The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to replace the tires on my LSS Wheels. I want the best street tires possible and while the car may see some rare cold temps in MD if the winter itch to drive hits me I will not drive in rain or severe cold.

My choices are:

1. Replace with stock R-Compound Tires (195/50/16 and 225/45/17). my concern is the R888/A048 is too much tire for the street and I would actually have more grip with an "extreme performance" tire rather than a "competition" tire.

2. Replace with Star Spec in Wider and Taller sizes (205/50/16 and 235/45/17) which increases width by 10mm front and rear and height increases by 5mm front and 4.5mm rear.

3a. Replace with Toyo R1R in Wider and Lower sizes (205/45/16 and 235/40/17) which increases width by 10mm front and rear and height decreases by 5.25mm front and 7.25mm rear.

3b. Same as (3a) but go with 245/40/17 rear tire which would increase width by 20mm vs. 10mm front but ride height decrease is more consistent at -5.25mm front and -3.25mm rear.

--

My reaction is #1 is the best for driving dynamics, looks, etc. but isn't the best for maximizing street traction. Next choice is 3a followed by 3b followed by 2.

Thoughts, advice, comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
831 Posts
Depends what you really want. Here's my experience--

For driving dynamics on the street, every 10mm of width on the front robs you of a bit of steering feel. I run both the 175mm Advans and the 195mm Yokos on LSS wheels, and there is no doubt that the narrower wheels feel better in everyday driving. When I first got my car, the original owner stuck 205's on the front. The car felt like crap. The stock Advans and the LSS wheels/tires are really fantastically matched to the car's dynamics.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lotus got the call right when it chose the tire sizes it did. The larger diameter tires on the LSS setup are fine if you're doing a HP weekend, but are really a bit of a compromise for daily driving on the street. The grip even with the stock tires narrower is absurdly high for everyday driving, and unless you are a fool, the situations when the extra grip from fatter tires is something you will truly use will be almost non-existent.

If you want to make the car truly handle neutrally, shave the control arms (Sector 111 has a kit, or folks know how to do it on their own, look for "Charley arm" threads) and lower the front perch. I did it two years ago and it was the perfect thing to a stock suspension/wheel/tire setup.

If you're after looks, then you just gotta go with what makes you happy.

I've found the ideal compromise to have a set of dedicated track weekend wheels and tires, and pretty much run the stock wheels/tires the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I would do 2, you are right about 1. On the street these competition tires are not as predicatable as UHP street tires. will have you grinning ear to ear on a track though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have been running your #2 for a couple or years. Very good on the road and good on the track. Only ok at the autocross.

I have just put your #3 on the car. They feel good but too soon to say much except that at full steering lock they rub. First autocross next Sunday.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends what you really want. Here's my experience--

For driving dynamics on the street, every 10mm of width on the front robs you of a bit of steering feel. I run both the 175mm Advans and the 195mm Yokos on LSS wheels, and there is no doubt that the narrower wheels feel better in everyday driving. When I first got my car, the original owner stuck 205's on the front. The car felt like crap. The stock Advans and the LSS wheels/tires are really fantastically matched to the car's dynamics.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lotus got the call right when it chose the tire sizes it did. The larger diameter tires on the LSS setup are fine if you're doing a HP weekend, but are really a bit of a compromise for daily driving on the street. The grip even with the stock tires narrower is absurdly high for everyday driving, and unless you are a fool, the situations when the extra grip from fatter tires is something you will truly use will be almost non-existent.

If you want to make the car truly handle neutrally, shave the control arms (Sector 111 has a kit, or folks know how to do it on their own, look for "Charley arm" threads) and lower the front perch. I did it two years ago and it was the perfect thing to a stock suspension/wheel/tire setup.

If you're after looks, then you just gotta go with what makes you happy.

I've found the ideal compromise to have a set of dedicated track weekend wheels and tires, and pretty much run the stock wheels/tires the rest of the time.
Thanks. As a general theme I'm trying to keep my car SCCA Solo SS legal which would remove from consideration the shaving of the steering arms.

I guess what I'm trying to do is talk myself into the Toyo R888 tires in the stock sizes for street driving and the occasional track event unless someone tells me that is a terrible plan. Perhaps I never use the full potential of the tires when street driven but it's not as if I am creating a dangerous situation unless I encounter severe weather to which I have no plans of doing so.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been running your #2 for a couple or years. Very good on the road and good on the track. Only ok at the autocross.

I have just put your #3 on the car. They feel good but too soon to say much except that at full steering lock they rub. First autocross next Sunday.
Thanks. For #3 did you go with the wider 245 tires and are experiencing the rubbing? Let me know how it works out after the auto-x.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Would like to second that on the OEM sizing...
Some silly boys slapped 205's onto my OEM base wheels...
> Bulge
> Heavy front steering
> Rubbing on plastic lining wheel retainer

>> Switched to stock size, and front end feels light as a feather...
>> Turn in improved
>> Hard to tell if any grip was actually lost... it's so nimble...

Will install LSS with fresh Yoko AO48 LTS from TR sale in just a few days...
Will do some GoPro / Driving Feel comparisons~

Thanks for the great info / experience / opinions above. Useful data~
~B

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up going with the Toyo R888. All spirited street driving since. No regrets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
okay im about due for tires as well...has factory sizes now but crappy kumho ecstas asx
so really what are the choices for factory sizes? crap and more crap OR seriously exspensive and low life.

I drive my car every day and yes i like to drive hard but A048 and 7k miles is not an option at 1000$ and suck in the rain do i love the grip...duh
lots of options in the 205.45/16 line up but everyone keeps saying it feels like crap? WHY exactly?
how much rubbing? and only at full lock or on bumps too?

frustrating options!!

even th ad07 is a 1000$ bucks! come on

so in the 650 or under range what do we have that make for good daily drivers with spirit and good grip around 300 or under tread wear??

so here are a couple of thoughts:

GT champiro tread wear 280....195/50-16 x 245/40-17...320$ delivered (never heard of these tires before)
dunlop direzza dz 101 tread wear 300 same sizes...440$ delivered
toyo proxes R888 treadwear 100 stock sizes 800$ plus shipping?? how are they in the rain though?

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
The Dunlop Direzza DZ102 comes in the LSS stock sizes. I'm considering these for my next set.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I want to use Yokohama Advan AD08 since I drive primarily on the street.

Unfortunately the fronts only come in 205/55/16, any one ever done it?

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,627 Posts
The Dunlop Direzza DZ102 comes in the LSS stock sizes. I'm considering these for my next set.
Take a look at the UTQG numbers for the DZ101's vs the DZ102's. I went with the DZ101's based on them being closer to the Yokohama UTQG. I still have only a few miles on them, so impossible to tell how I'll like them long-term. I don't mind a little more tread life, but I don't want them to be long-life, no fun tires.

--Bob Collum

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Take a look at the UTQG numbers for the DZ101's vs the DZ102's. I went with the DZ101's based on them being closer to the Yokohama UTQG. I still have only a few miles on them, so impossible to tell how I'll like them long-term. I don't mind a little more tread life, but I don't want them to be long-life, no fun tires.

--Bob Collum
I see your point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts