The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elise came with the touring package, and had Yokohama tires. I'm about to change all 4 tires. any suggestions? i do not track the car but I'm going through the rear tires much more quickly than I had hoped. any other suggestions for less expensive, longer lasting tires?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have not read all the way through the uberpost, but can tell you this... The tires you pick can and will make a HUGE difference on how your Elise rides and handles. I went with the 'I rarely track my car, love twisties on back roads, but still DD my ride, so lets go with a higher mileage tire that will last longer' approach :no:. Well I did get cheaper tires that will last longer but that is about it. It greatly impacted how the Elise digs through corners and I actually did a burn out with a quick start down an interstate ramp :eek: The Yoko's would of grabbed and shot off the line like a rocket.

So long story longer :p you get what you pay for. Now I'm planning on buying another set of rubber to go on the Elise and these will probably end up as garage decor.

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
a bit too little info.

Which yokes does car have?

How do you use your car? AutoX, track days?

No idea where you live. Is rain a factor? Snow?

Most casual drivers get into trouble in rainy conditions. For those people, I recommend a good rain tire.

Moreover, you can imagine how many times this has been covered here. Do a search.

You can use Google:

enter site:Lotustalk.com, then the terms you want to see.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just put a pair of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs on the rear of my car and I would strongly advise against them. I heard on here they were a good tire to get a few more miles out of (200 tread wear rating) but the car is borderline unusable. With 29psi in the rears (what they filled them to when they mounted them) I couldn't take it on the highway because it wanted to swerve all over and dart off the road. I've never been so scared driving a car in my life. Now I'm down to 24psi and it's at least drivable but it handles like a Buick. I've had them a week and already I can't wait till they are worn out. Never have I been so displeased with a tire.

I have the Yoko Advan's on the front and some people said maybe my car feels so bad because they are not the same tire, but I've never had matched tires on the car. The Star Spec is just not the tire for our car I think...

I'm going back to what I had previously once these wear out, which was the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. Twice the price and they wear out faster but at least I can use the car and not feel terrified.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had them a week and already I can't wait till they are worn out. Never have I been so displeased with a tire.
Interesting. I'm about to replace rears and was leaning towards Star Specs from all the positive feedback. Did you realign your car after changing from the r-comps to the star specs? Do you track your car at all? Would it be a case of "I'm just used to the sticky r-comps and the star specs feel icy"?

I appreciate any additional info!

·
Registered
280 Posts
The best way I can describe it is if you toed the rear way out, but it's more than that. The car tips, like the rear sway bar is disconnected and a massive gust of wind is blowing all the time, both directions, very randomly. You know how the car always likes to follow imperfections in the road surface? Well it still does that which isn't bad at all since the car was aligned for autoX/street, but now when it does that, it takes a half a second and the back follows but by then the car is already pointed into the other lane. It is really scarey and I don't want to sound like a whiner. I've driven many things in all types of weather/conditions and it is very bad. I had my brothers drive the car, one of which co-drives it autoX'ing and he said it was terrifying until I flattened them out, down to 23psi. With any kind of luck they're so flat they will wear out faster.

On my way home I thought they never torqued the wheels so I pulled over and checked. Then I got home and retorqued them and of course they were fine. I then lowered the air pressure and it sort-of helped. So over the course of the first week, 1000mile road trip, I am down to 23psi cold, and on these hot summer days after I hit the highway for 10 minutes or so and the temps come up, so do the pressures and the car starts wandering all over the place still. I think I need 23psi hot, but I'm afraid to drive around town with 19-20psi in my rear tires! I actually had to check to make sure they were mounted the correct direction.

I may try the Hankook's next summer. Lord knows these wont make it through this summer the rate I'm driving it!

Also, I tried the car at the limit with these tires. The car pushes about the same it normally does (its generally neutral with my fat slicks so of course the little 175's up front give up eventually on the road). The problem is, it takes forever for the car to set. Anyone that has ever driven a Miata will know what I'm feeling. The car rolls then sets like a MX-5, but doesn't point like it used to. Luckily I don't need them for racing lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Without any other changes to the car, load in the car, air temperature, or anything else, the car went from perfect to handling like a bag of crap in 30 minutes. The only thing to blame is the tires. I checked everything else and I am still trying to say it isn't the tires because so many people have had good luck. Nevertheless it is what it is.

If someones car was fine and only one variable (tires) changed its handling, someone has bad tires.

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
I just put a pair of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs on the rear

I have the Yoko Advan's on the front and some people said maybe my car feels so bad because they are not the same tire
Yup. That's it. I like the Star Specs just fine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Without any other changes to the car, load in the car, air temperature, or anything else, the car went from perfect to handling like a bag of crap in 30 minutes. The only thing to blame is the tires. I checked everything else and I am still trying to say it isn't the tires because so many people have had good luck. Nevertheless it is what it is.

If someones car was fine and only one variable (tires) changed its handling, someone has bad tires.
the ad07 has a treadwear rating of 180. compared to the 200's you are having issues with.

I am on dz101 300 treadwear tires, and the last thing I would say is "handling like a bag of crap." and most trackies would probably laugh histerically at the notion of tracking the gold standard of handling on 300TW UHP's, and before you laugh, I am working on a fix to that atm.

My guess is you are coming from a stickier tire and stickier at that psi.

I have my dz 101's at 19f, 20r cold, but put relatively few street miles on them.

Look at vincent chao's (vanzong) buttonwillow youtube videos, he has run star specs. They are a pretty dang fast tire.

·
Registered
708 Posts

Interesting

Have you had the car aligned following the tire change? I've set my own cars up for autocross and don't typically ever use that kind of alignment for the street. I believe what you experienced, but I would expect that with a neutral street alignment (small camber, zero toe both ends), the car would behave far better on the street. I''ve only had star specs on the Elise, so don't know what my car does on other tires yet.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No way star specs make the car handle like crap. Those tires have been proven time and time again. I have them on my own car and have nothing but good things to say.

I would check your alignment. And also realize new tires come with a coating on them which helps them stay fresh, so to speak, as they sit on the shelf waiting to go on a car. That coating does make the steering feel pretty vague for a while, but it pretty much wears off after a few hundred miles.

Did you put star specs on the base wheels or LSS wheels?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I should say that the end result is the same if not more grip than my old worn out AD07's. So I can see how the tire performs fine on a track where, at the end of the day it all comes down to grip. However, the quick transitions are awful and the wandering is almost unbearable. The tires stick great on an on-ramp or some other steady state turn, but the transient part of the turn getting to the steady state is completely different. Either the tread is deforming or the sidewalls of the two tires (front/rear) are very different such that there is a noticeable difference in front/rear roll rates. I assume if I put the same tire on the front it will increase the front roll rate similarly and the car will at least drive like a normal car again perhaps with different dynamics than with the AD07's though. The car does ride differently, more "bouncy" like it is under damped now. My guess is because the tire pressure is ~5psi lower.

Anyway, I haven't had my car aligned since the new tires because it isn't a radical alignment to begin with and it was just done a couple weeks ago. Zero front toe, stock caster (3deg), no front camber shims (~-1.5deg), stock rear camber (~2deg), and a touch of rear toe in (.1deg/side) to help it point.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I just put a pair of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs on the rear of my car and I would strongly advise against them. I heard on here they were a good tire to get a few more miles out of (200 tread wear rating) but the car is borderline unusable. With 29psi in the rears (what they filled them to when they mounted them) I couldn't take it on the highway because it wanted to swerve all over and dart off the road. I've never been so scared driving a car in my life.

I have the Yoko Advan's on the front and some people said maybe my car feels so bad because they are not the same tire, but I've never had matched tires on the car. The Star Spec is just not the tire for our car I think...

I'm going back to what I had previously once these wear out, which was the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. Twice the price and they wear out faster but at least I can use the car and not feel terrified.
You need to get your car aligned WITHOUT QUESTION!!! The only reason why your car would be that squirmy is if the alignment was WAY out of whack. And the reason why you are feeling it now and not with the Yokos, is possibly because the Star Specs are actually gripping MUCH better over the Yokos.

But that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
FWIW my car doesn't wander at all (it does follow road imperfections, but that's something else) and I would say transitions feel better than steady state... very predictable. This is on LSS wheels/suspension

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My Elise came with the touring package, and had Yokohama tires. I'm about to change all 4 tires. any suggestions? i do not track the car but I'm going through the rear tires much more quickly than I had hoped. any other suggestions for less expensive, longer lasting tires?
My 2 cents on tires, as I still really love my combination, and if you are able to let go of the fact they are not the same pattern in front and rear, then you will get MANY miles out of them.

I run a 205/50/16 star spec in the front. This gives the front end a little more bite, and the front does not wear through tires NEARLY as fast as the rears. I have approximately 23k miles on the front star specs on my car, and 6 autocross days, and they still look great in terms of wear.

For the rears, I run 235/45/17 BFgoodrich Gforce T/A KDW 2s. These tires last a VERY long time, considering how much abuse they have gone through as well. I have autocrossed 4 days on these, as well as had A LOT of good enjoyment in terms of everyday driving fun, and they still look GREAT!!! I have approximately 15k on these, and I am at maybe 75% of their life with some really good pushing done to them. They are still really great at traction and sure they can be a little noisy as they get to the end of their life, but, how quiet are our cars really?

The tires look amazing, and I am not looking at needing new tires for quite a few years to come. So that is my 2 cents.

But if you all you are doing is enjoying the ride/drive and not really pushing the car, then you can get away with any tire that is large rubber blocky designed tread (examples: Hankook Ventus R-S3 or Star Specs) with a treadwear rating of about 240 or less. I can say that safely without hesitation. But I would put a 200 treadwear rated tire in the front and a 300 treadwear rating in the rear and call it good.

Just to give you an idea, I can still take a 30mph off ramp at 90mph...I have a great one that transitions from one freeway to the next highway on my way to work everyday, and the car just STICKS.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
There is tons of data that supports the star specs are fantastic tires. There is quantitative data from grassroots motorsports as well as autocross ST data, along with countless positive review.

Maybe they arnt your favorite tire, but they are certainly not responsible for terrible handling.

personally I think they are the most well rounded UHP street tires to date and I have tried quite a few tires in the category, at least a dozen sets that I can think of.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts