The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I've searched all related threads and could not find the Wear Factor ratings for either the stock tires or the A048's.

Can someone who has this data please post it?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
A048s are rated at 60.

I now have over 2700 miles on mine, some of that going sideways :) and they look like less than 25% worn. I will take a pic of the tread tomorrow.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
A048: UTQG Treadwear 60 Traction AA Temperature A
AD07: UTQG Treadwear 180 Traction AA Temperature A

Seems the lightweight Elise does not burn through tires as fast as the treadwear rating may suggest. I think Randy's A048s are still in good shape even after a Xcountry blast.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Randy and Shinoo, I was caught off guard with the 60 rating on the A048's. That is an extremely low rating and was concerned about having to replace tires too often.

Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
649 Posts
That's a very low rating for street legal tires. However, it still sounds like the Elise could wrangle out 10,000 miles including spirited driving at times, so that works for me!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Randy Chase said:
A048s are rated at 60.

I now have over 2700 miles on mine, some of that going sideways :) and they look like less than 25% worn. I will take a pic of the tread tomorrow.
That's great news about the tirewear. I was expecting a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The car's light weight helps with the tire wear.

I think 10,000 miles on a set of 48's will be the limit in warm areas, less in cool climates.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an FYI...

Although the tread wear indication appears minimal, tires can wear out due to excessive heat cycles. When tires are driven hard, they heat up and then cool down (Steve Miller wrote a song about that). When they cool down, a process called outgassing occurs. Outgassing is when part of the rubber on the tire crytalizes when cooling down (heat cycle). Tires will only have so many heat cycles available before they degrade in performance. This is true even if there's plenty of tread still available. That is why tire warmers are applied to tires as soon as a car will pit for more than a certain amount of time at the track. Tire surface temperatures are taken to ensure the temperature doesn't drop below a certain figure. When the temperature drops to a certain number the tire warmers are applied, thus preventing more than one heat cycle for the day.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Good news on tires. So what is the expected life of the standard (non-LSS) tires? I have 2400 miles on them, with an autoX, and they still look practically brand new.

·
Registered
114 Posts
More info for a great thread

I read on the Yoko supplied tire info. on 'tire rack' that the LSS tires are "inside out" rotatable. That will really help stretch what is sounding like a extremely reasonable wear life. I feared much, much worse.

Gotta love the flyweight division advantages!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Bobby, I thought the tire warmers was just to keep the tire at optimal operating temperature. When race tires are cool, they don't grip as well. That's why you see race cars driving in big esses down the straights during caution periods.

I don't think that tires can get enough heat cycles to harden in a single race, so unless the tires are being used for multiple races or practice sessions, I don't think that's the reason for the tire warmers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Johnny,

There are 2 reasons for using tire warmers at the track.

1 - The pre-heated tires allows for more confidence on your first few laps.

2 - Tire warmers prevent your tires from getting cold and using up a heat cycle.

At the race track, we install the tire warmers just as soon as we pit. All of the racers do this. This will extend your tire life incredibly.

Once a tire cools down, tread degardation occurs. Best to keep this at just one occurance for the day.

Bobby

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MY tires

This a rear at 2800 miles, some of it sideways.

Fronts have tread grooves at .17" deep.

Rears are .15" deep with the tread bars at .10" deep.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts