The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased new wheels from sec111 and I went to a 7" and 8" wide set up. I put Goodyear Eagle F1 on them. I went from a 225/45/17 to a 245/45/17, the tire is 25.7" tall compared to the 24.9" I had on the car. Drove it for the first time and it feels like the rear of the car is floating around when I turn as to make a lane change. It becomes very noticable the faster I go. The only thing I think it could be is the taller tire or maybe the different offset. Has anyone ran into this problem?
The tire looks awsome and fills the wheel well perfectly and the width is just right. I can not drive the car the way it is driving though.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
What's your tire pressure? The Goodyear's sidewalls are considerably less stiff than the Yokos. I have the GS-D3s myself and had to add at least 3 or 4 psi to lose most of the mushy feeling.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Have these on mine for the winter: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 F.195/45/VR16 R.235/40ZR17 I have not seen your tire problem.

I can't really drive very hard since the tires are so cold in the winter but I can't tell any difference from stock tires and I DO drive the car VERY hard all year round but not on track - 4th set of tires (first three stock Yokos) in 33,000 miles. Run standard tire pressures28&26 psi.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
my same tires came from sector111 at 45 psi!!! you might want to check that out. also, remove your camber shims ASAP. my car was very squirrely with this setup until I removed mine. made all the difference in the world.

I just purchased new wheels from sec111 and I went to a 7" and 8" wide set up. I put Goodyear Eagle F1 on them. I went from a 225/45/17 to a 245/45/17, the tire is 25.7" tall compared to the 24.9" I had on the car. Drove it for the first time and it feels like the rear of the car is floating around when I turn as to make a lane change. It becomes very noticable the faster I go. The only thing I think it could be is the taller tire or maybe the different offset. Has anyone ran into this problem?
The tire looks awsome and fills the wheel well perfectly and the width is just right. I can not drive the car the way it is driving though.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
ace - you mean me or fuqua or both? huge and floppy can be good CQ (Chuckle Quietly)
OP.
225's in the front of an elise/exige are overkill. i tried a set of A048's in MH compound 225F/235R and didn't/still don't like them at all... and that's with a much stiffer, more agressive tire.

and there were two better choices for the OP's rear's too... 235/45 or a 245/40.

it's just way too much much street tire, IMO. especially if the last set was stock sized A048. the sidewallls of the GY F1 must look like truck tires. :eek:

i don't know if that's all that's causing the handling problem, but those tires aren't helping anything.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
where does he say he went to a 225 up front? he said he went from a 225 in the rear to a 245 in the rear. I am sure he prob has 205 up front.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I have the 235/40s in the back and will say that I think that's a more appropriate sidewall height as far as handling is concerned.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
where does he say he went to a 225 up front? he said he went from a 225 in the rear to a 245 in the rear. I am sure he prob has 205 up front.
i misread.
actually there's no statement about the fronts, which makes this discussion even less meaningful. except that the OP has HUGE tires on the back of his car.

and to your point about front cambe shims making all the difference in the world... i think perhaps that's perceived, not reality, unless you had one of the odd lotus that had perhaps 5, 6 or even 7 shims per side. removing the usual 2 or 3 is not going to be world changing.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
and to your point about front cambe shims making all the difference in the world... i think perhaps that's perceived, not reality, unless you had one of the odd lotus that had perhaps 5, 6 or even 7 shims per side. removing the usual 2 or 3 is not going to be world changing.
well, it made all the difference in my world, 2 per side. I would imagine this is more pronounced when using a non stock sized setup like I am. I could not believe the difference it made. before I took them out my car tracked all over the place just driving straight down the highway. not only did that all go away but the turn in was greatly improved.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments. I do have 205's in the front. I am pretty sure my problem is the 245/45 going to a 245/40 should take of the problem as it is actually only 24.7" tall compared to the stock 24.9".

·
Registered
332 Posts
From this car compared to other sports cars I've owned, it seems that your really don't want to mess with tire-size balance. The Lotus engineers had a lot of options to work with, and came up with the two options, the wider fronts giving less understeer but also less gradual-predictability. I myself prefer the huge understeer as a compensation for gradual, linear, dial-in drift-control. I'd expect the sport tires to have better limits by a margin but the occasional rainstorm hydroplaning issue would be too much.

My strong recommendation is stick with the two sizes Lotus suggests (and the winter one they suggest if you're a year-round hardcore-ist). Your speedo is going to be off by a great margin at a 1" difference in height.

Unlike other car companies, Lotus did not go cheap on the tires.

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
i've got 245/40 AO48s, (195 front) car's got more grip and ride is a bit stiffer. I haven't taken out the camber shims from the back yet.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
OP: honestly u could probably use the factory specs 195/225 combo

A more reasonable upgrade if "need" be would be 205/235 anything else IMO might be overkill

After reading numerous posts and actually talking to a tire rep (anonymous) sticking wth the factory setting even with a .5" increase in wheel width would probably be your best bet

Just make sure the tires you purchase are rated equally in performance or better than what your car came with from the factory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts