The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tire upsizing on stock (non-lss) rims *UPDATE: Direzzas rock!*

So I'm about to order a set of 4 tires. I'm tired of the Yoko AD07's lasting me just 10K miles until belts are showing. I'm also looking to upsize a little bit, I am running stock (touring :D ) rims, 175/55/16 front, 225/45/17 rear.

I will be buying Dunlop Direzza DZ1 Star Spec tires all around, after reading a lot of reviews they seem to be a good combination of dry grip and value on a California car that doesn't see the track or the rain, but sees plenty of streets and canyons. Anyone know how long these tires last under street use?

The proposed setup I have is 205/50/16 front, 235/45/17 rear. Any problems with this larger size? I know there must be some people running that exact combo on stock rims here on the board. Let me know if there are under/over steer issues or rubbing.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
youll have rubbing in the front!!!

and the side wall will bubble over. if you dont mind both then youll be ok.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sholdn't the smaller (50) sidewall of the front rim all but eliminate the rubbing? LSS rims/tires are 195 width and have zero rubbing issues, I don't think 10mm will make a difference

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sholdn't the smaller (50) sidewall of the front rim all but eliminate the rubbing? LSS rims/tires are 195 width and have zero rubbing issues, I don't think 10mm will make a difference
I have rub marks on the side of the chassis and wheel liner from the stock 195/50 16s...

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would highly recommend getting some wider front wheels if this is what you want to do. 205 is way too wide for a 5.5" rim. The only tires I was able to find to fit on my base wheels were Toyo T1-Rs in 185/50-16 and 225/45-17. The combination fit well and looked good, but coming from the AD07s the performance left much to be desired.

I eventually went with some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with 205/45-16 on the front and 245/40-17 on the back. There was no rubbing. I recently tried 245/45-17s on the back when they were on closeout at Tire Rack and had some rubbing.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have 205/50r16 in a street tire on LSS rims and LSS suspension (not very sticky tires) and i occasionally get rubbing on hard turns if there's alittle bump in the road or sharp turns with a little bank in them causing extra suspension compression. It is due to height only, not width.

I didn't check to confirm but on track with Toyo RA-1's (much stickier) in 205/50r15 (note that these are a good 1 inch smaller due to smaller rim size), i think i still got a little blip of rubbing every once in a while but i didn't do anything to figure out if it was on the fronts or rears. The rears on both accounts are 245/40r17 equivalent.

I think the base suspended cars are a little higher suspended so they might be less likely to rub for tire height issues with normal driving, but if the springs are softer you might be more likely to rub with taller tires in some cases becuase the suspension might compress more than LSS springs would with really sticky tires in hard cornering or in bumps? I don't know, just speculating.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If you are only getting 10K miles on your AD07s, then I recommend you get your alignment checked. I get about 15K to 18K on my fronts and about 12K on my rears with a proper alignment, and that is with about half of my miles being spirited driving on twisty roads. The alignment from the factory is often very off, particularly in toe, leading to excessive wear.

I decided to keep AD07 on the front, and have tried the Goodyear F1 on the rear (which seemed fine if you inflate them an extra 3 psi), but am about to try the Direzza DZ1 Star Spec on the rear.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had mixed tires before (AD07 up front and AD048 in the back) and it led to a very schizophrenic chassis. My car wanted to spin out at 60mph on the freeway. The rear would randomly kick out on residential streets. Not going to repeat that experience.

10K miles is what I got on the rears. The front AD07's are already at 20K miles, and only half gone.

Anyways, I ordered the DZ1 Star Spec combo today. I'll get it installed next week and report on the findings. Hoping for no rubbing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, tires are on the car. 205/50/16 front, 235/45/17 rear, stock (non-lss) rims. I must say, I was skeptical, but these Direzzas are FANTASTIC! The slightly softer sidewall makes the ride smooth as butter (ok, it's still fairly stiff, but it doesn't jar the bones like the AD07's do). The touring suspension package (non-sport) is tall enough to fit the tires with no rub in the front or the rear. I have not tracked the car yet, but taking corners hard at a high speed had no rubbing issues. But Ohhh the endless grip!!! It's like these tires couldn't let go if they wanted to.

I was supposed to drive it home (10 miles from the shop) and instead went on a 50-mile sunset drive through country roads. That's how good the tires felt. Not only do I have my baby back, she's better than she's ever been.

Auto-X-ing and track days aside, this is an amazing street tire for the Elise.
Yes, the 205 mounted on a 5.5 inch rim does produce a bit of a bulge (1/2 in inch to either side) on the front wheel. I would have gotten 195's, but that size isn't available in a 16. The 235's fit on the rear like a glove.

Overall, I am a very satisfied customer. Now let's see if they can last me more than 10K. If not, no biggie, they're half the price of the Yokohamas.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the front / rear shots

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Terculees, thanks for the post sir... 3 questions for you...

1. What Tire Pressures are you running?

2. Would it be too much to ask for a photo of the whole side of the car with a couple of perspectives?

3. Why did you purchase a 205/50 16 instead of the 195/50 16?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
No rubbing with the 205 on that wheel/offset? I'll bet you find out soon enough. I thought my 195's on the stock rims were pushing the envelope as its the max recommended tire size. Just don't think about lowering the car or your liners are definitely toast!

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
So I'm about to order a set of 4 tires. I'm tired of the Yoko AD07's lasting me just 10K miles until belts are showing. I'm also looking to upsize a little bit, I am running stock (touring :D ) rims, 175/55/16 front, 225/45/17 rear.

I will be buying Dunlop Direzza DZ1 Star Spec tires all around, after reading a lot of reviews they seem to be a good combination of dry grip and value on a California car that doesn't see the track or the rain, but sees plenty of streets and canyons. Anyone know how long these tires last under street use?

The proposed setup I have is 205/50/16 front, 235/45/17 rear. Any problems with this larger size? I know there must be some people running that exact combo on stock rims here on the board. Let me know if there are under/over steer issues or rubbing.

Thanks for the input.

The 175 width front wheel's will be screaming for mercy around corners as they fight to hold on to that larger tire. Also, the tires will look balloonish.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Definite case of more is not better! Be careful! and definitely don't ever run underinflated!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm also interested in running 205 50-16 tires on my base rims, so I've been following the postings here. I have also been putting together a few facts. According to the specs for a few tires on Tire Rack's website, including the Dirrezza, the approved rim width range for a 205 50-16 tire is 5.5 to 7.5 in. So as far as the tire manufacturers are concerned, this tire size is ok on the base Elise front rims. Both the base and LSS wheels have the same offset (ET31), so the tire will be in the same position in the wheel well with either wheel. The narrower base wheel ( 5.5 in vs 6.5) will pull the sidewalls inwards slighty, so with the base wheels, there might acutally be more clearance than with the LSS wheels when the tire is not seeing a side load. On the other hand, when cornering the tire may deflect more with a 5.5 in rim, so the clearance while driving might actually be less than with the LSS wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Negatives
1. tire deflection
2. Steering input
3. Why do it, looks?? Tires perform, they're all black (most of them), more is not always better.
4. More unsprung weight the biggest enemy of all!!!!

I could be wrong but I think that Dunlop is the only tire I've seen that is allowed to fit on a 5.5 inch wheel. Maybe it was the guys running 205/45r16 Hoosiers on base wheels that we were most concerned about cuz that fitment looked scary. Anyway enjoy but its not necessary for traction on the street

·
Registered
180 Posts
205 50-16 tires are ok for 5.5 rims -- based on checking tires from Dunlop, BFG, and Michelin. 205 45-16 tires requied wider (6in ?) rims. I'm guessing that this is because of the sidewall is shorter and stiffer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Seriously considering these for street use on non- LSD rims.

To those that are running them, any issues at all?

Someone mentioned there is a 195 available for the front. Has anyone tried this setup?

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seriously considering these for street use on non- LSD rims.

To those that are running them, any issues at all?

Someone mentioned there is a 195 available for the front. Has anyone tried this setup?

I appreciate the help.
Like you I am researching this, but I noticed the 195 is NOT the Star Spec. It is the DZ101.

205 50 16 is the closest offering for the Star Spec.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts