The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to replace my rear A048s. No one locally carries them so they order them from TireRack and then install them on my car.

Yesterday I was informed that TireRack has the LTS compound A048s in their Nevada distribution center BUT they are under contract to hold those tires only for Lotus Dealers and they will NOT sell them to anyone else -- individual or tire center.

I confirmed this with TireRack and they said they would be happy to "back order" them for me.

I ordered RE01-Rs instead. :(

Last I checked with my "local" dealer they wanted over $350 for the rear A048s. TireRack price is $252. Does anyone really buy their tires from a dealership when there are much less expensive options available? Well I guess in this situation they aren't really "available," are they?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Last I checked with my "local" dealer they wanted over $350 for the rear A048s. TireRack price is $252. Does anyone really buy their tires from a dealership when there are much less expensive options available? Well I guess in this situation they aren't really "available," are they?
I have 4 vehicles and have put new tires on all of them in the past year. I purchased from Tirerack for each one and had them shipped direct to my house, the dealer or a tire shoppe with no trouble. Sometimes because of price, but often the tire shoppes don't have the tire I want in stock and it's the easiest way to get exactly what I need. To your question, no, I don't buy mine from the dealership and expect I never will.

I wonder if the 'hold' applies to just the NV distribution center or all of them. It wouldn't shock me that there's a higher demand (and hence shortage) for those tires in that part of the country.

·
Registered
856 Posts
RoadDad,

Aren't you in MD or VA? if so, try Radial Tire in Silver Spring MD. They ALWAYS have them in stock, and if not they can usually get them VERY quickly.

Radial Tire is located at:

9101 Brookville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Map and Directions

Phone: 301-585-2740
Fax: 301-585-1398

·
Registered
992 Posts
RoadDad,

Aren't you in MD or VA? if so, try Radial Tire in Silver Spring MD. They ALWAYS have them in stock, and if not they can usually get them VERY quickly.

9101 Brookville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Map and Directions

u beat me to it! thats what i was about to respond as well. i just got tires there myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a full set of 048 LTS's shipped to my house by tire rack in April. I have never had a problem getting them. I hope this is a temporary problem.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
This is not uncommon for them to allocate only to OE dealers depending on supply levels, Lotus or otherwise. It's happened at least twice in the past 3 years I can remember, and usually during summer when the inventory is lower and track season is in gear up north. Unless you need them right away, wait a few weeks or so and they'll be available to the public again at TireRack.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'm missing something here. Lotus obviously buys these tires direct. Like any other part shouldn't they be stocked at their American distribution point? It's one of only a handful of parts that are absolutely gauranteed to need to be replaced. Why would Lotus want to pay a middleman?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if the 'hold' applies to just the NV distribution center or all of them. It wouldn't shock me that there's a higher demand (and hence shortage) for those tires in that part of the country.
The Nevada center is the only one with them in stock.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless you need them right away, wait a few weeks or so and they'll be available to the public again at TireRack.
I've been dealing with this for a few weeks and unfortunately do need the tires put on my car before this thursday. So this time I'm in a bit of a bind.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RoadDad,

9101 Brookville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Map and Directions

Thanks. I'll try them next time. They were unable to help me currently. They suggested changing all four to the Toyo R1Rs.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm missing something here. Lotus obviously buys these tires direct. Like any other part shouldn't they be stocked at their American distribution point? It's one of only a handful of parts that are absolutely gauranteed to need to be replaced. Why would Lotus want to pay a middleman?
Didn't make sense to me either but like Dave pointed out it apparently happens with other marques as well. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
This is happening with Porsche right now as well with the PS2s. Most dealers will honor tirerack's price if you ask, or get very close to it. I never realized how far reaching the trierack's presence was until I was doing a site tour of a hotel and heard a little of a goodyear dealer's convention. They refer to tirerack's catalog as the bible and purchase everything they don't produce from them. Apparently this is the way the industry has started to operate because of TR's dominance.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to order some from TireRack and the only one without a back order is indeed Nevada. It's also more expensive to ship from there.

Tire Rack heat cycles the tires for you? Is that good for the A048s?
I was willing to pay much more for shipping from Nevada. They just wouldn't send them to me or my tire store as we are not dealers.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Does anyone really buy their tires from a dealership when there are much less expensive options available? Well I guess in this situation they aren't really "available," are they?
I buy mine from the dealer, but my dealer has them for $275. It's a few bucks cheaper through Tire Rack, but the hassle saved by just going to the dealer is worth the $20 or so. Not only that, but the dealer is really good with the balance & you know they torque everything down correctly.

FWIW, Discount/America's Tire will sell you a road hazard warranty for these tires, even if you don't have them install the tires.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I was willing to pay much more for shipping from Nevada. They just wouldn't send them to me or my tire store as we are not dealers.
Call Performance Buyers Club in Chantilly VA. They deal with Tire Rack as a distributor and may be able to get them for you.

Ask to speak with Pete and explain your issue.

performancebuyers.com
Phone:
703-818-9840
703-818-7383

Fax:
703-818-9559

Email:
[email protected]

Chantilly, VA 20151
Map and Directions

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I buy mine from the dealer, but my dealer has them for $275. It's a few bucks cheaper through Tire Rack, but the hassle saved by just going to the dealer is worth the $20 or so. Not only that, but the dealer is really good with the balance & you know they torque everything down correctly.

FWIW, Discount/America's Tire will sell you a road hazard warranty for these tires, even if you don't have them install the tires.
My closest dealer is a bit over 150miles away so doesn't really work well for me.

The chance of me taking advantage of a road hazard warranty before cording the tires is less than me waking up with a full head of hair in the morning (my kids will appreciate the impossibility there). :D

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Call Performance Buyers Club in Chantilly VA. They deal with Tire Rack as a distributor and may be able to get them for you.

Ask to speak with Pete and explain your issue.

performancebuyers.com
Phone:
703-818-9840
703-818-7383

Fax:
703-818-9559

Email:
[email protected]

Chantilly, VA 20151
Map and Directions
Thanks again. It has gotten to the point where I need these tires installed tomorrow and the overnight shipping is outrageous. I've got the RE01-Rs coming in tomorrow and I think I will settle with them for now.

I just thought it was strange how TR was holding tires back from "willing to give you my money now" customers. I guess they've just gotten too big.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts