The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how one might get more information about a tire's traction beyond just the A,B,C UTQG rating. The reason I ask is that I feel like my current car's tires lock up when braking way too easily - like I just don't have enough grip. They are Yokohamas, with an A traction rating. I will be needing new tires in the next 6 months or so, and was wondering how I could comparison shop for better than "A" traction. The car in question is just a simple passenger car (92 Honda Accord).

1,000 mile Hoosiers are out of the question.
I would like a dry/wet weather (not snow) passenger car tire that will last 20,000 miles or more.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Don't all modern (non-abs) cars lock up way to easily? I mean they all have the power to lock the wheels, and enough boost in the servo that you could probably get full braking force by flexing your little toe, right? :p

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By "lock up too easily", I didn't mean the pedal pressure. I meant that they lock up when the deceleration due to braking doesn't feel nearly as strong as I think it should. I would like grippier tires for the car, particularly since my teenage daughter will be using it as her first car after I get my Elise, and I would like shorter stopping distances and less likelihood of lock-up than I am getting now.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Tire Rack is a good source of information - you can get a lot of good info from their web site. Basically as you move up in speed rating (S to H to V to W) you get higher performance, though some tires sacrifice wet weather performance.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
ChrisH said:
... since my teenage daughter will be using it as her first car after I get my Elise, and I would like shorter stopping distances and less likelihood of lock-up than I am getting now.
I put Toyo RA-1s on my daughter's car. Racing tires with good life.

I might recommend also the Falken Azenis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tires

i've been using the yokohama AVS ES100's on my audi a4 for two years now and just love them. wet and dry traction are excellent and treadwear rating is 280. your teenaged daughter should easily get 20,000 miles out of them. plus from tire rack they are not that expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts