The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autocrossed my daily driver 05 mini cooper s and I noticed a build up on my rear RE71R. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It was warm day, I'd say about 65 at the most. Front tires looked normal. Rear tires are older than the front if it matters? I didn't race my lotus because I need to get an alignment done and that's scheduled in two weeks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
That looks like you picked up “marbles” on the track. If you don’t know, marbles are chunks of rubber that is shed off the tires as you corner and then left on the track, in most cases off the racing line. If you go off the racing line with hot tires, the tires can look like yours.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
OPR... other people's rubber.
Usually a problem on concrete or other grippy surface.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Are there black streaks of rubber on the car? Or does that only happen when following a car with race tires that are throwing off marbles?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Normal. That's what modern "street" tires do. It's just a result of a really sticky tire. I've been auto-xing for about 17 years and you used to see this only on race tires. Since the RE71R and the new BFGs, you see it pretty often.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Autocrossing 14 years. OPR is right diagnosis. You will also occasionally see the Bridgestones get feathered edges on a hot day where the course setup has lots of turning, forcing the tires to really work hard. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Faster way to clean

It'll go away on its own if you street drive it.
Or if it annoys you that much, get a heat gun + one of those stainless steel scrapers from home improvement stores and go to town with it.
If you have it available, there is a faster way to clean those tires and you will never do it the old way again!!

If you have a buddy with a truck or the like. Fill two large coolers with water, go to a flat vacant parking lot and try to pour into a large puddle. then drive said car with sticky tires in a circle through the water, round and round. Usually 6-8 circles at moderate speeds each direction will do the trick. You are essentially wet sanding your tires clean! EASY

Even easier if it rained and you can carefully drive the car to same vacant area by yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts