The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of info (some of it outdated) in last year's Tires, 2021 Topic, So I figured that I'd start this year's discussions.

I'll start by including a link to @71type65 s recent purchase in the old topic.

Here's a link to the last few months of the 2021 discussion in case that info is pertinent.

@gmendoza @stradale2004 @lawdog91SE

Anyone else researching this year's availability? Remember to include the wheel specs (and model) you are looking for!

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
190 Posts
For my 86 Esprit, stock wheels, I still haven’t seen matching in a good speed rating. Periodically I poke a vintage tire seller in the UK. Their response today:

The 235/60x15 Pirelli P600 is now available @ £299.00 each + vat 235/60 WR 15 Pirelli P600 , however the in the 195/60x15 we can now only offer the Michelin Pilot Primacy 3 @ £103.00 each + vat195/60 VR 15 Michelin Pilot Primacy 3

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Oh ya up here in Canada we get raped on stuff and taxes you might as well take 50% of our wage and thats take home. I got a discount from my company i work for aswell so I paid $500 per tire.
Gaaa!#@!?& 😬

Don't mean to rub it in, but I paid less than that for all 4 of these on Amazon. 😯
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Wanted directional/symmetric tread pattern (personal preference over asymmetric), all-season, and stock V8 sizes (235/40-17 front, 285/35-18 rear). There was no single brand I found that met all these parameters so I went with the mix. Off brand yes, but so far they seem to perform quite nicely all around, no negative comparisons with the Bridgestones they replaced. Plus I have some major routine service coming up so it was a good time to economize.

Reactions: Twinturbo01

·
Registered
2001 silver lotus esprit
228 Posts
Ya i hear ya I used to order my tires from dicount tire direct from the states and get them shipped up to alberta and it was cheaper for awhile but they put a tarriff fee on them now big time so i stopped buying them it was just the same price from kaltire up here now.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was cheaper for awhile but they put a tariff fee on them
Always pays to shop, and include ALL costs.

When we bought tires last, Discount Tire found the matched set of tires in the sizes I wanted (that matched the overall circumference of the OE sizes).

Our local tire store couldn't find the tires through their sources.

·
Registered
S4s, M3 LTW, 944 turbo
26 Posts
Someone posted on facebook that the V8 sized Nitto NT05s are being d/c and what's left is all there is so I quickly ordered a set (from Discount Tire Direct) in stock v8 sizing (the website said 3 sets in stock at the time however it became a special order, website says 1 set as of right now), per their emails they have shipped to their distribution center which is a good sign - fingers crossed. Saved $110 during a flash sale so they were $889 shipped. I have NT05s on my 944 turbo already and love them, great tire for summer use.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
NT05's on an Esprit are incredible. The dry road responsiveness lets the crisp and precise handling show to best effect, and side by side driving with a "regular tire" Esprit (which I was fortunate to experience) makes the difference obvious. I have heard they can be tricky in the wet. If I was going for summer tires these would be at the top of the list. Sorry to hear they are becoming less available, since they are on my "maybe someday" agenda. Enjoy!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have NT05s on the front of my Esprit and they stick the front of the car on the road like glue. I got stuck in a rain storm and they worked pretty well but of course I took it easy.
If they are to be discontinued what's the next best tire?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If [NT05s] are to be discontinued what's the next best tire?
You need to ask when you are ready to buy.

When we purchased our 18" wheels, I could have had a choice of THREE different manufacturers for replacement tires (I checked). When I was ready to purchase a year later, the selection was down to ONE. o_O

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had Nitto NT05's on my 2002 Esprit. Wet - Tricky may be an understatement. I had to slow down to around 50 mph in the rain to keep from hydroplaning. Just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Since I currently do not plan to track my car, I just want an enjoyable driving and weekend tire. I think these will be perfect.

·
Registered
2014 Evora S 2+2 IPS
189 Posts
Tire Rack supposedly has in stock Vredestein - SPRINT 215/50R15. This is the seldom found front wheel tire size for the 1991 Esprit, correct? Anyone see an issue of putting these on the front of an Esprit?

Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 88W
UTQG: 320 AA A

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please post in Tires, 2022

·
Registered
2014 Evora S 2+2 IPS
189 Posts
Tire Rack supposedly has in stock Vredestein - SPRINT 215/50R15. This is the seldom found front wheel tire size for the 1991 Esprit, correct? Anyone see an issue of putting these on the front of an Esprit?

Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 88W
UTQG: 320 AA A

·
Registered
2014 Evora S 2+2 IPS
189 Posts
Posted to tires 2022. Can a mod delete this post? I see no way of doing so or moving it for that matter. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Because of the limited quantities of all kinds of stuff, make sure if you get a set of tires ALL the date codes are the same or at least close. To put a set together they may throw in a tire or two with old date codes. No point in paying a lot of money for a tire that is half-way aged out. Most of us will age out a set of tires before wearing them out.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 20 of 30 Posts