although I at least know what one is ;)). Do I go back to the shop and demand they measure it?? I know they used a standard pneumatic gun to remove them, and assume they used it to put them back on, too. According to the manual, that's only verboten for the (non-existent for me) coded lugs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Duxler Firestone. Next door to VW / Nissan Ask for Mike. He's big in racing. A Newman Haas buddy. He'll take care of you and at a reasonable price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts