The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Evora S 2+2 IPS
189 Posts
I’d love to go to
On my 98 SE V8 I went with Sumitomo HTR Z5's from Tire Rack. One size wider in the front at 245/40ZR17 and 285/35/ZR18 in the rear. decently rated tire and was only $750 shipped

I’d love to put larger wheels on to change the cars stance and have more tire choices…but this car does not power steering and I worry about negatively changing the responsiveness.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
this car does not power steering and I worry about negatively changing the responsiveness.
The effort will be higher during parking maneuvers, but as long as you roll the car when turning the wheel, its acceptable.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here are some recent tire suggestions from Tony K, a well-respected MULTIPLE Esprit owner, from Ohio, USA:

"In the US, I went with the Ohtsu FP7000, 195/60 front, 225/60 rear, simply because that is the only "performance" tire (not touring, grand touring, etc.) offered in the US that is H-rated for both front and rear (I know, should be V, but the other options had S or T ratings).
Ohtsu is a subsidiary of Falken, marketed as an affordable line (as if Falken themselves aren't?) and these tires bear more than a passing resemblance to previous generations of Falken Ziex / ZE tires. I haven't installed them yet; they've been sitting in my garage since fall. They remind me of the ZE 512, and whatever its successor was."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got a set of 4 new Michelin's for my 1997 Esprit. Rears were easy to source, but ended up getting fronts that were 10mm wider than spec as the OEM size was nearly impossible to find. Got them at a local tire chain here in Michigan, Belle Tire, and it cost about $1300 for the set of 4 mounted. The old tires looked like new, but were over 13 years old, so in the dumpster they went :cry:.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Because of the limited quantities of all kinds of stuff, make sure if you get a set of tires ALL the date codes are the same or at least close. To put a set together they may throw in a tire or two with old date codes. No point in paying a lot of money for a tire that is half-way aged out. Most of us will age out a set of tires before wearing them out.
David Teitelbaum
Good advice! I know I got a set of Corvette Z06 Michelins that were nearly 1 year apart from fronts to rears. Luckily the dealer replaced the older ones with fresh new ones at no charge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 88 Esprit is fitted with S4 17" rims as opposed to the OEM 15". I'm currently running 205/45 on the front, 235/45 on the rear (put on by previous owner.

I saw on Lotus Esprit World, in two points of reference, links below), that the S4 17" rims generally have 215/40 on the fronts and 245/45 on the rear.

I'm guessing this was largely due to tire size availability at the time (rears are approaching 10 years old, fronts are 4 years old). Looking around today, there seem to be plenty of options with the current sizes or the ones mentioned on LEW (based in US).

Plenty of tread on the tires, but looking to replace due to age, and thought I'd confirm sizes. I was wondering why the previous owner went with identical aspect ratio, and 10mm less width. Are these differences splitting hairs? I'm thinking I should go with what was specified as standard, as stated on LEW.

Thanks

Eric

Lotus Esprit World references

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’d love to go to

I’d love to put larger wheels on to change the cars stance and have more tire choices…but this car does not power steering and I worry about negatively changing the responsiveness.
There are tons of choices in this size. No issues with fitment on a stock setup with no spacers? Has anyone tried the Hankook RS4s? I know those are highly rated by a lot of people.

·
Registered
2001 silver lotus esprit
228 Posts
I would love a set of michelins on front and back but couldnt find my size. I put continental on rears again and i got a mismatched set of a gt radial and one continental on front kinda drives me nuts. tried to find fronts all continental but they dont make them anymore in a 17" which sucks. im running spacers on front and back so nice and wide and looks great cause the tires are even with the flares.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

·
4,415 Posts
My 88 Esprit is fitted with S4 17" rims as opposed to the OEM 15". I'm currently running 205/45 on the front, 235/45 on the rear (put on by previous owner.
[snip]

Plenty of tread on the tires, but looking to replace due to age, and thought I'd confirm sizes. I was wondering why the previous owner went with identical aspect ratio, and 10mm less width. Are these differences splitting hairs? I'm thinking I should go with what was specified as standard, as stated on LEW.
[snip]
I ran S4 OZ Futuras on my late 88 Esprit Turbo (the 17x7 and 17x8.5 USA S4 wheels) - circa 2013 - Dunlop DZ101 205/45-17 and 245/45-17 front/rear

On my 87 Turbo Esprit, when I was running Fikse 17x7 and 17x8.5 FM10 3 piece wheels - 2016 -2020 Dunlop DZ102 205/45-17 and 245/45-17 front/rear

Keep ET OEM as much as possible (Fikse rear was ET -25.5 not -20) and 10mm wider front and rear.

Wanted to keep as close to OEM as possible to reduce image that change in ET or tire width would have on handling.

Can't control the tire composition or profile, but can control other aspects of suspension.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts